5.0 engine noise when cold/mid-temp?

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
LOL, o rly?

I think the MT82 is on aisle 7 next to the flaming shit and above the moldy urine.

Strange, I'm POSITIVE that's where the TR6060 in my 2010 GT500 came from. No matter what you did, it would grind into second every time and flat out deny entry into second under any sort of power. For a $50,000 car, I was sorely disappointed in the transmission performance.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
The TR6060 is a proven Tremec transmission.. It's pretty much a modernized T56, which has been around for ages. I have read that there were some issues with a few of them, though.

Travis

Reaction score
Strange, I'm POSITIVE that's where the TR6060 in my 2010 GT500 came from. No matter what you did, it would grind into second every time and flat out deny entry into second under any sort of power. For a $50,000 car, I was sorely disappointed in the transmission performance.

Hmmm, i'm sure it was a fluke. Was this on a 07 gt500? I have heard those had problems, but as far as the whole gt500 drivetrain it has been flawless from my understanding.

Or are you sure they did not swap the tr6060 for an mt82? :D :roflmao:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
The TR6060 is a proven Tremec transmission.. It's pretty much a modernized T56, which has been around for ages. I have read that there were some issues with a few of them, though.

Travis

I would actually put the number closer to 50% of the 2010 models. Check over on Team Shelby.

After driving with this Getrag transmission, I would prefer to never have another Tremec ever again.

302: This was a 2010 model, so it already had the new clutch assembly that they are now retrofitting to the '07-'09 models. It's pretty embarrassing to get pounded on the street by a freaking Charger R/T simply because your $50,000 car didn't feel like going into second gear at high RPM.

Reaction score
I would actually put the number closer to 50% of the 2010 models. Check over on Team Shelby.

After driving with this Getrag transmission, I would prefer to never have another Tremec ever again.

302: This was a 2010 model, so it already had the new clutch assembly that they are now retrofitting to the '07-'09 models. It's pretty embarrassing to get pounded on the street by a freaking Charger R/T simply because your $50,000 car didn't feel like going into second gear at high RPM.

Wow, that's crazy.

Just for info and shits and giggles, what is your build date on your car(2011)?

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
05/2010. And needless to say the GT500 is gone. :). It was a great car with mind numbing power, but the transmission thing and my own personal stigmas about it made it not the right one for me.

Reaction score
05/2010. And needless to say the GT500 is gone. :). It was a great car with mind numbing power, but the transmission thing and my own personal stigmas about it made it not the right one for me.

Hmm and you do not have crunchy cold shifts in the 2011? You have the exact same build date as me.

My crunchy shifts are intermittent... /shrug

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Hmm and you do not have crunchy cold shifts in the 2011? You have the exact same build date as me.

My crunchy shifts are intermittent... /shrug

Second gear is a bit on the notchy side when I first start driving, but every single stick car I've ever driven has had the same thing. And it makes sense, it's designed to work with the fluid at a certain viscosity. That viscosity can only be reached at operating temp. I haven't had any of the other problems that people have been posting about. I've made about 10 passes at the strip total with it, no problems (other than RIDICULOUS) wheel hop.

OP: Sorry for the hijack!

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
All good.. I'm telling you guys.. See about having the fluid changed out! Mine was notchy when cold, and used to grind from time to time. Since they put the QS fluid in mine, it's like a totally different box. It hasn't given me a single problem since I got it back.

Travis

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score

Hmm.. I wonder if this issue has more to do with the internal slave cylinder/release bearing than it does with the transmission itself?

When did Ford switch over to the internal setup?

Reaction score
All good.. I'm telling you guys.. See about having the fluid changed out! Mine was notchy when cold, and used to grind from time to time. Since they put the QS fluid in mine, it's like a totally different box. It hasn't given me a single problem since I got it back.

Travis

I've thought about changing it myself, but if there is any synchro damage i might as well wait it out until ford gets a TSB... Hopefully...

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
That video posted is actually my good friend John's car. He is a tech at a Ford dealer here in VA and has been working with the tech hot line to get it resolved. It looks like he is going to be getting a new motor.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score

Travis

A lot more than a few, my old 2010 GT500 would not go into 2nd under full power and would grind about 40% of the time just getting on it a little. And a lot of others as well.

The 2007-2009 GT500s (same trans) never had much of the issue, they changed the clutch in 2010, and thats probably where a lot of the problem comes from. Those poor little blockers have to pretty much stop the mainshaft from turning after accelerating very quick in 1st gear, if the clutch doesnt release 100%, plus add an extra disc spinning, you get a grind or it just doesnt go in. The big spread ratio between 1st and 2nd doesnt help either.

The 6060 is plenty strong, but it has had cold and quick shift 1-2 and 2-3 grind issues since day one in Corvettes, Camaros and Challengers. the 6060 has great torque holding, they beefed up the gears, added syncro teeth (which increase torque holding) because the syncros were made narrower because of larger gears, but the flipside to that is more teeth means harder engagement.

The 2011 vettes went back to carbon fiber blockers as a fix, when you see the bronze blocker material fused to the gear thats from it trying to slow the internals down on a fast shift (or clutch not releasing clean) and getting hot. The carbon fiber grabs better, but it also wears out quicker..

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
That video posted is actually my good friend John's car. He is a tech at a Ford dealer here in VA and has been working with the tech hot line to get it resolved. It looks like he is going to be getting a new motor.

I took my car out yesterday, and mimiced his driving pattern from this video. My car makes the same damn noise.. You can't hear is well, because I don't have it mic'd up and amplified. But, it's definitely there.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
A lot more than a few, my old 2010 GT500 would not go into 2nd under full power and would grind about 40% of the time just getting on it a little. And a lot of others as well.

The 2007-2009 GT500s (same trans) never had much of the issue, they changed the clutch in 2010, and thats probably where a lot of the problem comes from. Those poor little blockers have to pretty much stop the mainshaft from turning after accelerating very quick in 1st gear, if the clutch doesnt release 100%, plus add an extra disc spinning, you get a grind or it just doesnt go in. The big spread ratio between 1st and 2nd doesnt help either.

The 6060 is plenty strong, but it has had cold and quick shift 1-2 and 2-3 grind issues since day one in Corvettes, Camaros and Challengers. the 6060 has great torque holding, they beefed up the gears, added syncro teeth (which increase torque holding) because the syncros were made narrower because of larger gears, but the flipside to that is more teeth means harder engagement.

The 2011 vettes went back to carbon fiber blockers as a fix, when you see the bronze blocker material fused to the gear thats from it trying to slow the internals down on a fast shift (or clutch not releasing clean) and getting hot. The carbon fiber grabs better, but it also wears out quicker..

So, the best thing to do would be to add the Carbon blockers to the GT500 trans, and run a different clutch?

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
good info in this thread. i had my car back to the dealer @ 400 mi on the clock because of the TSB on the fuel pump module.

and as for the piston slap thing as it relates to LS1...i remember having this discussion years ago...and those cars dont have forged pistons either.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
So, the best thing to do would be to add the Carbon blockers to the GT500 trans, and run a different clutch?

CF syncros what D&D and another shop are doing to supposedly fix the 1-2 grind on the 6060s. I dont know on the clutches, I havent seen one of the 2010 ford dual dick clutches in person, depends how heavy the discs are. if you were gong to do a 6060 swap in a GT you would most likely use a different clutch anyhow.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
good info in this thread. i had my car back to the dealer @ 400 mi on the clock because of the TSB on the fuel pump module.

and as for the piston slap thing as it relates to LS1...i remember having this discussion years ago...and those cars dont have forged pistons either.

I have lived through several new LS1 cars and trucks with piston slap. My new 2001 Z06 sounded sounded like a diesel when it was cold (and you could still hear it a bit when it was warm) my old 2005 2500hd with a 6L sounded horrible as well. But my 2000 Z28 and 2001 SS were as quiet as could be. GM tried to fix it it in 2002-2003 with coated pistons. You have a short skirt, short rod and high piston speeds, any extra clearance is going to make a difference in piston noise. I have had a high mile LS1, LS2 and Lq9 apart and re-used the block with a cleanup bore and forged pistons and many with bad cold piston noise have gone 100K plus with no issues.

My 5.0 doesnt have piston noise, but it had the idle knock you could feel holding the valve cover (A/C belt) since the day picked it up and 'ignitor tick' after the first oil change. Both bothered the hell out of me. The knock is gone sonce the roush blower puts a spring tensioner on the a/c belt and after 500 miles I havent heard the tick. But to be honest these 47lb injectors are so loud even if it did have the tick it would blend in with the injectors clattering away.

uncle phil

Reaction score
My car has some noise too when cold but like others have said drive some of the ls powered cars and you get the same thing and they run a long time. My 2000 ram air TA had much more noise than my 2011 5.0 so just keep driving it like you stole it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back