Anyone swap their mod motor for an LS3?

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Was thinking of doing this swap perhaps in the near future...was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and any hurdles that they may have faced and how hard was the swap. im pretty confident that space wont be a problem....but what tranny will bolt up to the new motor? i think with a nice, nasty cam and longtubes this car will FLY after this swap.

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
I think this deserves a pinking.

release-the-hounds.jpg

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
Half Breed? as for the tranny.. The vette uses the TR6060 6spd as does the gt500, but the vette has a transaxle which makes the 2 trannys that are essentially the same, different. Maybe the Gt500 tranny would bolt up with a custom bellhousing.. The swap would prob take an awful lot of work along with money.. You would have one unique car though after all said and done..

BOSS324

Sinister Sleeper
Reaction score
Yeah but cmon FRPP has plenty in the parts bin to make your stang go!!! And be unique.

Big bore iron, big bore aluminum, forged aluminator, 5.4 dohc, Then big block carb setup.....

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
that would cost a lot more that it is worth..... the 5.0 motor puts nearly the same power and respond sthe same for a lot cheaper and simpler swap.... so why think of it...

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
lol I knew when I saw this post last night it was going to be cannon fodder around here. You will get an endless amount of crap for doing this.

I don't think I've yet read of anyone doing an LS1 swap into these cars yet let alone an LS3. I can see why they do it though. LS1 = NA rape machine

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think the swap would be stupid but if you do make the swap it would almost have to be a track only car. I don't see how you could make it legal for the street.

Earl

wazslow

forum member
Reaction score
Id swap in a 5.0. But as for the trans, you could use the TR6060 in the camaro behind without issue.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to go auto, you could get a TH350 or 400 with an Ultrabell. That's the setup I have. Works great but you lose some streetability.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
LS3, nah. LS7, oh yeah. If fact there were plans early on for LS7 powered S197 Mustangs with serious suspensions. (not Ford)

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
LS what?

Ford Racing just released the 5.0L DOHC Coyote power pack kit. It's like $8,500 for complete motor with control pack and computer.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
LS what?

Ford Racing just released the 5.0L DOHC Coyote power pack kit. It's like $8,500 for complete motor with control pack and computer.
si, i know.

i was just wondering if anyone had done this swap in an S197. besides, i think if one wants to stay NA an LSx swap would be the way to go. more streetable and way faster.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
What way faster who said? I would take the new 5.0 over the LS3 any day and plus it would be pretty hard to fit a LS motor into the engine bay of an s197. The 5.0 is a direct fit.

wazslow

forum member
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, the LS3 is a badass motor! I actually sold a 2009 LS3 vette to get the 2011 mustang GT I have now. It responds well to mods. Headers, airbox, cam, and tune and it will make 500rwhp all day long. I think its just alot of hassle, and im not sure how you will make it work with the ob2 setup for emission and stuff...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back