why are the gains with hot rod cams so inconsistent?

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
I have Hot Rods,delete plates,udp,frpp cai,short tubes with high flows,410 gear,and aluminum ds. I made 342 to the wheels. I'm going with FRPP new intake,heads and tb. I hope to see @ 380 or 390 to the wheels, what do you think I will see?

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
My 40RWHP gains from the Hot Rods and Long Tubes was done on a Dynojet.
Wish I still had the original sheets but I gave them away when we traded the car in just for their keeping.

But three of my friends got VERY similar gains.
All got either the Hot Rods, or the Detroit Rockers, with long tubes
and a high flow catted x pipe.
And they were ALL dyno tuned.

I say a good dyno tune makes a difference.
On the first tune we had before they tuned it the gains were
remarkably lower. After the tune we also had no low end loss.
The tunes with these cars in regard to max gains or loss at certain points is
so important I don't know even how to put it into words except this:

If you want to get a good gain from your mods, MAKE SURE to get a good
tune adjustment to go along with it!

Pretty much end of story where that is concerned.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Hot Rods,delete plates,udp,frpp cai,short tubes with high flows,410 gear,and aluminum ds. I made 342 to the wheels. I'm going with FRPP new intake,heads and tb. I hope to see @ 380 or 390 to the wheels, what do you think I will see?

25 hp gain at the most since you already have the CMDP's and you are going to need a re-tune for the FRPP intake.

What heads/TB are you going with?

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
I think 25 with the intake and tb. Maybe gonna change to JLT new cold air. What do you think I will get with new heads also?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You won't see 25 with the intake and TB, I watched Luke's car pick up 5 hp by swapping to the FRPP intake/62mm tb.

25 hp overall is what I think you will make.

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
Some have gained @ 20 hp with the new intake and tb alone. Add the new heads which might be good for another 20,from what people have said.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe FI they gained 20, no one that I have seen on here NA have gained that...not even Matt D who had every bolt known to the 3V world and rev'd his car to the moon.

You asked a question and I gave an answer; I saw with my own eyes a car with BBR stg 1 cams, UD pullies, LT's, 62MM TB, and pypes mufflers gain 5 hp with the FRPP intake..and that was after swapping in new plugs so the 5 hp gain may not have been from the intake!

Agree the consensus is 15-20 hp for heads, you might see more from the intake due to the free'er flowing heads but I don't think there is 40 hp in the intake, tb and heads....but hopefully for your sake I am wrong.

A head swap is no joke nor cheap, who is doing it?

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well this thread got me to thinking. i sent a copy of my tune to bama/american muscle (one of bama's tunes solely to start with) and had them look at the cam timing profile. they emailed me back and said they currently use diffent cam timing for the hot rod cams than what i have in my current tune. so they approved me for a new tune with new cam timing, so i guess i'll be trying it out.

my original dyno tune netted 320/320 after installing cams, deletes and pulleys. before all those parts it was 285/295. the tune has been updated for the lt headers, but i'm hoping with the new cam timing to set a new personal best et next trip to the track.....when it gets a lot cooler of course

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe FI they gained 20, no one that I have seen on here NA have gained that...not even Matt D who had every bolt known to the 3V world and rev'd his car to the moon.

You asked a question and I gave an answer; I saw with my own eyes a car with BBR stg 1 cams, UD pullies, LT's, 62MM TB, and pypes mufflers gain 5 hp with the FRPP intake..and that was after swapping in new plugs so the 5 hp gain may not have been from the intake!

Agree the consensus is 15-20 hp for heads, you might see more from the intake due to the free'er flowing heads but I don't think there is 40 hp in the intake, tb and heads....but hopefully for your sake I am wrong.

A head swap is no joke nor cheap, who is doing it?

I will leave it alone then. Looking for a lil more,but not if I won't get the gains I was after. Thanks for your input.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Price the heads and when I was looking into staying NA I asked around for head swap pricing and it was going to be pricey....Eddie told me the 15-20 hp I would gain from a headswap was not worth the $2-3K it would cost for the heads/labor/small parts-gaskets needed for it....bang for the buck going FI was much better.

If you were looking for a little more but want to stay safe on a stock bottom end pick up a M90 s/c and bolt on 100 hp and know you are safe.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I mentioned that in post #67....no matter how it's sliced the hp vs $$ did not work out for you with the FRPP intake....wonder who told you about it and encouraged you to buy it?:oops1::rant::wtf::tdown::furious::kill:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
^^^^LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it sure LOOKS good!!!!!!!!!:la:

JLT110mm3-1.jpg

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
I mentioned that in post #67....no matter how it's sliced the hp vs $$ did not work out for you with the FRPP intake....wonder who told you about it and encouraged you to buy it?:oops1::rant::wtf::tdown::furious::kill:

Well it worked out for the best since Ill be turboed in a few days:highfive:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
True...if you are part of the all show no go club then it's FTW!

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
it does look damn good under the hood though, now if I could just get some proper valve covers!

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL..no, that's not you although rumor has it you were scared off by a camaro the other day...and you used some lame excuse that you just passed a state trooper...wow....way to represent the mustangs!:owned2:

That camaro owner went home and posted on his mullet forum about how he intimidated some "all show no go" mustang on his way home from being the fry guy at McDonalds!

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
I dont consider refusal to roll race some in a camaro in rush hour traffic through one of the worst speed traps in VA a lame excuse

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back