Bbr stage 2 cam issue.

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Going back and forth about my issue with low vacuum with these cams.
Changed my kb bypass to a low vacuum bypass and still going into boost under a load or even just a rev in neutral.

Have lockouts installed. Do not want to waste the time of lito and l@m for dyno rental if there are things I can check.
I have no vacuum leaks at all.
Thinking of just ditching these cams and going back to stock and let the vct do its job. They sound great, but hate that I have this issue.

Been talking to lito, but let everyone jump in and help cause the man has other customers.

Mods are:
Aluminator @8.7:1 (supercharged version) 3v
Bbr stage 2 cams with there lockouts
Kb stage 2 @20#
60# injectors
Supporting fuel mods
Breathers on valve covers

I know the tune will correct issues, but not mechanical vacuum problems.

Thanks..

Sent from my EVO

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Vacumn pump?

336.gif

ssb-28146.jpg

$300 12 Volt Electric Vacuum Pump Kit. These Stainless Steel Brakes electric vacuum pump kits are designed for use with a supercharger or big camshaft. They include a 12 V electric vacuum pump to supply your brake booster with the required power for brakes or other sources.

Includes 12 volt vacuum pump, switching relay, vacuum line and control, mounting insulators and hardware. Dimensions: 8" L x 5" W x 7" H (approximate). INSTRUCTION GUIDE

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
A tune can solve quite a bit. If the AFR is off the vacuum will be low. A base file for a stoich idle may go a long way.

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Right now it is running pig fat.
When the motor popped during a dyno tune, the tuner thought it was a fuel issue, it wasn't.
It happens when under a load and if I blip the throttle in neutral.
Was looking into the vacuum pump, but there are others with these cams and larger and don't have an issue, also, my brakes work fine. I just want to keep from wasting anyone's time; lito, and waste money on dyno time that is a 2+hr drive from me.

I could always put some stockers back in with the lockouts and see what happens.

Sent from my EVO

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
I'm confused then. It pulls enough to operate the brakes, but doesn't pull enough vacuum?
If it's cruising and drops vacuum, fueling seems to be a definite problem. I'd log and send Lito some stuff on the street. Would be a huge waste of time to change anything without approaching it step by step. If it's rich, gotta lean it out, just as you would w any new set up or trouble shooting. Switching cams would be jumping to step 7. I've really only payed attention to vacuum on turbo cars while driving. But if it's too rich, vacuum drops! N/A will change vacuum at idle as well. The correct AFR will bring vaccum up.

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Only under a load. Ok, in normal cruising, from 1500-2500 I cannot goose it without bringing the rpms up. If I do, or will miss.

I sent lito the data logs I could. The other logs I cannot do due to safety issues as I have no place to test without being a danger to society....(free public service announcement and to cover my ass).

Sent from my EVO

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
That should be find. Light to a good size load is where you'll see the problem, and you can log that. But if it's missing, that's really bad with coil on plugs dude lol. I've run the in the 9's AFR wise and no miss. You're RICH lol.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Throwing out some ideas. Is your meth hooked up and possibley leaking by/getting pulled in under vaccum? Wasn't there an issue with bbr stage 2's being cut wrong from comp iirc?

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
The meth is all plumbed, but the controller isn't connected. I have a check valve in the line so it cannot backflow. With my vacuum gun, I was holding vacuum without any leaks.

Guess will have to take my chances with a dyno tune. Not much else I can check.
Driving at 2500+ rpms is great, just under that I get hesitation. Lito has the logs with the hesitation/miss.

Sent from my EVO

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
What are your peak AFRs at tip-in?
I was having similar issues (not with vacuum, but misfires/stuttering). Tip-in had to be leaned out in order to not drown the plugs with fuel.

What are your vacuum readings between idle and 2,500 RPM?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Throwing out some ideas. Is your meth hooked up and possibley leaking by/getting pulled in under vaccum? Wasn't there an issue with bbr stage 2's being cut wrong from comp iirc?

I've never heard of the BBR's being cut wrong, I remember the 127350's being an issue though.
Can you provide any more info on this?

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Don't know what the tip in is. Idle vacuum is 10"lb and driving in first slowly up to 2500 it will drop to around 6. If I am in a taller gear, and go from above idle to 2500 with a slight aggressive pedal, it goes from 10"- about 4# boost and that is when the hesitation/miss happens. Any time under a load or a sudden goose of the gas.
I can watch the bypass go into boost when in neutral and just revving the motor slightly.
Calling to see when I can get it on a dyno. Last time it didn't happen on the dyno, only during street driving.

Sent from my EVO

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
I've never heard of the BBR's being cut wrong, I remember the 127350's being an issue though.

People were having issues of the regrinds from bbr a few years ago I'm fairly sure, but they stopped offering those as an option to buy.

Sent from my helicopter

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine in Sept of 2011. Hope that isn't an issue.
The last toooner had it on the dyno all day and couldn't see that it was going into boost to soon. He tried to tune "each injector" to correct it. He said it showed #1 showed a difference. Well, dropped a valve a tore up the head and piston in #1.

Still need to get lito, myself and the dyno schedules to line up.

Sent from my EVO

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Looks like it was the stage 1's not stage 2's.

Sorry to hear on what happened but glad to see you had it fixed. Just for insight though, we did have a issue with our Stage 1 cams. Their was 5 bad sets that had a grind error which they were quickly fixed. Everyone I have spoke with when it happened was very nice and I thank you for that. Since then, we have sold many sets and it seems that everything is back to normal. If their are any and I mean any questions or concerns about our Stage 1 cams, please contact us and anyone one of us will help.

On another note, Comp cuts the Hot Rods and most other shops cams.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you purchased the billet cams from them then you are fine.

Sent from my helicopter

This was an issue with the billet cams not the regrinds the regrinds were already discontinued when they had the issue.

Gregg the issue was indeed the late 2011 timeframe irrc, but looks like it was just the stage 1 billet cams not the stage 2's.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
This was an issue with the billet cams not the regrinds the regrinds were already discontinued when they had the issue.

Gregg the issue was indeed the late 2011 timeframe irrc, but looks like it was just the stage 1 billet cams not the stage 2's.

Oh ok, thanks for the correction.

Sent from my helicopter

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back