Cams... Cams.... CAMS

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking for the best cams with power that don't sacrifice drive-ability. I daily my car so I don't want to be lugging in traffic. I can't risk sacrificing low end. What do you recommend for most power without sacrificing low end? I'm not picky on VSR or NSR. I'm currently looking at brenspeed detorit rockers or FRPP hot rod cams.

Current setup is
JLT series 3 intake
Kooks long tube headers + catted H (plan to have a catless X as well so I can swap back and forth)
X4 tuner with pre programmed tune
Roush Axleback (square tips)

Last edited:

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Detroit Rocker SC cams, and while they say that they don't lose any low end, I have personally felt a slight loss of low end torque. However, the car is totally drivable and does not lug in traffic. And it definitely woke up the car up on the big end.

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Detroit Rocker SC cams, and while they say that they don't lose any low end, I have personally felt a slight loss of low end torque. However, the car is totally drivable and does not lug in traffic. And it definitely woke up the car up on the big end.

SC as in supercharger cams?
Have you dynoed your can before and after?

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah its the super charger cams. I put them in to prepare for a DOB supercharger kit.

I have never dynoed the car, so I can't offer any real numbers. It just feels faster. My car does have longtube headers and a Airaid CAI.

Order of my mods:
  • I bought the car bone stock (with the exception of Mac axle backs)
  • Airaid CAI - little to no difference in performance
  • Longtube headers and X-pipe - decent improvement
  • DR SC Cams - slightly less torque down low, but great improvement from 4000-up

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tune will be key to variability, if you have a favorite tuner, consult with him about what he has found works best for him given your goals.

as for an actual grind, L&M can't be beat IMO, they don't list a 3V cam on their site, however I'm sure Mike has a profile for your goals if you call him.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Hot Rods in my car, I wouldn’t say the driveability suffered much at all, can definitely feel the change in the power curve but by no means unuseable for a daily.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I'm looking for the best cams with power that don't sacrifice drive-ability. I daily my car so I don't want to be lugging in traffic. I can't risk sacrificing low end. What do you recommend for most power without sacrificing low end? I'm not picky on VSR or NSR.

You could go for either the Comp NSR Stage 1 (#127050, +23rwhp -3rwtq, minimal low rpm torque loss) or the NSR Stage 2 (#127200, + 31rwhp -6rwtq, more low rpm torque loss). Both will have a good idle quality and driveability. If you want a more lopey idle, go for either the FP Hot Rod cams or the Brenspeed Detroit Rockers.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I can offer a video of my car idling and accelerating with the Detroit Rocker SC cams if you are interested. (I'm assuming the Detroit Rocker NA cams sound similar..)

roegs

Reaction score
To the OP and others that replied with cams, what rear end ratio's do you have? I'm in a similar situation with my '09 GT. Stock other than FRPP CAI. I have a manual transmission with 3.31 gears and like the OP am concerned about loss of low end drivability if I went with either Detroit Rockers or Hot Rod cams.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running the stock 3.55s in mine and plan to keep them since I'll be going supercharged very soon. After the cams, the car is totally drivable with them and feels great when banging gears, but it does feel like a slight loss of torque during normal driving and a lower rear gear would likely help this if staying NA.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only time I experience any driveability issues really is if you try to go really slow in first gear- tends to buck a little, and when it's chilly outside and the car is dead cold it runs a little wonky for a minute or so. I still have my stock 3.55's and I think driveability is great, still feels plenty strong in the midrange.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
To the OP and others that replied with cams, what rear end ratio's do you have? I'm in a similar situation with my '09 GT. Stock other than FRPP CAI. I have a manual transmission with 3.31 gears and like the OP am concerned about loss of low end drivability if I went with either Detroit Rockers or Hot Rod cams.

I have the 3.73’s with my Hot Rods and love them, I’m sure many people are gonna comment and tell you to get 4.10’s. I was unaware there even was a 3.31 option.. I thought the 3.55’s felt a little wide!

roegs

Reaction score
I was unaware there even was a 3.31 option.. I thought the 3.55’s felt a little wide!

Yeah, I wish I had at least 3.55 gears. I believe 3.55 was standard for manual transmission GT's from 2005 to possibly 2007. Ford then dropped the standard ratio for manual transmission GT's down to 3.31. I've thought (and priced out) multiple times getting my rear axle gears swapped out to 3.73's. Maybe I'm too paranoid but I get concerned that the guy may not know exactly what he's doing and then I end up with a whine etc.... I'm probably overthinking it.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I had at least 3.55 gears. I believe 3.55 was standard for manual transmission GT's from 2005 to possibly 2007. Ford then dropped the standard ratio for manual transmission GT's down to 3.31. I've thought (and priced out) multiple times getting my rear axle gears swapped out to 3.73's. Maybe I'm too paranoid but I get concerned that the guy may not know exactly what he's doing and then I end up with a whine etc.... I'm probably overthinking it.

I had that same concern after reading some horror stories but any reputable shop should nail the install, I’ve had the 3.73’s in my car for 2 years now and no noise.. or the exhaust at least drowns it out. Lol.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Detroit Rockers NA cams installed. I changed from the Mutha Thumpers because of the lurching while searching for a parking spot or any other low RPM driving. I love the DR's and agree with ghunt81 on the cold idle and first drive when cold. They need the motor to be atleast warm to get the best driveability. I am running the stock 3.55 gears. The DR's also work better with my Procharger than the Mutha Thumpers.

Blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Reaction score
never had an issue with comp stage 3 cams, my set up was properly tuned... loved the high rpm power from my n/a set up....but now i'm boosted so i'm on stock cams with livernois springs..

Phil1098

Reaction score
My old dog still has 3.55 stock rear end and there is no driveability issues at all with my Hot Rods. It does has a pretty good lope at idle, but no issues. From some things I had read you need to change the rear gear, but I just haven't found it to be true at all. Don't get me wrong, if an angel came down and put in 3.73 or 4.10 overnight, I wouldn't be pissed, but I'm not motivated enough to do it myself.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The driveability issues are caused by an improper tune for the new cams. The higher ratio axle gears are only needed to counter the loss of torque at lower rpm, particularly below 3300rpm where the response may feel soft.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Can't a guy just get a badass idle lope with zero drivability changes and zero torque loss? Sheesh.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
If all you want is sound, I'd suggest the Hot Rods or Detroit Rockers. I think the Rockers are a little bigger than the Hot Rods.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back