A Little Observation of the Coyote's Exhaust Note

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Went to Royal Purple Raceway last night and the turn out was phenomenal. A TON of daily drivers burning up the 1/4 mile!

One thing I did notice, and you'll have to forgive me because I've NEVER been a GM fan so I've never taken the time to learn about them, but the later model GTO's and the Cadillac CTV's had THE BEST exhaust note of all the cars.

There was 1 Cobra Jet Mustang that was ridiculously fast, but ended up in the crappy left lane where cars were having issues all night, and had to COMPLETELY get out of the throttle to keep the car on the track and still turned a 10.8 @ 148mph. It was crazy sweet! His exhaust was Dragster loud. LOL

What I wanna know is how do the GTO's and Caddy's make such a resounding exhaust note? There were a ton of Coyote's there and none of them SOUNDED as good as the GTO's and Cadillacs......

BTW, those Cadillac CTV's are a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me how come those guys can get the sounds out of those GTO's like they do!!!

For the record, I'm not interested in owning a GM product so I'm not going there, just wanna know what makes these cars sound so good.

Last edited:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Driving your car; so you actually hear an exhaust note will help.:)

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
They do sound good though. For real.
I guess it's that cam in the block thang:)

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
The LS motors are still 2V's .. Same reason the 2V Mod motors can have some killer exhaust sound.

Multi-valve & VCT makes the exhaust sound lean more Euro on the new Mustangs.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Not sure what the OP was saying since he nuked it. Again.

But IMO my 3v sounded better. I'm disappointed with this car's exhaust, especially with an offroad pipe.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I put the question back up. I would REALLY like to know how these cars make the exhaust note they do.

drive_55_not said:
The LS motors are still 2V's .. Same reason the 2V Mod motors can have some killer exhaust sound.

Multi-valve & VCT makes the exhaust sound lean more Euro on the new Mustangs.

Even with full length exhaust like we have to choose from and multiple axleback selections its amazing how different these cars sound.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what the OP was saying since he nuked it. Again.

But IMO my 3v sounded better. I'm disappointed with this car's exhaust, especially with an offroad pipe.

Agreed. Wouldn't say I'm disappointed with my coyote but I loved the way my old 3V sounded (with all 3 setups I ran).

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Muffler placement, OHV, firing order, air flow, the list goes on and on. Get a mid muffler set up if you want to sound closer. Or just get lost and go wax a GTO lol

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Or just get lost and go wax a GTO lol

Don't get me wrong, our cars can sound awesome.

So would our motors benefit from a radical high lift cam or would it hinder the performance or not do anything at all with the design of the modular motors??

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
How many of those GMs had a true x or h without half a dozen resonators last night? IMO they don't make a car sound better, including mine.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Mine sounded great with lethal oap and gt500 mufflers. Not loud but smooth and deep. The o/r h kinda ruined it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Mine sounded great with lethal oap and gt500 mufflers. Not loud but smooth and deep. The o/r h kinda ruined it.

My 3 were:

Pypebombs (everything else stock)
Pypebombs / Catless H/ Longtubes (Loud as all hell, sounded like a nascar lol)
Magnaflows / Catless H/ Longtubes (Much more mellow, deep sounding while cruising, screamed at WOT)

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I like my cammed 3v exhaust sound but to be honest I like coyote exhaust note better.
Just watch this video. You can't tell me that doesn't sounds bad ass.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
There were noises the catless midpipe introduced that were real hard to hear on youtube vids but in person became much more apparent. After my experience I no longer trust vids. But its usually all we have to go on. :(

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
I should've known better when I opened this thread and thought that Darren actually started up his car

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
IMO part of it is the extra displacement. I think the LS motors are oversquare which would make for a better sound imo. Old school like V8's were when I was growing up. I still like my modern motors better though. Sound is all about perception. I know people who love the sound of 4v mod motors over anything else and they aren't Ford guys so I think it has a lot to do with personal taste.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I have video of the Cobra Jet, just need to upload to YouTube .

Last night was crazy....the staging Lane was packed up to 5 wide waiting to get to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back