400whp NA 3V build

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
We just finished tuning a 5.0 3V that we built for an employee. 11.5:1 compression, FRPP intake, heads that we ported in house, 127650 cams locked, and Kooks headers. So far, it's making a corrected 402whp with a little more tuning left to be done to the A/F. I think with a little more tuning, we might get close to 410whp. Surprisingly, the 127650 cams are very drivable but idle pretty rough at 1000 rpms.

503Vbuild_zpsce195f81.jpg

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I have a soft spot in my heart for 400rwhp na 3vs.
Love to see em great job.

cmrad

forum member
Reaction score
Thats awesome, great work. The build sounds nice

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
It makes me sad to see all that work and $ into a 3V to only get right where the new 5.0's are stock.

Not to short change this motor or build I just wish we could do more with our 3V's.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
It makes me sad to see all that work and $ into a 3V to only get right where the new 5.0's are stock.

Not to short change this motor or build I just wish we could do more with our 3V's.

I agree 100% A max effort 5.0 3V makes the same power as a stock Coyote with a CAI and a tune.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Sweet! Why go with the 650 cams? I thought those are sc cams.

Originally, he was going to put my Procharger on this engine with lower compression. At the last minute, he changed his mind but he already had the cams.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I agree 100% A max effort 5.0 3V makes the same power as a stock Coyote with a CAI and a tune.

I keep thinking someone is going to come up with an answer to this problem but I think just like the 2V guy I'm just going to have to face facts. :thud:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
A 5.8 block is about the only thing that will get you "big" power n/a with a 3v. Probably isn't any cheaper than doing a 326 4.6 based motor though. I don't think the rumored Trick Flow aftermarket 3v heads are going to become a reality either.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I remember the rumoured C&L heads :angry1:
Still I remember having 420rwhp with my stock engine and blower on that same dyno.
And I really miss the way that car ran.

375-400+ rwhp na would be a fun car 3v or coyote.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A 5.8 block is about the only thing that will get you "big" power n/a with a 3v. Probably isn't any cheaper than doing a 326 4.6 based motor though. I don't think the rumored Trick Flow aftermarket 3v heads are going to become a reality either.

First off that is just fantastic. Like I said earlier I think the head porter made this motor shine.

To the quoted one above. I asked them (TF) on another forum and they said it will never happen. This was a few years ago on Modular Fords. To paraphrase they said there just wasn't enough interest. I could of swore I had read about prototypes being tested at one point. Maybe there wasn't much improvement over stock heads with a port job.

MindIfISmoke?

Wrecking Crew
Reaction score
First off that is just fantastic. Like I said earlier I think the head porter made this motor shine.

To the quoted one above. I asked them (TF) on another forum and they said it will never happen. This was a few years ago on Modular Fords. To paraphrase they said there just wasn't enough interest. I could of swore I had read about prototypes being tested at one point. Maybe there wasn't much improvement over stock heads with a port job.

Ill take that as a compliment bruce!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
400whp would be a nice time in the 3V, but as mentioned above it's sad that it would take all that work to have around the same power as a lightly modded 5.0. That being said I'm sure the above setup with the right gear would be a blast to drive. I would love 400 NA whp from my car.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
400whp would be a nice time in the 3V, but as mentioned above it's sad that it would take all that work to have around the same power as a lightly modded 5.0. That being said I'm sure the above setup with the right gear would be a blast to drive. I would love 400 NA whp from my car.

I wonder what the spread would be if we had electric power steering? Everyone forgets that little detail. IMO the steering, heads, and 21 inches of extra displacement are hard to overcome with a stock 3v.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
We just finished tuning a 5.0 3V that we built for an employee...... 127650 cams locked

Where were the cams locked at?

Straight up/full advance?

Or did you guys retard them some?

I'm tearing my hair out (well I would be if I had some) trying to figure out where I want to lock some 550's. Your graph looks pretty good, I'm looking for something like that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back