The Great Oil Debate

KonaBlueKiller

Reaction score
this is a stupid quick question, and i could google it but I'm lazy lol. How many QTs go into the transmission when you swap fluids? I'm offshore and not home or I'd just glance at my owners manual. Also sometimes those numbers are slightly off so I figured yall would have an exact amount it usually takes after draining.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
this is a stupid quick question, and i could google it but I'm lazy lol. How many QTs go into the transmission when you swap fluids? I'm offshore and not home or I'd just glance at my owners manual. Also sometimes those numbers are slightly off so I figured yall would have an exact amount it usually takes after draining.

2.7qts.

11SilverSheep

Reaction score
First post here, but I've been watching this and was curious. It seems like no matter what you use (MTG, MTL, RP), there isn't a huge improvement (the niggles going away, etc) until it gets to op temp. So has anybody noticed if any get there faster, without getting too hot later?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
First post here, but I've been watching this and was curious. It seems like no matter what you use (MTG, MTL, RP), there isn't a huge improvement (the niggles going away, etc) until it gets to op temp. So has anybody noticed if any get there faster, without getting too hot later?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've been commuting to work all winter and the BG fluid has made an immense improvement in shifting in very cold weather, even before getting all the way up to operating temps.

LindsayEOD

forum member
Reaction score
I've been commuting to work all winter and the BG fluid has made an immense improvement in shifting in very cold weather, even before getting all the way up to operating temps.

Grimace: Are you going to stick with BG or are you going to try something else?

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
Grimace: Are you going to stick with BG or are you going to try something else?

I'm pretty happy with it and see no reason to change. I started using it because my dealer stocks it and I get a dealer discount. The experience I've had with it in customer vehicles before using it in my car has always been great. So far I have about 14,000ish miles total on the BG Syncro Shift II fluid.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like MTG is well regarded, except when cold because of it's higher viscosity. Any reason why two quarts of MTG couldn't be used mixed with one quart of Amsoil MTF in order to thin it down just a little? Perhaps get the best of both worlds?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I know LESS about oil now than before I read this thread!!!!!!!!!

wow.......:thud::crazy: M1 FTW!!:nk:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
re-read my post. Penzoil caused the problem. I know penzoil caused it, its a fact. Its blown two different engines, and when i rebuilt them with royal purple they were fine.

mobil1 has burnt oil in EVERY single car i have used it in FACT. Penzoil has blown 2 of my engines. I know for a fact its shitty oil, i would NEVER buy penzoil.

there is no way that 2 different cars would blow with penzoil if it wasnt the oil, because i rebuilt them perfectly, when i did it again and fixed the rod bearings the exact same way i did the first time, i used royal purple and they are are both still going strong 8 years later with 100+ k on them!

Penzoil worst oil every, mobil1 burns too much oil!

Lmao, you're rediculous. That's why my old explorer is still kicking at 300k miles and has used nothing but Pennzoil right? Pennzoil didnt cause your motors to blow, they were going to die anyway. An oil is not going to hold your decrepid piece of shit motor together.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Lmao, you're rediculous. That's why my old explorer is still kicking at 300k miles and has used nothing but Pennzoil right? Pennzoil didnt cause your motors to blow, they were going to die anyway. An oil is not going to hold your decrepid piece of shit motor together.

This is akin to wiring your house for some Christmas lights and not knowing what you're doing. And then, when you lose your home to an electrical fire, you blame the power company for sending you "bad" electricity.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
This is akin to wiring your house for some Christmas lights and not knowing what you're doing. And then, when you lose your home to an electrical fire, you blame the power company for sending you "bad" electricity.

Christmas-Vacation-Clark-Griswold-Lights.jpg

ChristmasVactionHouse.jpg

clarkgriswaldchistmasvacation.jpeg

:roflmao:

I just bought 10 quarts(2 (5)gallon jugs) of M1 5W-20 for an oil change. I got 170 miles on it so it's time for a change!

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Holy crap that's funny.:clap:

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
for those that have aluminator 4.6 3v..what are the clearances and what weight are u guys that have them running? reason i ask is because roush recommends 5w50 for their forged motors as well as jdm and few other people but i see alot of peeps with forged motors here running 5w20-30 (which to me difference seems negligible). im approaching oil change on recent aluminator build and wondering if i should go up to heavier oil to help out valvetrain noise. thanks

s197cajungt

Reaction score
Turbo Modular Engine Oil ???

Ok I have been reading alot about engine oil and valve train componet failures on our modular engines, some say 5w20, some say 5w30, 10w? etc. for our engines. What about turbo modular engine oil being that you get more oil break-down due to excessive heat? EXAMPLE; The block assembly manufacture reccommend this weight of oil, valve train assembly manufacture reccommends another, and turbo requires a certain weight, Where do you comprimize?
I have had 2 roller followers go out in the last month, one on each bank. I been using 15w40 sense build approx. 10,000 mi., oil psi was good, and changed regular.
My question is, What would be the best oil for turbo modular engine? 4.6 3v stroked to 5.0 with turbo.

reefblue93

forum member
Reaction score

Well..... my first vehicle was a 79 GMC Jimmy. The transmission went out so we decided to replace the motor while we were at it. When I pulled the lower intake, it looked like 5 lbs of coal had built up on the underside of the intake valley. Penzoil was all that had been used in that 350. Now I will agree with you on the fact that it probably wasn't the common thread in those motors going, but I haven't used it since the day I saw that lower intake....

s197cajungt

Reaction score
cajun why dont you try running 10w30

Looking to switch after we finish the repairs, but why 10w-30 and not 5w-30 sense it flows better at start-up. just woundering. I know I was using 15w-40 but that's what was reccommended to me, no questions asked. Not sure how the 30 weight is going to act with blow-by.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back