which gears would be better?

shad2009

forum member
Reaction score
thinking of a future mod to add to my CAI & tune (ordering in a few days) and i hear alot of people say get new gears...i have an 07 GT auto...would the 3.73 be better or thr 4.10?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As an automatic owner as well I offer this; get the CAI/tune FIRST and then decide if you need gears or nor; the tune cleans up so much of the lazy shifting you may decide you don't need them.

What gears are in there now? 331's?

Are you going to DD this or track it or a little of both? Be prepared for gas mileage to go down with the gears and with the tune you will need 93 octane which is .30-.50 more per gallon depending on where you live.

Are you going to stay NA or go FI? If NA 410's are a good all around gear-except for mileage. If you have any thoughts of going turbo stay with what you have now.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Bout time we had a thread about gears huh.

p.s: fo ten's

vbluep51

forum member
Reaction score
Get the boost first then see if you need gears. I have a tvs with 3.55 gears and my first and second gear is useless. I am think of doing tr6060 swap but I will wait on the 3.73 gears.

LBSRACING

forum member
Reaction score
That'll depend on the style blower, rear tire height, power gains....etc...

I'd say roll with the 3.55's and see where your car is.

Yep, Plus it depends on what you can tolerate on the street. I run 4.56 with a 6 speed and a procharger. 625rwhp. Works great for me. With the new 5.4 4v coming thought im going down to a 4.10

shad2009

forum member
Reaction score
wow...thanks for all the opinions guys...of course i'd be getting the cai/tune first (ordering those on friday) i was thinking ahead of myself...i'll be stayin N/A for a while (hope to supercharge her next year) but i guess i'll see what the tune does first before i drop a few hundred more dollars on a mod that "might" not be needed...thanks for all the suggestions and opinions guys

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Are you going to stay NA or go FI? If NA 410's are a good all around gear-except for mileage. If you have any thoughts of going turbo stay with what you have now.

I disagree. My gas mileage was not effected that much at all. before the gears my mix driving would get me between 20-22MPG now im between 19-21.

highway did change, if im all highway I used to get 23-25ish if i was lucky. with the 4.10s thats 20-23ish now

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back