2018(+) intake swap to S197 - anything new?

Wayne Worthen

Reaction score
Wayne, that’s exactly what I would do.

How do you like it?
Is there a noticeable difference?
Did you have a tune written?
Any before/after dyno sheets?
I put in forged oil pump gears and timing chain crank gear, bad ass shift at 7800rpm. Walked a neighbors 2013 boss easily (he said his clutch peddle stuck),but he was behind the whole way. No dyno info, just "seat of the pants", but it is sweet!

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I may have to go ahead now and do this. Thanks...lol

arena314

Reaction score
I'm telling you I felt very nice gains with the intake swap and tune alone but seat of pants feel

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm telling you I felt very nice gains with the intake swap and tune alone but seat of pants feel

And that sounds exactly what I am looking for. However, I wont spin my 'yote past 7200, so Im not doing oil pump upgrade.

I want to run this junkyard pull until I have some type of an issue. Engine now has over 100,000 miles on it.

arena314

Reaction score
IMO I would atleast put the limiter at 75-7600 and shift at 74-7500 even if you dont use it much atleast you'll have it. You might feel some gains around 7k but I think that's almost the whole idea behind the mod

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I dont want that kind of failure. lol I want a rebuildable core...I have big N/A plans.

arena314

Reaction score
big N/A plans would more then likely involve revving higher then 7200. the engine is good for it na. Unless you expect to have it I'm the high rpms the whole time you drove the car the stock motor will be fine especially with a good damper or opg's

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
This is great info. Thanks everyone. It appears now that my obstacle is the tune/tuner. I have a Diablosport InTune and need to find someone that writes tunes for that device (and my current and planned modifications). Anyone know of any tuners that write for Diablosport devices?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
This is great info. Thanks everyone. It appears now that my obstacle is the tune/tuner. I have a Diablosport InTune and need to find someone that writes tunes for that device (and my current and planned modifications). Anyone know of any tuners that write for Diablosport devices?
You can do quite a few adjustments yourself with the InTune to optimize your tune. Look around in the available adjustable parameters.

You will have to do some data logging before you begin making changes.
First you need to find out what the fuel trims are doing. And and adjust MAF to get those evenly split + and - zero.
You can go ahead and raise rev limit to 7200.
Once maf is right, you can move onto next step.

Learn to save "last tume written" to pc. Then rename and load it back to InTune as a custom tune.

I wanted to install and run a stock airbox. I did not have a way to remove the CAI from the tune at the time. I had to reduce maf transfer by 40%.or so. Max change is only 20% in the InTune.
Here is how I did it:
Reduce maf by 20% flash to car.
Save last tune written, rename, load as custom tune to InTune.
Now, load custom tune but reduce maf again by 20% and flash.
I can switch out any intake with just InTune and a pc.

You cannot hurt a coyote with InTtune modifications except ONE, changing WOT afr and making it too lean. If you dont touch this one setting, you cannot hurt the engine. It does not matter how far off your tune is, the pcm will always maintain a safe AFR as the system is closed loop all the time. But if the tune is off, driveablility and throttle response sucks, but it is safe for the engine.(if needed) Timing control is knock sensor based. The pcm removes AND ADDS timing as needed. So adding static timing has no real effect, if you went too much, the computer will just pull out more timing.

This safety is because of all the protection features in the factory tune. InTune cannot disable them, so those step in to keep the engine safe.
And this is where the SCT and HP tumer software comes in. These CAN disable the safeties and you better know what you are doing. ;)

Last edited:

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
You can do quite a few adjustments yourself with the InTune to optimize your tune. Look around in the available adjustable parameters.

You will have to do some data logging before you begin making changes.
First you need to find out what the fuel trims are doing. And and adjust MAF to get those evenly split + and - zero.
You can go ahead and raise rev limit to 7200.
Once maf is right, you can move onto next step.

Learn to save "last tume written" to pc. Then rename and load it back to InTune as a custom tune.

I wanted to install and run a stock airbox. I did not have a way to remove the CAI from the tune at the time. I had to reduce maf transfer by 40%.or so. Max change is only 20% in the InTune.
Here is how I did it:
Reduce maf by 20% flash to car.
Save last tune written, rename, load as custom tune to InTune.
Now, load custom tune but reduce maf again by 20% and flash.
I can switch out any intake with just InTune and a pc.

You cannot hurt a coyote with InTtune modifications except ONE, changing WOT afr and making it too lean. If you dont touch this one setting, you cannot hurt the engine. It does not matter how far off your tune is, the pcm will always maintain a safe AFR as the system is closed loop all the time. But if the tune is off, driveablility and throttle response sucks, but it is safe for the engine.(if needed) Timing control is knock sensor based. The pcm removes AND ADDS timing as needed. So adding static timing has no real effect, if you went too much, the computer will just pull out more timing.

This safety is because of all the protection features in the factory tune. InTune cannot disable them, so those step in to keep the engine safe.
And this is where the SCT and HP tumer software comes in. These CAN disable the safeties and you better know what you are doing. ;)

Sure, sure, sure...it sounds simple when you say it like that. But, I have no idea what "fuel trims" are supposed to be. And according to you, that is the FIRST step. I miss the days when you could just take her out for a spin and then change the jets in the carb. Or, on my Fox body, just throw some mods on and let the computer adjust. I don't understand why the computer just doesn't recognize the amount of air coming in, pay attention to the exhaust gases, and then adjust the fuel and timing accordingly to maximize power.

For this, I'd have to:
– figure out how to datalog the car
– download the datalog to my computer to view it
– figure out what all the measurements mean
– use the InTune to adjust whatever parameters I can
– and then....

However, I do appreciate the safety of the InTune in the sense that if I do dick around with it (and stay away from WOT afr), I won't damage anything.

I would really just like to find a tuner with experience. Kind of got excited that there was work on the is motor that I could do for $400 and add a decent amount of power.

Jgt58

Reaction score
Sure, sure, sure...it sounds simple when you say it like that. But, I have no idea what "fuel trims" are supposed to be. And according to you, that is the FIRST step. I miss the days when you could just take her out for a spin and then change the jets in the carb. Or, on my Fox body, just throw some mods on and let the computer adjust. I don't understand why the computer just doesn't recognize the amount of air coming in, pay attention to the exhaust gases, and then adjust the fuel and timing accordingly to maximize power.

For this, I'd have to:
– figure out how to datalog the car
– download the datalog to my computer to view it
– figure out what all the measurements mean
– use the InTune to adjust whatever parameters I can
– and then....

However, I do appreciate the safety of the InTune in the sense that if I do dick around with it (and stay away from WOT afr), I won't damage anything.

I would really just like to find a tuner with experience. Kind of got excited that there was work on the is motor that I could do for $400 and add a decent amount of power.
I'm with you brotha. I would never attempt it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Alright...now I am contemplating an new tuning device (since freakin' NO ONE other than Bama supports Diablosport InTune).

I'm looking at SCT X4 and an nGauge.
• I am primarily on a Macintosh so the nGauge is appealing since that doesn't really matter. Also, from what I have read, the nGauge is very simple to use and it is VERY easy to data log the car using it.
• My wife has a PC she uses for work that will allow me to use the SCT. The SCT X4 is used EVERYWHERE and people (for the most part) seem to like them. I am trying to determine if I need an actual laptop in the car with me to data log. I'm not clear on this yet.

Anyone have any insight into either device?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
No laptop needed in car to log. The x4 records a log that you later import and view with the sct LiveLink software.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FYI, Bama does not support the 18 manifold. You will have to got a more reputable tuner if you choose to run it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
FYI, Bama does not support the 18 manifold. You will have to got a more reputable tuner if you choose to run it.

Guys like Jon Lund @ Lund Racing and Justin Starkey @ VMP Performance have you covered for the '18 manifold.

Last edited:

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Figured I'd give Bama a shot since my out-of-pocket would be $0 (Bama Tunes For Life and DiabloSport InTune)...and just got confirmation that they do not, as of yet, support the 2018 intake on 2017 and earlier Mustangs. Kind of bullshit if you ask me. They support other intakes (Boss, CobraJet, etc.) and part of the "tunes for life" deal was updates if/when you swapped intakes. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have taken some time in the last couple years to tune this intake swap.

So...basically NOBODY supports the InTune device (8 out of 9 shops I spoke with). Gotta switch to nGuage or SCT device. AND...got to find a new tuner. The new tuner doesn't bother me so much as Bama's reputation has kind of tanked since I first chose them. But having to drop $$$ on a new tuner since DiabloSport is only really supported by Bama just blows. I guess I made two wrong choices...

Now I am leaning heavily toward Lund Racing for my tuning and would probably just go with the nGauge from them as well...but I just have this fear of being tied to one tuner and one device since Lund loads proprietary software onto their nGauge. But, I must say, Lund has a pretty impeccable reputation in the Mustang world, though.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bama has never had a good reputation in the coyote world. Their fastest tuned car isnt even tuned by them, lol.

Back