The Definitive "Hard To Shift" Thread

pullmeoverorange

forum member
Reaction score
May not work for you but i pulled my sons trans apart this weekend thinking I needed syncros for third and only had to replace the shifting pads. The plastic had got caught up in between the syncros shifts fine now.

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The CHE K-Memeber Brace with Torque Limiters and the Pannzoil Synchromesh were no help to my shifting issue.

I have been reading up on Barton Industries new shifter for 05 - 10 Stangs. I have talked with them via e-mail and they say this should do the trick.

Well... I ordered one! I'll be pulling my HURST as soon as the UPS truck shows up. I'll let you know how it works.

This is what one of Barton's reps told me...

Hey Brian,
Our shifter should GREATLY help your problem. The problem is deflection and slop. The Hurst helps with deflection a little but not enough to eliminate your issue, as far as slop, they do not have any centering springs to bring the shifter back to perfect position for the 3rd gear shift.
Thanks,
Dave Moses
Barton Industries

Here is a link to Barton's shifter...

http://www.bartonindustries.com/2005-2010-Mustang-GT.html

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
let us know how that shifter works for you. I tried the syncromesh and the che brace, didnt help, so I replaced my centerforce DF clutch with a Spec Stage 3+. Shifts great now but I know my Hurst isnt the best shifter I could have.

jjleomustang

I'm Addicted
Reaction score
I was originally going to get the Barton when it too was adjustable in throw, Then I got an email saying they were going to keep it fixed throw so I decided to go with MGW for the adjustability.

I really liked how the Barton was adjustable from inside the car...When they took that away they lost me as a customer!!

This is what one of Barton's reps told me...

Hey Brian,
Our shifter should GREATLY help your problem. The problem is deflection and slop. The Hurst helps with deflection a little but not enough to eliminate your issue, as far as slop, they do not have any centering springs to bring the shifter back to perfect position for the 3rd gear shift.
Thanks,
Dave Moses
Barton Industries
And I'm sorry to say he is just trying to sell shifters!! But I hope it works great for you!!!

Last edited:

Fryblade

Fireblade Graphics
Reaction score
My friend just tore his tranny down. On the end of the shifting forks the little plastic ears are either loose or have fallen off. Im assuming the warmer the tranny gets the looser these little ears become and its putting the shifting forks in a bind. Im on my cell right now and not able to post pics or get into great details about it.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Those little black plastic parts are for NVH, not a big deal, D&D sell them in brass, mite be worth a try.

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
So the Barton shifter finally got here.

It looks like a high quality piece of equipment and I’m very impressed with the design. It is definitely spring loaded as the shifter doesn’t move at all without force. Of course that was before it was bolted in the car, little leverage.

So I pulled out the Hurst and bolted in the Barton. I’m not cutting on Hurst as I think the company is a legend in the muscle car world. But there is no comparison between the two shifters. The Hurst base is stamped steel while the Barton is solid aluminum. Where the Barton is spring loaded and the shifter doesn’t move the Hurst shifter flops all over the place.
Here are a couple pictures to show you the differences.
Shifter010.jpg

Shifter008.jpg

So I have only driven the car on the street so far but I did run her up to about 5500 RPMs in second a couple times and I gave her one good hard launch and she shifted perfect every time. I won’t be hitting it hard until June 24th when the Flashlight Drags come back to town.

The best way to explain the shifter is that neutral seems to line up directly between 3rd and 4th gear. So you have to apply pressure to move it over to 1st and 2nd as well as over the 5th and reverse. So the springs bring it back to the center (between 3rd and 4th) every time. I always think of neutral l being in the center of the H-pattern. But in this case it feels like it’s to the right a little off center.
I think this is the fix! :thumb2:

I’ll give you an update on my thoughts after the drags.
For now… Thanks Barton for this awesome shifter!

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Well, I seem to be having some issues now shifting into 2nd. I really have to granny shift, at first I was thinking its because of the new stuff..but then I thought maybe its my syncro's or something. So the new setup is a rxt, spec aluminum flywheel, new throw out bearing. I have solid motor mounts, and a triax shifter. I have rp syncromesh with less then 3000miles on it in there.

During hard acceleration when shifting into second, if I clutch to the floor, pull back too fast, it grinds. Doesn't seem to while grabbing third, but it's still hard to grab gears. Any idea's?

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
Update…
The BARTON Industries shifter is the bomb!
If you don’t have one you don’t know what you are missing!
2nd to 3rd shifting issues have been completely solved!

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
So its the mgw spring load? If not I think I will start saving for the barton one.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, it is spring loaded.

BTW, I have been dealing with shifting into 2nd issues with my 6060 and replaced the alu flywheel with a steel one, kept the RXT, installed a MGW shifter and filled it with redline MTS and now is shifting awesome.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, it is spring loaded.

BTW, I have been dealing with shifting into 2nd issues with my 6060 and replaced the alu flywheel with a steel one, kept the RXT, installed a MGW shifter and filled it with redline MTS and now is shifting awesome.

I'm having those issues now with my stock car. I Already ordered an MGW, we'll see how that goes I guess.

JanShelbyGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Update. Just finished installing some poly engine mounts and MGW shifter. The engine mounts were a bit of a pain and made the engine higher, had to take off the front bar.MGW shifter was easy to installed and is a nice throwing, easy shifter. The shifting has improved in 90%. I can shift 1st to 2nd, fast, the car even gets sideways! 2nd to 3rd goes in with a bit of grinding. At this point, i think i need to change the syncrhos for 3rd. It goes in. But with this grinding, i know eventually it is goint to get worse. I have already installed all the goodies. RST clutch, che brace, poly engine mounts, new slave, MGW shifter. Only thing left is the syncros or the ram release bearing. I have seen the TR3650 syncros kit go for 499 dollars on ebay. Is there any where cheaper? Should i just buy a new or used tranny for 750? I already have spent close to 2K on this problem without a definitive solution.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I'm having those issues now with my stock car. I Already ordered an MGW, we'll see how that goes I guess.

There was some TSB for this where even some trans got replaced, IIRC it was related to the stock slave not slipping well over the input shaft so after all the damaged parts were replaced they indicated some lube for it.

As your car has "the most expensive clutch summit sales" is hard to point what your issue may be, but I would start by looking into an RXT.

I changed the FW as I hated its behavior while start rolling the car with the alu one, it was somehow expected but not that bad. I have to repair a MM caster/camber plate and maybe replace a damaged tokico to have a 600rwhp car that feels stock everywhere.

Trevorusn

Reaction score
LOL, looks like I'll join the club too. Even stock , shifting hard into 3rd has been difficult at times, its also the only real negative perfromance-wise for this car, so I'm subscribing to this thread for more updates!! The Barton shifter looks mighty tempting...

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
Sunday was the first time I really got to put the BARTON shifter to the test.
I made 6 or 7 1/8 mile passes shifting from 2nd to 3rd around 6000 RPMs with no issues at all. With my other shifter I would have been lucky to find 3rd on two passes. I’m sure I had a big smile on my face every time it slipped right into 3rd gear. I really like the BARTON shifter!

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
I never had a 4th to 3rd down shift problem but then again I’m never down shifting at high RPMs.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back