What have you done to your mustang today?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It's the Roush kit. Roush will sell you anything you want down to the badging. All Roushes are just upfitted mustangs. None are titled Roush. The ones done by Roush get a tag on the inner fender, but are titled as Mustangs unlike most Shelby's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How long ago did you purchase your Roush kit? From my understanding Roush discontinued production of their S/C kits for 2005-10 S197 models. I've also checked their website and nothing comes up :shrug:

Just finished relocating my battery to the trunk.

I used the original battery tray (heavily modified with bench grinder lol) and hold down, (along with a billet dress up hold down I already had). Used all the original terminal cables, and made my own distributor post for everything to connect to under the hood. The only thing I purchased for this mod is a 25’ 1 gauge red cable on Amazon. Only trick was making a really good ground connection in the trunk. Works great!

Just before that installed a prepainted Cervini’s ram air hood.

View attachment 74709

View attachment 74710

View attachment 74711

View attachment 74712

View attachment 74713

View attachment 74714

View attachment 74715

View attachment 74716

Just came across your post and noticed you have a Saleen Series VI 2.3L S/C and was curious as to how long you've been running it? I also run one as well and would like to know if you've run into any heat related issues with the alternator due to Saleen's relocation requirement of having to mount it in front of the engine, facing backwards? I'd also really appreciate any knowledge you may have as to how to go about checking/changing the Saleen VI S/C oil without having to uninstall the water crossover pipe and alternator if possible :shrug:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
@06 T-RED S/C GT as far as checking the Saleen oil, you can by a dipstick from 281 motorsports. Changing the fuild, well um a Turkey baster or something like that and suck it out. At least that's what Saleen told me. You won't get every drop out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
@06 T-RED S/C GT as far as checking the Saleen oil, you can by a dipstick from 281 motorsports. Changing the fuild, well um a Turkey baster or something like that and suck it out. At least that's what Saleen told me. You won't get every drop out.

Can this be done without having to uninstall the water crossover pipe and alternator?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can this be done without having to uninstall the water crossover pipe and alternator?
That sir I can not answer as of yet. Installing the dipstick will be one of my winter projects and as far as charging the oil, I don't see why not. May have to be a little creative but doable.

bmeaggie

Reaction score
How long ago did you purchase your Roush kit? From my understanding Roush discontinued production of their S/C kits for 2005-10 S197 models. I've also checked their website and nothing comes up :shrug:

Just came across your post and noticed you have a Saleen Series VI 2.3L S/C and was curious as to how long you've been running it? I also run one as well and would like to know if you've run into any heat related issues with the alternator due to Saleen's relocation requirement of having to mount it in front of the engine, facing backwards? I'd also really appreciate any knowledge you may have as to how to go about checking/changing the Saleen VI S/C oil without having to uninstall the water crossover pipe and alternator if possible :shrug:

Great questions for sure.

For background, I bought this car about a year ago and the Saleen was already on it. Service history indicates it’s been there since 2008 and has 60,000-65,000 miles on it with two oil changes: one at around 40,000 miles and I just changed again it myself at 75,000 miles. I’ve done almost every other mod in my signature myself in my garage since buying the car. The car runs flawlessly on E85 tuned remotely by VMP... boost gauge shows max of 15-16 PSI on the SC (with Brenspeed Detroit Rocket Blower Cams). I’ve put a little over 5,000 miles on her since the purchase.

So regarding alternator, the alternator was aging when I bought the car... headlights dimmed/flickered a bit. So I replaced it with a generic from Autozone and that"s worked great. So no issues there. I’ve actually done some research on the spinning backwards and everything I can find says that logically the reverse spin shouldn’t matter... and based on my experience I don’t think it does.

On the oil changing/checking... removing the two alternator bolts and setting it aside is really no big deal... and I guess I’ve done this so many times for other activities that I just don’t mind. Same with removing the intake tube... routine stuff. That crossover pipe is another story and I didn’t want to touch that either, and you don’t have to. You just need a tiny ratchet to which you insert a Allen bit to turn the plug. I’m providing a picture of the one I use, which was recommended to me by other series VI owners. With this little guy you can get a couple of clicks in each direction as you loosen and remove the oil change bolt. You then use a oil siphon pump to pump out the old dirty oil and then pump in new clean supercharger oil (which I get at Summit). To check the oil I just stick a clear colored tie wrap end down in there a little and make sure the oil is at the top and not looking dark/dirty. Also providing a couple of pics showing the bolt behind the alternator. Look center of pic and you can see the bottom half of the top of the bolt in the light.

Happy to answer more questions anytime... I pretty much know this car inside-out by now... have taken a lot of it apart and modified many things.

9881C43C-A886-4496-BE77-68DCD5FB3DB5.jpeg

5E9363DE-C740-4E8B-A6D7-63E4A0F1EBDF.jpeg

66FB960C-2B6D-4D96-983A-844EDF3936AC.jpeg

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Began the winter tare down, inspection today. Have a clutch problem to diagnose and repair. Ordered a roll bar a week ago that’s 6 weeks out and I’m thinking about stepping up a little higher in cams. Valve covers and timing cover are coming off for inspection anyway. I have a Ford Racing timing set to freshen up the front of the engine and will use a steel crank sprocket. Time for a SFI damper as well.

6E308ABE-AD4B-42FC-A424-ADD58292CBDE.jpeg

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
I'm dead certain that AWD will be an option on the Mustang within a couple years, once the next model comes out, which will be on the new RWD-based '20+ Explorer platform.

"Mustang"

Just finished relocating my battery to the trunk.

I used the original battery tray (heavily modified with bench grinder lol) and hold down, (along with a billet dress up hold down I already had). Used all the original terminal cables, and made my own distributor post for everything to connect to under the hood. The only thing I purchased for this mod is a 25’ 1 gauge red cable on Amazon. Only trick was making a really good ground connection in the trunk. Works great!

Just before that installed a prepainted Cervini’s ram air hood.

View attachment 74709

View attachment 74710

View attachment 74711

View attachment 74712

View attachment 74713

View attachment 74714

View attachment 74715

View attachment 74716

Ferrada wheels? Great fitment. What specs did you have to go with?

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I’d love to find a Saleen SuperShaker SC, just because of the fully functional shaker. I know it’s not the most efficient, but it gets huge style points with me.
From a money pit and performance perspective, DOB seems to be the clear winner on cost VS gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmeaggie

Reaction score
I’d love to find a Saleen SuperShaker SC, just because of the fully functional shaker. I know it’s not the most efficient, but it gets huge style points with me.
From a money pit and performance perspective, DOB seems to be the clear winner on cost VS gains.

Agree... if I ever replace the 2.3l Saleen VI, it will be with DOB’s manifold/adapter for 3V’s combined with a larger DOB, Roush or Whipple SC. For a 3V that is the way to go if starting over now, IMO.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Great questions for sure.

For background, I bought this car about a year ago and the Saleen was already on it. Service history indicates it’s been there since 2008 and has 60,000-65,000 miles on it with two oil changes: one at around 40,000 miles and I just changed again it myself at 75,000 miles. I’ve done almost every other mod in my signature myself in my garage since buying the car. The car runs flawlessly on E85 tuned remotely by VMP... boost gauge shows max of 15-16 PSI on the SC (with Brenspeed Detroit Rocket Blower Cams). I’ve put a little over 5,000 miles on her since the purchase.

So regarding alternator, the alternator was aging when I bought the car... headlights dimmed/flickered a bit. So I replaced it with a generic from Autozone and that"s worked great. So no issues there. I’ve actually done some research on the spinning backwards and everything I can find says that logically the reverse spin shouldn’t matter... and based on my experience I don’t think it does.

On the oil changing/checking... removing the two alternator bolts and setting it aside is really no big deal... and I guess I’ve done this so many times for other activities that I just don’t mind. Same with removing the intake tube... routine stuff. That crossover pipe is another story and I didn’t want to touch that either, and you don’t have to. You just need a tiny ratchet to which you insert a Allen bit to turn the plug. I’m providing a picture of the one I use, which was recommended to me by other series VI owners. With this little guy you can get a couple of clicks in each direction as you loosen and remove the oil change bolt. You then use a oil siphon pump to pump out the old dirty oil and then pump in new clean supercharger oil (which I get at Summit). To check the oil I just stick a clear colored tie wrap end down in there a little and make sure the oil is at the top and not looking dark/dirty. Also providing a couple of pics showing the bolt behind the alternator. Look center of pic and you can see the bottom half of the top of the bolt in the light.

Happy to answer more questions anytime... I pretty much know this car inside-out by now... have taken a lot of it apart and modified many things.

View attachment 74729

View attachment 74730

View attachment 74731
Your actually the first person on this site who actually took the time to provide in depth technical knowledge from personal experience to fully address each and every question/concern regarding where exactly the oil change bolt is located and how to get access without having to drain the radiator coolant and then uninstall the water crossover pipe which IMHO is totally ridiculous to go through just in order to check/change S/C oil lol. Needless to say, the images you provided were also extremely very helpful as well.

Also want to say thanks for providing your research on the reverse spin of the alternator along with your own experience that there is no reason for concern regarding changes in the operation nor contributing to the possibility of causing any type of premature damage due from overheating. At any rate, I was seriously considering looking into the possibility of making the switch from the Saleen series VI S/C to either the Edelbrock e-force S/C or one of the DOB GT-450 S/C kits. But thanks to your knowledge, personal experience and info you've provided, there is no logical purpose I can think of that would require the need for having to start all over again from scratch when it's not necessary. That being said, it appears I'll be sticking with the Saleen VI S/C after all. Meanwhile, if I didn't welcome you to the forums when you first came on board back in July? then here's a belated welcome aboard and also glad your now part of the S197 community :waytogo:

bmeaggie

Reaction score
Your actually the first person on this site who actually took the time to provide in depth technical knowledge from personal experience to fully address each and every question/concern regarding where exactly the oil change bolt is located and how to get access without having to drain the radiator coolant and then uninstall the water crossover pipe which IMHO is totally ridiculous to go through just in order to check/change S/C oil lol. Needless to say, the images you provided were also extremely very helpful as well.

Also want to say thanks for providing your research on the reverse spin of the alternator along with your own experience that there is no reason for concern regarding changes in the operation nor contributing to the possibility of causing any type of premature damage due from overheating. At any rate, I was seriously considering looking into the possibility of making the switch from the Saleen series VI S/C to either the Edelbrock e-force S/C or one of the DOB GT-450 S/C kits. But thanks to your knowledge, personal experience and info you've provided, there is no logical purpose I can think of that would require the need for having to start all over again from scratch when it's not necessary. That being said, it appears I'll be sticking with the Saleen VI S/C after all. Meanwhile, if I didn't welcome you to the forums when you first came on board back in July? then here's a belated welcome aboard and also glad your now part of the S197 community :waytogo:

I appreciate all that... I really do. Sharing info is what these boards are all about. My wife doesn’t like me to spend money so install all my own stuff. The end result is good because I’ve learned a ton about this car and the Saleen VI.

The Saleen VI is actually a very good, reliable supercharger that makes good power for a 2.3l. I would never replace mine unless I came to a point where I knew I needed more displacement. It’s such a big investment to change the SC, especially on a car that isn’t exactly worth all that much on the market. Glad you will be sticking with it!

Spinning mine with a 2.8” SC and metro OD crank pulley, the whine is great too!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I appreciate all that... I really do. Sharing info is what these boards are all about. My wife doesn’t like me to spend money so install all my own stuff. The end result is good because I’ve learned a ton about this car and the Saleen VI.

The Saleen VI is actually a very good, reliable supercharger that makes good power for a 2.3l. I would never replace mine unless I came to a point where I knew I needed more displacement. It’s such a big investment to change the SC, especially on a car that isn’t exactly worth all that much on the market. Glad you will be sticking with it!

Spinning mine with a 2.8” SC and metro OD crank pulley, the whine is great too!

During the 7+years I've owned this car, I've only had to replace the stock belt tensioner, serpentine belt and idler pulley just recently. Other than that, the Saleen VI SC has indeed been very reliable and makes good enough power for street use IMO. And like yourself, investing another 4-6k to change the SC on a 14 year old GT just wouldn't make much sense knowing what it's market value would be worth. As for my particular application, making 420rwhp/439rwtq on the dyno with a 3.6" drive pulley, the 2.3L Saleen VI provides plenty of displacement to satisfy when needed lol. That being said, I really appreciate all the valuable info you've shared and also truly thankful that your part of the S197 community :waytogo:

Drove this thing to work today :)

View attachment 74736

Looking good Gabe :waytogo:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Love mine, got very lucky to find a new in the box one!
c56dddf4212352b3baed6d0b59362122.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back