2009 East Coast S197 Mustang Shootout

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I am not really sure. We are going to have a few meetings to discuss a chance expansion, but we really need to pull off this season first.

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
OH MAN!!! Super close for me. I know I can bring some customers and friends with me to race.

I might even have my new 5.0 for the race if Ford stays on the current production schedule.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
track rental on friday at etown, s197 shootout saturday and sunday hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I hope this car is there! I really ant to see it. In the pictures, it looks very clean...

http://www.mandraracing.com/images/members/Conlan/Conlan_photo_gal.htm

bob's-new-motor-'66-009.jpg

bob's-new-motor-'66-002.jpg

That car is sitting in my garage :)

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not an NHRA Event...

With that, it will be a judgment call. If you are a vert, running mid 11's on DR's, no roll bar, but a current helmet, great. If you are a coupe running 10's on street tires and no roll bar or helmet... now we have a problem.

!!! I can't believe Mason Dixon would let you slide on blatant non compliance (don't know enough about Rockingham). You might get one run, then they'd knock you out--I've seen that happen many times, albeit at TnTs, not track rentals there. Everything I've been getting from tracks, including MD, is compliance with track safety regs.

Is there a waiver I don't know about?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
They have not mentioned a waiver to me, although we will have one to protect both us and the track owner. We already had several event with the NVMC and they allowed us to have 10 second coupes using helmets, DR's, and no roll bars.

Each sanctioning body has their own saftey rules and regs. Elmer has reviewed everything I have sent him for our sanction, approved it, and put it on the calendar. We have agreed to have a total of 5 races at his track this year under our format. We have a green light for everything. Just finalizing dates at this point.

I have to tell you, it is the track owner who has the final say and EVERYONE must pass tech and attend the drivers meeting or they will not be allowed to compete. It's not a free for all. People must have a safe vehicle.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any sanctioning body in the country who will reduce NHRA rules. Mostly, sanctioning bodies ADD to the NHRA rules but I have never seen one negate any of the safety requirements of the NHRA rules.

I wouldn't want to be in attendance with anyone who did. The safety rules are for a reason. The new rule out here in cali about having an engine diaper if quicker than 9.99 was a hassle at first but I'm so glad they did it. The oil downs were getting ridiculous at most PSCA events.

I think running a 10 sec (or faster) car without any kind of roll bar required is flat out stupid personally. When the first person rolls their car at 120+ mph - you'll discover real quick how important roll bars and cages are.

Last edited:

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think running a 10 sec (or faster) car without any kind of roll bar required is flat out stupid personally. When the first person rolls their car at 120+ mph - you'll discover real quick how important roll bars and cages are.

Wasn't there a recent video of a Shelby doing a roll over at a local track event, no rollbar?????

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I don't know of any sanctioning body in the country who will reduce NHRA rules. Mostly, sanctioning bodies ADD to the NHRA rules but I have never seen one negate any of the safety requirements of the NHRA rules.

I wouldn't want to be in attendance with anyone who did. The safety rules are for a reason. The new rule out here in cali about having an engine diaper if quicker than 9.99 was a hassle at first but I'm so glad they did it. The oil downs were getting ridiculous at most PSCA events.

Technically, we are not less than the NHRA rules.

Ok guys... Here's the deal. I JUST got off the phone with Elmer Wachter, owner of the race track. He just told me that per the California's NHRA rules, this is a "no money, street car" event. As long as the car is registered, insured, and passes your registered state's highway safety inspection (stickers must be displayed), this is a run-whatcha-brung event.

Now, with that said, if you bring a race car or you compete for money, then because it is an NRHA track, all NHRA professional racing series rules apply.

This man is not going to risk his NHRA affiliation and livelihood so a few guys he doesn't know can do whatever we feel like.

This is a done deal. As long as you have a true street car, regardless of ET's, or power adder, there is no roll bar or cage requirement.

Wasn't there a recent video of a Shelby doing a roll over at a local track event, no rollbar?????

I have seen a few 10 second cars hit the wall without a roll bar. Everyone I have seen walked away unharmed, but the car as a total loss in every case.

Last edited:

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
This is a done deal. As long as you have a true street car, regardless of ET's, or power adder, there is no roll bar or cage requirement.

This is not directed at you Marc but that statement is insane. I am floored by the track owners opinion, not as far as NHRA goes, but as far as insurance goes. I have been to a few run what you brung rentals over the years but they were always 10-20 cars MAX and were usually serious racers with legit cars who were legal. I hope for everyones sake there is not an accident at one of these events.

I know IMHO if the guy next to me wants to skimp on safety equipment but will spend the money to make big power I would rather he/she not line up next to me. I was pretty worried a few weeks ago at Cecil when I was lined up next to a Z06 that I watched skate at around the 1000 foot pass more than a few times that day. Thankfully he had a clean pass when I ran him.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few 10 second cars hit the wall without a roll bar. Everyone I have seen walked away unharmed, but the car as a total loss in every case.

And I have seen people DIE in 12 second cars who crashed at the track...:stooges:

WOW - you mean if I brought my car which is current registered, tagged, and has valid plates on it with current insurance (it has all of the above) and I lay down 160 mph passes with no rollcage - it's cool?

You do realize that there are 7 second 'street legal' cars out there, right? And a dozen 8 sec cars that compete regularly in real street challenge races that are 100% registered, insured, and 'street legal'.

I'm just saying - that's a hell of a thing to say those are the only tech rules for ANY et???

It's all fun till somebody gets hurt and I GARUNTEE if someone did get hurt running a 10 sec car with no roll bar that the owner allowed - he would most definitely be risking his NHRA affiliation livlelihood - without a doubt. Not to mention the insurance liability that would fall back on him for allowing something he knew to be dangerous.

Last edited:

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

No, this was an open track event. Now I remember. it was a BOLT IN cage, and the car landed on it's roof, forcing the cage posts through the floor!

Just got me thinking about verts in general, and the cage requirement. NHRA I THINK says they must be welded, not bolted. I'll go look it up...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yep Just put new seats, belts, and carpet in it. Added a Shelby style glass hood and painted stripes

Wow, I love that car. I really hope I get to see it in person... great job man.

This is not directed at you Marc but that statement is insane. I am floored by the track owners opinion, not as far as NHRA goes, but as far as insurance goes. I have been to a few run what you brung rentals over the years but they were always 10-20 cars MAX and were usually serious racers with legit cars who were legal. I hope for everyones sake there is not an accident at one of these events.

I know IMHO if the guy next to me wants to skimp on safety equipment but will spend the money to make big power I would rather he/she not line up next to me. I was pretty worried a few weeks ago at Cecil when I was lined up next to a Z06 that I watched skate at around the 1000 foot pass more than a few times that day. Thankfully he had a clean pass when I ran him.

I have to be honest, I was a bit taken back by the concept too. When the folks from the Rock said it, and now Mason Dixon saying it, I have to believe that it is as they say.

As I said before, I do not want to see anything happen to anyone, so as event coordinators, we are reserving the right to not allow someone if the vehicle's speed or ET is dangerous for the safety equipment and setup.

I said it before, but I will put it out there again. If you do not meet the professional NHRA saftey reqs, please contact us to be sure you are not wasting your trip out.

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
No, this was an open track event. Now I remember. it was a BOLT IN cage, and the car landed on it's roof, forcing the cage posts through the floor!

Just got me thinking about verts in general, and the cage requirement. NHRA I THINK says they must be welded, not bolted. I'll go look it up...

Some bolt in roll bars are legal to 10.0. Roll cages must be welded

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back