Stamped cats

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have kooks longtubes and xpipe with hi-flow mini cats welded in (pypes brand). They said it wont pass inspection because theres no dot stamp on the cat. Wtf the same place passed my car last year with the same exhuast. Called a few places including kooks to try and find a dot stamped cat and most dont have it.

What to do....

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And they wrote on my slip "no catalytic converters" wtf!
He tired to tell me they were resonaters when i told him i had cats, now im pissed off.

Last edited:

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
what if...and this is a BIG what if,lol. Is there any way you can split the stock cats in half, and put them over your aftermarket cats? Kind of like a casing around yur cats. That way they would have everything the stock cats have on the outside. Then, just take them off when your done with inspection. Kinda hard to explain, but I can see it in my head!lol

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I understand what your saying but they wont fit over it these mini cats barely fit on the kooks offroad xpipe. I dont think any aftermarket cat is stamped are they? So that basicly means i have to have stock exhuast. This is crap.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would pass emissions "sniff" obviously because it has cats. VA its just the vis inspection. And they were under my car for at least 20 minutes on the lift with the book open. It was treadquarters on indian river. same place my car passed last year.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.... they were under my car for at least 20 minutes on the lift with the book open. ....

Just one of many reasons why I take my car to a place that doesn't have a lift :thumb2:

You've got my curiosity up now. Next time I am in the attic I am going to have to look at my stock cats for this DOT stamp you are talking about.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I am not sure if my magnflow cats had a stamp on them, but they are supposed to be 49 state legal. And we can all guess the one state they are not legal in.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
One thing lightblade is forgetting to mention was that this was a new guy doing his inspection. Me thinks he was using lightblade as a practice run or he was jealous of the car. In any event a quick google search turned this up. It says nothing about a DOT number.

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

"If the vehicle is out of warranty, the price of a new original equipment
converter (or set of converters) could cost anywhere from $300 to $1,000. Because of this problem
and the sometimes scarce availability of the new original equipment converters, EPA believes that
less expensive yet still effective aftermarket converters give vehicle owners more incentive to replace
their worn-out converters, keeping our air cleaner.
Since the effectiveness of converters depends on their durability, performance, and proper
application, EPA has required aftermarket converters to meet certain minimum performance standards
while also requiring installers to install the appropriate converters. These requirements make
* The 1990 Amendments to the Clean Air Act expanded this prohibition to "any person" and not just individuals in the
service and repair industry.
-2-
everyone 'play by the same rules' while maximizing the air quality benefits obtained. The policy
contains other warranty, reporting and record keeping requirements which make it possible for EPA
to enforce the requirements and ensure that the customers get what they pay for."

Your fine dude. If you are having any other trouble give Rick at Ricks Car Care a call. He's never done inspection for me but has done a lot of exhaust and transmission work and has proven to be a pretty cool guy.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
They do not have a dot stamp on them, I just got some Magnaflow 54956's yesterday and they only have the part # stamped on them and they are 49 state legal. They come with the legal docs and everything. The stockers dont have a DOT number either (i just looked at them) just ford part # shit just like every other part on the car. And even if the stockers did he would never been able to read it on the car lol. Tell him to f himself your cats are fine

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got it taken care of now :). Yeah im still pretty upset about it but. Needless to say i will never go there again.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
I got it taken care of now :). Yeah im still pretty upset about it but. Needless to say i will never go there again.

Bring your stang over to my work next time. The S/I guys will pass it as long as they "see" that it has cats on it regardless of any number stampings.

That was def some bs. Glad you got it taken care of though.

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bring your stang over to my work next time. (AAA Car Care Center on Great Neck Rd.). The S/I guys will pass it as long as they "see" that it has cats on it regardless of any number stampings.

Another fine example of needing to be careful what you say and how you say it on a public internet forum.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
Another fine example of needing to be careful what you say and how you say it on a public internet forum.

Why do you say that? I mean ANY inspection station should pass it. I didn't see anything in the manual saying it can be failed in his case (no numbers). I am by no means offering or suggesting anything wrong or illegal. I'm just stating that there should not be any issues as long as the car has cats in the first place, which is his case. Unless I didn't read into it enough, then in that case... my fault.

I was simply saying that he wouldn't get rejected for no reason and have to go through all the bs... thats all.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back