Slight pinging on initial throttle tip-in

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Running my Bama 93 Torque tune...and this is doesn't happen consistently, but it does from time to time...bad gas is my guess. I want to back off on the timing..so I guess when I go to reload the tune, I

1) select "Enter Optional Parameters", then set the gears to 4.10's, then cancel back out and then go to the timing parameter, right?
2) Now, do I back off 1 degree, or 2 or what? Is 1 degree a lot?

Thanks!

07SHELBY GT

Running my Bama 93 Torque tune...and this is doesn't happen consistently, but it does from time to time...bad gas is my guess. I want to back off on the timing..so I guess when I go to reload the tune, I

1) select "Enter Optional Parameters", then set the gears to 4.10's, then cancel back out and then go to the timing parameter, right?
2) Now, do I back off 1 degree, or 2 or what? Is 1 degree a lot?

Thanks!
What kind o tuner are you using?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
back off 1 degree. if it solves it awesome. if not. go another degree

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Done: 0-2000 rpm it only allowed decreaseing by 2º jumps, but 2000-4000 and 4000-8000 it allowed -1º. I also decreased rev limiters from 6800 to 6300 rpm (my hp peaks at 5600 anyway), and idle rpm from 850 to 800 (like the stock tune). Let's hope it works. I actually emailed Doug, explained the issue, and asked him for 91Tq and 91Race tunes to accomodate what seems to be occasional off-spec fuel.
FYI, I had to hook up a battery charger to the battery so the xCal would work, otherwise it would time-out...CR at Tillman taught me that...

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Took it for a test-drive: No noticeable loss in tq/power, and no pinging at all, but I gotta drive it much more to make sure that the modification solved the intermittent problem.

Spanked a modded G35 in the process (70-100 mph pulled a couple car lengths on him).

Then, reflashed and raised the idle rpm to 850 again, and the rev limiters to 6400 (I hit the rev limiter at 6300 during the test drive).

Thanks again for the encouragement Ron...I actually hadn't had the courage to mess with any optional stuff before...but now that I know how it works, it's a cinch!

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dude! Believe it or not I only put Shell V-Supreme 93 in it...but I do buy it at different stations...most recently from the one at Blackhawk and 528...avoid that one! Usually I use the one on I-45 (Southbound), just past the McDonalds South of Scarsdale.

Actually, I think Doug's tunes are a little aggressive on timing...remember Mike had to back of the 93Race tune during the dyno-tweak because it was tripping the knock sensors into backing timing off...

matt texass

Reaction score
hmmm i had this problem back in the day when i used to buy 87 from kroger but when im at home I have had the best luck with that shell 93 by kroger.....

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The one at FM2351 and 518? I also have had good luck with Chevron (which is also an American brand, AND the company I now work for)

matt texass

Reaction score
yup thats where i get my gas when im at home. Im running dougs tunes right now by the way i got cmcv deletes and mike has sworn off mustangs lol...... he's stuck on chevy we need another ford tuner

matt texass

Reaction score
lol i never had to pay.... but he's always been a chevy guy with 99 FRC and his impys. He'll prolly end up dong them agian or get another ford tuner but the last time I saw him he was prolly just frustrated. But he does love his "procharger vette" package doesnt he. (there is always one in there getting that done if not 2 or 3)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back