2005 Gt Rallycross build

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
That thing looks like it would have been awesome to see ripping, especially with the 5.0 screaming! With that body style it looks like it’s in its element with the other rally car styles of that time

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I recall from talking to the driver it had a full FRPP top end. GT40 intake, aluminum heads, roller rockers and some sort of cam. I don't remember which. I don't think it was a letter cam. It sounded mean. Best sounding car in the race.....IMO. Though the V8 Rover powered TR7 sounded pretty good too.

There are a bunch of pics at the site I found those at.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
That was the car I first got my inspiration from^^ soooo sick.

Question for peeps. Does anyone know if a 225/75/18 tire will fit under the arches with stock height? Also has rolled fenders. I got into contact with Hurst who ran a mustang in stage rally and he said to get a tire with as much side wall as I can fit to make up for the lack of suspension travel.

These 225 tires would be from Mickey tompson and I could possibly work out a deal with them and my program

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got into contact with Hurst who ran a mustang in stage rally and he said to get a tire with as much side wall as I can fit to make up for the lack of suspension travel.

I'll go back to my 16" wheel suggestion then. Plus LOTS of 16" light truck tires to choose from. And some rally tires too.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
That was the car I first got my inspiration from^^ soooo sick.

Question for peeps. Does anyone know if a 225/75/18 tire will fit under the arches with stock height? Also has rolled fenders. I got into contact with Hurst who ran a mustang in stage rally and he said to get a tire with as much side wall as I can fit to make up for the lack of suspension travel.

These 225 tires would be from Mickey tompson and I could possibly work out a deal with them and my program

This I actually put 225/75/18.
I meant to put if anyone knows if a 225/75/16 tire will fit on an 05 mustang? Mickey tompson makes a truck tire that’s used in short course I might be able to get a hook up on.

But yeah I think 16s are a good bet!

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

I haven't had a mustang in almost two years and I am so glad I stop by this place every now and then.

That thing is tits.

This makes me want to build one and my closest rally is 3.5 hrs away.

Do it! Contribute to the cause of the idiotic and unecessary but fun

Senna1

Reaction score
Yeah, I have no useful advice on your build, but I'm also posting just to voice support for it.

I did two SCCA rallycross events up in western/upstate NY in the early aughts when I had a shiny new showroom stock WRX. Just tremendously fun, two events was enough to teach me that it's no place for a new stock car needed for DD duties though.

Rock on with the RWD rally madness though!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no useful advice on your build, but I'm also posting just to voice support for it.

I did two SCCA rallycross events up in western/upstate NY in the early aughts when I had a shiny new showroom stock WRX. Just tremendously fun, two events was enough to teach me that it's no place for a new stock car needed for DD duties though.

Rock on with the RWD rally madness though!

In Leicester/Cuylerville by chance?

Senna1

Reaction score
In Leicester/Cuylerville by chance?
Very well could be, it's been 15+ years now so I can't say for certain. I was based out of the finger lakes region (Ithaca), and I remember that they were out closer to Buffalo, so that would fit.

Learned to autoX and tad rally up there too...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very well could be, it's been 15+ years now so I can't say for certain. I was based out of the finger lakes region (Ithaca), and I remember that they were out closer to Buffalo, so that would fit.

Learned to autoX and tad rally up there too...

If it was in a field around the side and back of a guys house (which was yellow), it was in my home town. Guy raced semi-professionally in Mitsubishi as I recall.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool. Buddy of mine ran a purple Saturn that he resurrected form "totalled" a few times. We did a bunch of TSD rallys in that thing. Pounded the shit out of it and it took every bit of punished he gave it.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Thank you!! Hopefully it works out good.

Tire research update. So I’ve seen that most people recommend a 15in rally tire since that’s the most popular size and will work the best. I’m not sure if a 15in wheel will fit all around. Also some people have suggested running winter tires, but apparently they’re very soft and people say they can Debead. I’m thinking with the heavier mustang this might be a problem. So far I’m looking at a 255/55/18 light truck all terrain tire, hopefully they fit

If you make it to either of the 2 Santa Rosa events let me know. I'll come out and watch. I can wrench too if needed.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
If you make it to either of the 2 Santa Rosa events let me know. I'll come out and watch. I can wrench too if needed.

That’s actually incredibly nice of you man! Thanks, I’ll for sure keep updates of which ones I’m hitting up. I’ll let you know for sure

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Btw my Feal coilovers are for sale. Check out the parts section on here

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I decided to make videos following this build. My hope is to educate people that are trying to get into rallycross or any other motorsport to pursue it.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Update. Went to a Rallycross at glen helen to check it out. Looks like soooo much fun with around 60 entrants that drove.

Got all my suspension bits sold so I’m going to be ordering my Bilstein setup shortly.

Right now my contemplation is tires. Do I A. Use my black 18x9 wheels and try to find an All terrain tire that’ll fit
B.Find a 16x7 wheel that’ll clear the brake calipers so I can try running 16in gravel tires or All terrain tires (preferably)
C. Get 17in wheels that I know will for sure clear to be able to put on a tire that I’ll know will fit

Senna1

Reaction score
Can you make any comments about the Feal C/Os for the S197?

My impression from looking at their stuff is that they're using generic threaded shock bodies in application-specific housings like every other $1k Taiwan coilover. But if instagram is to be believed he's valving them in-house for each spring rate and application.

Did these have enough travel for a street-driven car, or are they all over the bumpstops on an imperfect road?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back