Dark_Horse 302 Stroker Turbo Build...Here we go!!

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
But you don't have cams with over 550 lift?

If everything works out I will be running cams with .555 exhaust lift. I will be running the same trickflow by PAC springs. The person with the cams, called trickflow and they approved them for this much lift.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I was just thinking a little more wouldn't hurt anything. I was looking at the Trick Flows vs. Comp's Behive Severe Duty... Does anyone have an opinion or experience as to why I should get one vs. the other.

That is if anyone still follows along with this anymore lol.... Look fellas if I don't get some words of encouragement I will bring that wonderful camera editing ap I had and start posting away lol...

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yeah I was just thinking a little more wouldn't hurt anything. I was looking at the Trick Flows vs. Comp's Behive Severe Duty... Does anyone have an opinion or experience as to why I should get one vs. the other.

That is if anyone still follows along with this anymore lol.... Look fellas if I don't get some words of encouragement I will bring that wonderful camera editing ap I had and start posting away lol...
I run the Comp springs with no real issues here. I have spun them to 7550 for two season's before, I had one with an issue. If you plan to run big lift and work the motor, I would make valve springs a yearly check. That's my experience. I use the stiffer ones for .550 lift. Don't remember the part number off hand but I'm sure someone has the info.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Comp springs with no real issues here. I have spun them to 7550 for two season's before, I had one with an issue. If you plan to run big lift and work the motor, I would make valve springs a yearly check. That's my experience. I use the stiffer ones for .550 lift. Don't remember the part number off hand but I'm sure someone has the info.

I will be going with the comp COM26125-16. They are a little heavier duty then TFS... My machinist said he honed the block yesterday.

Yeah you read that right he is actually working on it lol...

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I have heard of more than one instance of those comp springs breaking. I am not sure what that is attested to but it has been known to happen.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard of more than one instance of those comp springs breaking. I am not sure what that is attested to but it has been known to happen.

BMR Dylan (formerly AnotherS197GT) lost a motor to the beehive springs IIRC. Just putting that out there in case you want to talk to someone who had a failure with them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I talked to a comp. rep on their forums about the springs. They had a bad batch of 113's... is what he claimed.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I talked to a comp. rep on their forums about the springs. They had a bad batch of 113's... is what he claimed.

Manley nextec were the ones breaking years ago. Then is was the comp 123 springs, not 113. The 123 don't have the lift capability of 125 but they were cheaper and people would run them with high lift cams. IIRC they were a .500 lift spring just like the Manley nextec.

At one time comp recommended the 113 for over .550. Then they came out with the 125 and lowered the 113 rating.

That's how I remember it anyway.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I had one break after running them three seasons on three motors. I consider these things wear items after two seasons now. Comp told me the worst thing for a spring is to set dry out of the motor. I forget why now though.
What is the difference between these two besides $100 Is what I posted an old part number or something?

You will be missing 8 springs.
Might not run correctly...:whistle1:

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Sorry, don't think I am arguing Billy. I have a hard time conveying how I am trying to say something online

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the PAC 1533's before you make your final decision. They're supposed to be good to .575 lift. I've been running them for a couple thousand miles and a handful of passes and they've been great.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Ahh I see now lol... thank you.

Are you ready to see what this thing has at the track this year? It won't be long and I will be asking for your PayPal address again. It's been too long

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Manley nextec were the ones breaking years ago. Then is was the comp 123 springs, not 113. The 123 don't have the lift capability of 125 but they were cheaper and people would run them with high lift cams. IIRC they were a .500 lift spring just like the Manley nextec.

At one time comp recommended the 113 for over .550. Then they came out with the 125 and lowered the 113 rating.

That's how I remember it anyway.

"Hi eighty6gt,
1. There really isn't a specific answer to your boost loss question. The boost change will vary from engine to engine.
2. I have not heard any reports of increased IAT's. If so, this would only happen at idle. In fact, reversion may carry a bit of fuel with it, which would actually tend to cool the air.
3. I like to see the heavier 26125 springs on the 127550 camshafts. The lighter 26113 springs did have a few breakages many years ago, and that problem was corrected. The cam phasers have been a bit hit and miss with the heavier 26125 valve springs. The age of the engine/phaser, oil pressure, etc will affect whether or not the phaser will still work with the heavier springs. The safest bet would be to lock the phasers out.
4. With 80,000 miles, springs should be changed when you upgrade to any performance camshaft."

I guess they are/were all breaking. Good luck everyone!

Back