What have you done to your mustang today?

GlassTop09

Reaction score
According to the description, these Ford Performance shocks and struts have been engineered specifically for improved handing on both stock ride height and lowered 2007-2012 SVT Mustangs and 2005-2012 GT Mustangs. This kit features single adjustment modifications with two-way response. The struts and shocks will work with stock suspension components and aftermarket components.

What I don't quite understand, is how they can claim their engineered for both stock ride height and lowering spring applications? Perhaps I'm missing something here, but IIRC aren't dampers with shorter valving recommended and also more compatible for lowering spring applications vs dampers with longer OEM valving :shrug:
As I understand it, all struts\shocks that are designed to work w\ the S197 platform should be designed to work within the full static OEM effective stroke travel length (determined by the suspension spring design) of this platform's suspension...unless the struts\shocks are designed to be position sensitive....this is where the control dampening\rebound valving operation is based on the specific ride height of a certain spring set being used w\ them so as to not cause the strut\shock to alter\change it's designed dampening\rebound performance across a predetermined effective stroke travel length change.
Most aftermarket parts for these S197's nowadays are designed to NOT be position sensitive (for example, all Koni's fit this aspect) due to the popularity of folks using lowering springs to replace the OEM springs which will lower the effective static ride height from the OEM static ride height so the strut\shock has the internal design capability to "internally readjust" it's control valving to account for this change in effective stroke length (usually no more than 1 1\2") so the designed dampening\rebound rate performance will stay the same linearly as was initially designed for the static OEM spring's ride height thus the parts can be used w\ either OEM or most lowering springs......but there are still some parts out there that are designed to operate properly only within a specific effective stroke travel length thus making these parts "sensitive" to the static ride height of OEM springs (IOW's specifically designed to be paired w\ lowering springs only) thus will have a tendency to "top out" during full rebound travel back to static OEM ride height.....not good.
This particular Ford Performance strut\shock combo I've linked to is designed to NOT be position specific thus will work properly w\ S197 OEM springs of the MY's listed (as I intend to retain my OEM springs) as well as most lowering springs (as stated in the description) concerning effective stroke length changes due to static ride height changes whereas for example the other Ford Performance Dynamic strut\shock combo IS position sensitive thus is designed\intended to be used w\ a lowering spring set only....not used w\ OEM springs....as their control valving is predicated to operate within the specific lowered effective stroke length due to the ride height change of the lowering springs recommended to be used w\ them.....note the description for this set does not state any compatibility w\ OEM springs so shouldn't be assumed that they are.

Packages that are position specific should list the effective control stroke travel length or which brand\type of springs are recommended\compatible w\ that measurement or both.
Bilsteins for example gives both on their web site for their struts\shocks but most only give the type\brand of springs that are recommended to be used.....if given at all.

So don't assume that any aftermarket brand strut\shock made for these S197's are designed to work w\ both OEM springs AND most lowering springs concerning effective static control stroke length unless they specifically state so in their descriptions...........that is, if you intend to keep your OEM springs in use but use aftermarket struts\shocks w\ them......otherwise it becomes more of a moot point.

Hope this explanation helps.

Check out Koni's web site, in their FAQ section if desired..............

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can't just turn the wheel to one side, do one tire from the back, and do the same on the other side?

nope, the placement of the stem and the big brakes doesn’t allow room for a air chuck to attach to the screw in stem

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Changed the spark plugs in my GT.
5-year-old NGK 6510 plugs came out, all looked good, gap between .030-.033
New NGK 6510 plugs went in, gapped at .028
Also cleaned the throttle body while I had the intake tube off, and added a little bracket to the CAI heat shield which has a tab at the bottom that had broken off.
Car started right up, idled smoothly, no issues.
Shut it back off after it ran a few minutes, and hooked it up to the battery tender.
It's filthy, it hasn't seen a wash this whole year, no car shows, and less than 1800 miles on it so far this year.
Two days ago we had our first snowfall of the season, and I really hope we get a few more days of Mustang weather before we really get into winter mode, cuz I'm not fucking ready to just look at it in the garage for the next few months.

The shield/bracket repair that I mentioned:

20201101_CAI-shield-1.jpg

20201101_CAI-shield-2.jpg

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
As I understand it, all struts\shocks that are designed to work w\ the S197 platform should be designed to work within the full static OEM effective stroke travel length (determined by the suspension spring design) of this platform's suspension...unless the struts\shocks are designed to be position sensitive....this is where the control dampening\rebound valving operation is based on the specific ride height of a certain spring set being used w\ them so as to not cause the strut\shock to alter\change it's designed dampening\rebound performance across a predetermined effective stroke travel length change.
Most aftermarket parts for these S197's nowadays are designed to NOT be position sensitive (for example, all Koni's fit this aspect) due to the popularity of folks using lowering springs to replace the OEM springs which will lower the effective static ride height from the OEM static ride height so the strut\shock has the internal design capability to "internally readjust" it's control valving to account for this change in effective stroke length (usually no more than 1 1\2") so the designed dampening\rebound rate performance will stay the same linearly as was initially designed for the static OEM spring's ride height thus the parts can be used w\ either OEM or most lowering springs......but there are still some parts out there that are designed to operate properly only within a specific effective stroke travel length thus making these parts "sensitive" to the static ride height of OEM springs (IOW's specifically designed to be paired w\ lowering springs only) thus will have a tendency to "top out" during full rebound travel back to static OEM ride height.....not good.
This particular Ford Performance strut\shock combo I've linked to is designed to NOT be position specific thus will work properly w\ S197 OEM springs of the MY's listed (as I intend to retain my OEM springs) as well as most lowering springs (as stated in the description) concerning effective stroke length changes due to static ride height changes whereas for example the other Ford Performance Dynamic strut\shock combo IS position sensitive thus is designed\intended to be used w\ a lowering spring set only....not used w\ OEM springs....as their control valving is predicated to operate within the specific lowered effective stroke length due to the ride height change of the lowering springs recommended to be used w\ them.....note the description for this set does not state any compatibility w\ OEM springs so shouldn't be assumed that they are.

Packages that are position specific should list the effective control stroke travel length or which brand\type of springs are recommended\compatible w\ that measurement or both.
Bilsteins for example gives both on their web site for their struts\shocks but most only give the type\brand of springs that are recommended to be used.....if given at all.

So don't assume that any aftermarket brand strut\shock made for these S197's are designed to work w\ both OEM springs AND most lowering springs concerning effective static control stroke length unless they specifically state so in their descriptions...........that is, if you intend to keep your OEM springs in use but use aftermarket struts\shocks w\ them......otherwise it becomes more of a moot point.

Hope this explanation helps.

Check out Koni's web site, in their FAQ section if desired..............
I've been running Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs during the past 7 years which lowered the front suspension by approx 1.3" and rear suspension by approx 1.5". I also upgraded to Koni yellow adjustable struts/shocks nearly 4 years ago. Although despite the fact the Koni yellows have dramatically improved the Mustang's overall handling, ride quality has most definitely been sacrificed to say the very least lol. But I honestly can't say for certain if it's the Eibach Pro Springs or Koni yellow adjustable dampers that are responsible for the decrease in ride quality? All I know for certain, is despite adjusting the Koni's to full/soft settings, it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Anyhow, since then, I've been considering swapping out the Koni yellows towards Bilstein B6 dampers, but according to their website, the B6 dampers are recommended for stock spring/stock ride height applications. Needless to say, this is my reason for concern regarding the valving/travel length of the Bilstein B6 dampers not being compatible for lowering spring applications, such as the Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs? I've also considered making the switch to Steeda Sport Springs, but again I'm not quite sure at this point as to whether it's the Koni yellow dampers or the Eibach Pro Springs as being the contributing factor behind my ride quality issues. At rate rate, the explanation you provided was in fact helpful and clarified certain brand/type of springs that are recommended/compatible for particular applications. However, when it comes to the product description of the Bilstein B6 dampers? Unfortunately, Bilstein's website doesn't provide much in depth technical info to rely on. Therefore, if you could let me know in your opinion if the Bilstein B6 dampers would be compatible with Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs? I'd really appreciate your opinions/advice :cheers:

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
The b6's do not have the shortened shaft that the b8's have and will bottom out sooner adding harshness. My 2 cents

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I searched on Bilstein's website and everywhere else for B8 dampers. None are available for 2005-10 S197 Mustangs.

According to Vorshlag motorsports, the B6 shafts are supposedly 1.25" shorter than OEM stock dampers. Here's the link for Vorshlag Motorsports product description below.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...spension-kit-s197-mustang?variant=15149013383

Also according to Bilstein's website, the dampers included with their B12 Pro Kit are from what they claim are tailor made B6/B8 dampers for Eibach Pro Kit Springs :shrug:

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product/bilstein-b12-pro-kit/

Last edited:

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, b8's were discontinued, which is why I didn't get any. I read where the b6's for our cars were stock length. That would be good news if they were shorter.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I've been running Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs during the past 7 years which lowered the front suspension by approx 1.3" and rear suspension by approx 1.5". I also upgraded to Koni yellow adjustable struts/shocks nearly 4 years ago. Although despite the fact the Koni yellows have dramatically improved the Mustang's overall handling, ride quality has most definitely been sacrificed to say the very least lol. But I honestly can't say for certain if it's the Eibach Pro Springs or Koni yellow adjustable dampers that are responsible for the decrease in ride quality? All I know for certain, is despite adjusting the Koni's to full/soft settings, it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Anyhow, since then, I've been considering swapping out the Koni yellows towards Bilstein B6 dampers, but according to their website, the B6 dampers are recommended for stock spring/stock ride height applications. Needless to say, this is my reason for concern regarding the valving/travel length of the Bilstein B6 dampers not being compatible for lowering spring applications, such as the Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs? I've also considered making the switch to Steeda Sport Springs, but again I'm not quite sure at this point as to whether it's the Koni yellow dampers or the Eibach Pro Springs as being the contributing factor behind my ride quality issues. At rate rate, the explanation you provided was in fact helpful and clarified certain brand/type of springs that are recommended/compatible for particular applications. However, when it comes to the product description of the Bilstein B6 dampers? Unfortunately, Bilstein's website doesn't provide much in depth technical info to rely on. Therefore, if you could let me know in your opinion if the Bilstein B6 dampers would be compatible with Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs? I'd really appreciate your opinions/advice :cheers:
IMHO I don't think the B6's would be compatible to use w\ these Eibach Pro's or any lowering spring for that matter because from what I've read the B6's that fit S197's (used my '09 GT) are designed to be used w\ OE springs thus are specifically tuned for OE ride height's effective stroke travel length w\ no mention of usage w\ lowering springs so if used w\ a lowering spring the risk of damage to damper (the nitrogen chamber) on full compression (bottoming out) will be high but also some control fidelity would be reduced. As I have said in my earlier post.....if the description doesn't specifically state that they're compatible to be used w\ a lowering spring then don't assume that they are.......

So if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't use these Bilstein B6's w\ these Eibach Pro springs unless you don't care about damaging them or any warranty concerns if they do become damaged.............my 2 cents.

But also when I pulled up the description of the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit that fit S197's (again used my '09 GT) Bilstein specifically states in the description that they're using the B8 dampers w\ this kit (the very same Eibach Pro Kit springs) so from this info Bilstein is apparently still making & selling them.....just not offering them as a standalone product choice to the general public...... Which does really suck if you already own a set of lowering springs...unless you can sell the "extra" springs to recoup some of the costs of the kit......
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...40578920912730&SubModelId=3534276034165599341

My read into this (pure speculation here) is that Bilstein may have decided to stop selling these B8 dampers to the general public as a standalone item due to failures incurred to them (read warranty hassles) from folks buying them & using them w\ OE springs (topping them out on suspension rebound) instead of lowering springs so to prevent this they're only offering them for sale to the public in a kit that comes w\ a lowering spring so that folks won't tend to make the mistake since these B8 dampers are specifically designed by Bilstein to be used w\ a lowering spring only (like the Ford Performance M-18000-A kit) & I'm assuming that the Eibach Pro Spring's spring rates are a close match & work well w\ the B8's dampening\rebound control tuning thus is the lowering spring of choice to pair w\ them.....from Bilstein's POV.

Now since Vorshlag is a sponsored dealer for Bilstein's products I would think (again read speculation here) that it "may" be possible to buy these Bilstein B8's standalone from them IF you communicate to them the type of lowering spring you're gonna use w\ them to get their approval since they would be entirely responsible for the warranty coverage on them instead of Bilstein (most likely why they're only offering them on their site for sale in a completely assembled package). But this decision would be entirely up to Vorshlag (or any other sponsored Bilstein dealer\distributor for that matter) to make so the only way to know for sure is to call & ask.............

I do feel for you in this scenario as from what I've read these Bilstein B8's are an excellent damper for handling capability (w\ Vorshlag selling them this backs it up) especially & I'll assume w\ the right spring rate choice of lowering spring the ride quality will be very good as well.

I do hope that you find someone who will sell you a set of them........

Hope this helps.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
TL; DR

Glass top has b12's that paired lowering springs with b8's. Some speculation that bilstein did it to avoid stupid mustang owners from not doing their research and breaking their struts. Also, vorshlag is an authorized dealer. Maybe we can get some b8's from them if we specify the spring we would use.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, b8's were discontinued, which is why I didn't get any. I read where the b6's for our cars were stock length. That would be good news if they were shorter.

Ray! I actually spoke with a rep from Bilstein tech support over the phone on yesterday. He claims the B6 dampers have since replaced the B8 dampers in their B12 Pro Kit which include Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs, as he pretty much confirmed the B8 dampers are no longer available for the 2005-14 Mustang. Anyhow, this would appear to be accurate info as Steeda Autosports also sells the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit which according to the product description, include B6 dampers. At any rate, I've included the product description link from the Steeda website if your interested?

https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-mus...6-228888.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2006

IMHO I don't think the B6's would be compatible to use w\ these Eibach Pro's or any lowering spring for that matter because from what I've read the B6's that fit S197's (used my '09 GT) are designed to be used w\ OE springs thus are specifically tuned for OE ride height's effective stroke travel length w\ no mention of usage w\ lowering springs so if used w\ a lowering spring the risk of damage to damper (the nitrogen chamber) on full compression (bottoming out) will be high but also some control fidelity would be reduced. As I have said in my earlier post.....if the description doesn't specifically state that they're compatible to be used w\ a lowering spring then don't assume that they are.......

So if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't use these Bilstein B6's w\ these Eibach Pro springs unless you don't care about damaging them or any warranty concerns if they do become damaged.............my 2 cents.

But also when I pulled up the description of the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit that fit S197's (again used my '09 GT) Bilstein specifically states in the description that they're using the B8 dampers w\ this kit (the very same Eibach Pro Kit springs) so from this info Bilstein is apparently still making & selling them.....just not offering them as a standalone product choice to the general public...... Which does really suck if you already own a set of lowering springs...unless you can sell the "extra" springs to recoup some of the costs of the kit......
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...40578920912730&SubModelId=3534276034165599341

My read into this (pure speculation here) is that Bilstein may have decided to stop selling these B8 dampers to the general public as a standalone item due to failures incurred to them (read warranty hassles) from folks buying them & using them w\ OE springs (topping them out on suspension rebound) instead of lowering springs so to prevent this they're only offering them for sale to the public in a kit that comes w\ a lowering spring so that folks won't tend to make the mistake since these B8 dampers are specifically designed by Bilstein to be used w\ a lowering spring only (like the Ford Performance M-18000-A kit) & I'm assuming that the Eibach Pro Spring's spring rates are a close match & work well w\ the B8's dampening\rebound control tuning thus is the lowering spring of choice to pair w\ them.....from Bilstein's POV.

Now since Vorshlag is a sponsored dealer for Bilstein's products I would think (again read speculation here) that it "may" be possible to buy these Bilstein B8's standalone from them IF you communicate to them the type of lowering spring you're gonna use w\ them to get their approval since they would be entirely responsible for the warranty coverage on them instead of Bilstein (most likely why they're only offering them on their site for sale in a completely assembled package). But this decision would be entirely up to Vorshlag (or any other sponsored Bilstein dealer\distributor for that matter) to make so the only way to know for sure is to call & ask.............

I do feel for you in this scenario as from what I've read these Bilstein B8's are an excellent damper for handling capability (w\ Vorshlag selling them this backs it up) especially & I'll assume w\ the right spring rate choice of lowering spring the ride quality will be very good as well.

Hope this helps.

Actually, if you look real close to the part# off the Vorshlag link I provided? it's actually the same part# for the B6 dampers. Following my phone conversation with one of the tech support reps from Bilstein, he did in fact confirm the dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit have since been replaced with the B6 dampers due that the B8 dampers are no longer available for the 2005-14 Mustang from Bilstein. As I also just responded to (Anti) Ray's post, according to Steeda Autosports product description, the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit which they also sell does in fact confirm the B6 dampers have since replaced the B8 dampers in the B12 Pro Kit which also include Eibach Pro Kit Springs.

https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-mus...6-228888.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2006

However, after reading over your posts, I've come to the conclusion that your absolutely 100% spot on regarding potential compatibility issues pairing the Bilstein B6 dampers with any type of lowering spring which is supposedly tuned specifically for the OE ride height's effective stroke travel length? That being said, until it's been documented by Bilstein that their B6 dampers have been both tested and then confirmed to be compatible for lowering spring applications? Making the switch from my Koni yellow adjustable dampers to Bilstein B6 dampers at this time, just isn't worth the investment, especially when potential risk factors may be involved from possible compatibility issues.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Ray! I actually spoke with a rep from Bilstein tech support over the phone on yesterday. He claims the B6 dampers have since replaced the B8 dampers in their B12 Pro Kit which include Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs, as he pretty much confirmed the B8 dampers are no longer available for the 2005-14 Mustang. Anyhow, this would appear to be accurate info as Steeda Autosports also sells the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit which according to the product description, include B6 dampers. At any rate, I've included the product description link from the Steeda website if your interested?

Actually, if you look real close to the part# off the Vorshlag link I provided? it's actually the same part# for the B6 dampers. Following my phone conversation with one of the tech support reps from Bilstein, he did in fact confirm the dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit have since been replaced with the B6 dampers due that the B8 dampers are no longer available for the 2005-14 Mustang from Bilstein. As I also just responded to (Anti) Ray's post, according to Steeda Autosports product description, the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit which they also sell does in fact confirm the B6 dampers have since replaced the B8 dampers in the B12 Pro Kit which also include Eibach Pro Kit Springs.

However, after reading over your posts, I've come to the conclusion that your absolutely 100% spot on regarding potential compatibility issues pairing the Bilstein B6 dampers with any type of lowering spring which is supposedly tuned specifically for the OE ride height's effective stroke travel length? That being said, until it's been documented by Bilstein that their B6 dampers have been both tested and then confirmed to be compatible for lowering spring applications? Making the switch from my Koni yellow adjustable dampers to Bilstein B6 dampers at this time, just isn't worth the investment, especially when potential risk factors may be involved from possible compatibility issues.
Agreed.

Laga

Reaction score
D6C5FAE1-B0F2-40BD-911D-06EEC5CB55E3.jpeg Reupholstered the leather seats in my 05 with replacements from Richmond Leather. Old ones were cracked and torn. I’ve actually had the replacements for over a year just never got around to it. About $800 for both front seats and took me 6 hours for both sides. Bottoms are easy, backs are a PITA.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
View attachment 74990 Reupholstered the leather seats in my 05 with replacements from Richmond Leather. Old ones were cracked and torn. I’ve actually had the replacements for over a year just never got around to it. About $800 for both front seats and took me 6 hours for both sides. Bottoms are easy, backs are a PITA.

Man those look great.. I know I’ll need to do the same down the road at some point.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Have another update! Just got off the phone with Bilstein tech support regarding the product info description about the Bilstein B12 Pro kit. I was informed the info in the product description stating the dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit for 2005-11 and 2011-14 Mustang GT/Shelby GT500 models are B8 dampers, is incorrect. When I questioned him about this, he claims that Bilstein has never designed nor offered B8 dampers for the S197 Mustang platform, but rather only the B6 dampers have ever been available and designed exclusively for the S197 Mustang platform for both OE ride height and lowering spring applications. In addition to claiming the B6 dampers are the actual correct dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit, he also brought to my attention the info provided in the product description regarding the B8 dampers are considered as generic and intended more towards the global international market, rather than exclusively for just the U.S market or for any specific platform. At any rate, the tech support rep I spoke with also strongly recommends that until the product description on the Bilstein website has been corrected/updated with the accurate info? do not rely on the product description info for the B12 Pro Kit, as it is inaccurate. Needless to say, none of this makes any sense to me, but I suppose it is what it is :shrug:

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Have another update! Just got off the phone with Bilstein tech support regarding the product info description about the Bilstein B12 Pro kit. I was informed the info in the product description stating the dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit for 2005-11 and 2011-14 Mustang GT/Shelby GT500 models are B8 dampers, is incorrect. When I questioned him about this, he claims that Bilstein has never designed nor offered B8 dampers for the S197 Mustang platform, but rather only the B6 dampers have ever been available and designed exclusively for the S197 Mustang platform for both OE ride height and lowering spring applications. In addition to claiming the B6 dampers are the actual correct dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit, he also brought to my attention the info provided in the product description regarding the B8 dampers are considered as generic and intended more towards the global international market, rather than exclusively for just the U.S market or for any specific platform. At any rate, the tech support rep I spoke with also strongly recommends that until the product description on the Bilstein website has been corrected/updated with the accurate info? do not rely on the product description info for the B12 Pro Kit, as it is inaccurate. Needless to say, none of this makes any sense to me, but I suppose it is what it is :shrug:
Appreciate the update!
Looks to me that they've been caught essentially falsely advertising their B12 kits (making claims of a particular part within the kit that in reality isn't actually part of it) & not providing clear descriptive info on their B6 dampers (which clearly have cost them some sales w\ some S197 owners that already have purchased lowering springs). I saw no disclaimers posted on their web site that would provide some legal protection against this kind of stuff (not outside of the realm of sites having descriptive errors\typos that can convey something other than what is meant to) so it'll be interesting as to just how quick they update both product descriptions on their web site since now they've been made aware of the existence of these mistakes..............

Makes perfect sense IMHO that the Bilstein B6 dampers would actually be designed as non-position specific for S197's (like most of their competition has already done) to appeal to those who have lowering springs & to those who keep the OEM springs but want the B6's dampening control capabilities..........just need to state this clearly in their web site\online descriptions of their B6 dampers.......

IMHO this is bad optics on the company image w\ S197 owners.............at least in my eyes it is.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
View attachment 74990 Reupholstered the leather seats in my 05 with replacements from Richmond Leather. Old ones were cracked and torn. I’ve actually had the replacements for over a year just never got around to it. About $800 for both front seats and took me 6 hours for both sides. Bottoms are easy, backs are a PITA.
Looking into doing this myself.......
Nice!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Appreciate the update!
Looks to me that they've been caught essentially falsely advertising their B12 kits (making claims of a particular part within the kit that in reality isn't actually part of it) & not providing clear descriptive info on their B6 dampers (which clearly have cost them some sales w\ some S197 owners that already have purchased lowering springs). I saw no disclaimers posted on their web site that would provide some legal protection against this kind of stuff (not outside of the realm of sites having descriptive errors\typos that can convey something other than what is meant to) so it'll be interesting as to just how quick they update both product descriptions on their web site since now they've been made aware of the existence of these mistakes..............

Makes perfect sense IMHO that the Bilstein B6 dampers would actually be designed as non-position specific for S197's (like most of their competition has already done) to appeal to those who have lowering springs & to those who keep the OEM springs but want the B6's dampening control capabilities..........just need to state this clearly in their web site\online descriptions of their B6 dampers.......

IMHO this is bad optics on the company image w\ S197 owners.............at least in my eyes it is.
Same also applies for the Vorshlag-Bilstein StreetPro Monotube Suspension Kit (S197) which claims the Bilstein dampers included with their kit are approx 1.25" shorter than OE stock? What the product description doesn't mention, it's actually the top mount portion of the damper which is shorter and not the actual strut/shock housing itself. Therefore, IMHO Vorshlag also needs to clarify their product description as well. Needless to say, the shock/strut dampers in their StreetPro kit are in fact the very same B6 HD dampers included in the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit MPN: 46-228888 which has part#35-128717 (front) and part# 24-122245 (rear) In fact, if you enlarge the images taken from the Vorshlag product description? you'll see the B6 part#35-128717 stamped on the strut body. Just as mentioned in a previous post, the Bilstein B12 Pro kit is also available from Steeda Autosports and provides the accurate product description with B6 dampers being included with the B12 Pro Kit. That being said, as also mentioned in a previous post, until there's actual real world test results and written documentation from Bilstein that the B6 dampers are in fact valved, tuned and compatible for moderate lowering spring applications? I find no real advantage in making the switch from my current Koni sport adjustable dampers over to Bilstein B6 HD dampers which appear to have the very same overall travel length :shrug:

jpg_DSC7043-Recovered copy-M.jpg

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Received a new clutch yesterday and began the install today. Started with a freshly surfaced McLeod flywheel. The flywheel, adapter plate and pressure plate bolts are all torqued and the bell house is bolted on. This is a good place to stop for the day.

54ADF2D7-3B05-41DA-89C2-C200FE1C9FED.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back