Thinking about a dyno tune - couple questions

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I may be in the SAC area this summer on a trip to the CA coast and I'm thinking about having the car tuned while I'm down there. The plan is to get a catless x or h pipe and have the car put on the dyno. 91 pump tune.

My question is how much hp am I leaving on the table by keeping the stock airbox and stock mufflers in the picture?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
350x219px-LL-9981b047_anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-used-on-forums-22779-1307655858-12_preview.gif

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
2013 5.0 6R80 3.15 gearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If this is the new car, nothing. Maybe 5 hp. Not enough to justify buying new. Now if you want one for looks buy used.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would get an email tune from a reputable tuner and then datalog it so they can make adjustments based on your conditions.

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
The real question you are forgetting to ask is how fast it will go in the 1/4 and what hp/tq you can expect.

With that said, you are leaving mountains of power on the table, find the most expensive tuner out there and let er rip.

Edit: This reminds me of the types of question I constantly see on the s197forum facebook group, they make my head hurt.

Last edited:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I got a JLT intake and tooooon combo from AM on a cyber monday deal. The difference in price between the package and just a tuner wasn't very big, and I had been told they make cool noises. I like the noises it makes more than the money I would have ended up saving.

And leaving the stock mufflers on the car should be classified as a crime against humanity. Too many tinny 4 cylinder cars around making bad noises.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
An explanation is apparently necessary.

Sometimes when I post a question like this here it is to see what the genius bar has to say about it. Because I trust the answers I get here more than I do anywhere else. Let's just say if I hadn't read conflicting information elsewhere I wouldn't have bothered in the first place to post such a "basic" question.

Regarding the tune. An email tune is really going to be better than driving the car down to CA and putting it on the dyno? Really?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Sometimes when I post a question like this here it is to see what the genius bar has to say about it. Because I trust the answers I get here more than I do anywhere else. Let's just say if I hadn't read conflicting information elsewhere I wouldn't have bothered in the first place to post such a "basic" question.

Regarding the tune. An email tune is really going to be better than driving the car down to CA and putting it on the dyno? Really?

Fair question. On AFM you would have seen 200 guys read and not one post answering the question.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the dyno at the same altitude you drive in normally? Is the dyno loaded? Im a firm believer in datalogging on the street and getting an accurate reading of what the car is doing in its normal everyday conditions. Its a choice really. Some believe a dyno is better, i dont. Look at all the big name tuners and they do a majority of street logging. You cant simulate everything on a dyno.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

With the right tuner it's going to be better. Datalogging real world info is much better than spinning an unloaded dyno, making a glory run and then taking timing out for the real load your motor will feel on the highway.

A loaded dyno is another story. I tuned my car with street pulls and took it to the dyno to get the high speed datalogs that would get me in trouble on the street.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Dunno if its a loaded dyno or not. I was going to take it to AED and have them tune it.

Elevation is a 3500' difference. Density altitude can get up to 6500' here in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
So I guess I'm leaning towards the road tune then after thinking about this for a while. I have been told custom TiVCT settings that can be made on the dyno (as it is a tool to verify gains / losses from minor adjustments like Cam timing) can not be done on the street.

Regardless the fuel up here is different and probably better than that available in CA so that alone may make it worth doing a road tune here.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back