Do you change your oil even if its only got like 1,000 miles but several months old?

SGTguy

forum member
Reaction score
I change my oil once a year or 5k miles.
Car stored with old oil is not good, the a funny one, lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I do mine about every 9-12 months. At that point it has about 2000-3000 miles on it, and the oil life monitor is at 25% or higher still. I don't use the Motorcraft junk though, and my oil still looks new when I drop it out...

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
It won't hurt it but some people out of an abundance of caution like to waste a little motor oil to feel better. My car will sit 4-6 weeks at a time in the garage during winter with temps ranging from 30-60 degrees.

I'm much more likely to blow it up myself before anything else is going to harm it.

Just curious, has anyone in this thread ever blown up an engine? If so, was it due to old oil?

I knew a guy back in my sales rep days that drove a brand new Oldmobile Intrigue for over 20,000 miles before he got the oil changed (he was a workaholic, and viewed time spent getting his oil changed as time he could be making sales calls). After the leasing company bugged him enough to get the oil changed, he continued to drive that car for a couple more years (not sure the mileage). And as sales reps, we were pretty hard on these cars. A lot of stop and go, and short distance commuter driving. He never had any troubles with it, AFAIK. Or course, I wouldn't recommend his maintenance schedule LOL

This was kinda my thought when I started this thread.....in 12 + years of wrenching on cars and wrenching on buddies cars I can't think of a single oil related failure that was related to old/bad oil. Hell I even had a good friend that ran his motor dry for a 3 minute drive around the block after we put a cam on it and when we figured out why the motor was making strange noises, we filled it with oil and it ran fine till the day he sold it.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL ask Toyota and GM if there have been engine failures due to longer than recommended oil change intervals.

toyota-engine-problems_11352.jpg

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Lol...Sounds like most hear just have garage queens so the mileage between changes isn't even a deciding factor on when to do it.

Shit.. I bought mine to drive the fucker. Got 21K miles total so far and 11k of it just from this summer alone. Oil's changed every 5K miles either way for me.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Some of you are funny!

Motor = Electrical
Engine = Mechanical

And... Good grief man. Oil "Is" liquid folks. There is a reason there is an "Oil pan" on the bottom of every engine block... 90% of all the oil flows back to the pan once we turn off an engine. It is not sitting, defying gravity, up all inside the engine. Synthetic and portions of the oil does "Stick" so to speak to the engine, but the majority falls to the bottom...

Now... I do not care what the oil companies and Car manufactures say about this 7500-10k mile oil change crap. Ours get done from 4500-5500 like clock work. Or once every six months for the low mileage trailer hauler/Labrador hauler... Normally Spring/fall...

I have seen engines I have built, and other have built, slug up. Regardless of the oil used... How the vehicle is treated and how often the oil is changes makes a difference in my pocket book over the long haul.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Correction:

Condensation builds up / condenses when the motor and oil cools down. It depends a lot on ambient temps and humidity and whether the car was brought up to operating temps before shut down.

If the car is just pulled out of the garage or idled for a couple minutes and then turned off, the water in the oil and crankcase will accumulate with time. If the car can warm up completely, the water gets boiled off and exits via the PCV system...REMEMBER THIS when you want to remove the PCV system for breathers!

The water then combines with combustion / blowby byproducts to form acid in the oil that erodes metal surfaces. This is often a bigger source of metal wear in many engines than friction.

This is why oils with high TBN (Total Base Numbers to neutralize acids) are important.

BTW, condensation and water accumulation is really bad in E85 engines so watch out guys.

If you remove the PCV Wouldn't the boiled off water still exit out of the same location which would at that point contain a breather? The flip side to that logic is the vapor stays in the engine due to breathers......?

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
If you remove the PCV Wouldn't the boiled off water still exit out of the same location which would at that point contain a breather? The flip side to that logic is the vapor stays in the engine due to breathers......?

Water vapor will come out breathers to some extent, but remember a good PCV system will try to get the crankcase into a vacuum. Water boils off more easily in a vacuum (the opposite effect: you have a pressure cap on the cooling system, to increase the boiling point), so more water is eliminated with a PCV setup.

Without the vacuum to reduce the boiling point somewhat and actively draw the water-laden air out of the crankcase, the engine becomes a "pot on the stove with the lid on". The water boils out of the oil, condenses up top in the cam covers and runs back down, repeating the cycle.

Last edited:

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Water vapor will come out breathers to some extent, but remember a good PCV system will try to get the crankcase into a vacuum. Water boils off more easily in a vacuum (the opposite effect: you have a pressure cap on the cooling system, to increase the boiling point), so more water is eliminated with a PCV setup.

Without the vacuum to reduce the boiling point somewhat and actively draw the water-laden air out of the crankcase, the engine becomes a "pot on the stove with the lid on". The water boils out of the oil, condenses up top in the cam covers and runs back down, repeating the cycle.

I follow your logic. However, it takes a fairly considerable amount of vacuum to effect the boiling point of water. The boiling point of water at 29.5" (atmospheric pressure at sea-level) is 100 degC. Reducing the pressure down to 28" will only lower the boiling point of the water to approximately 99 degC. I imagine a pot with the lid on and then a pot with a vented lid. The vented pot(engine) has no prob in a very short amount of time evaporating all the water in the pot. Even with a small vent. So with all things equal I understand what your saying with the PCV system.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
LOL ask Toyota and GM if there have been engine failures due to longer than recommended oil change intervals.

toyota-engine-problems_11352.jpg

Oh this is so disgusting ! Heck it looks like Gmitch's F-150..after 45 k miles. So how much do you folks have into your mustangs... $30-$50k ? And you are trying to..'save' a few $$ with extended oil changes. Just change it twice per year. That works out to aprx 4k miles every 6 months for myself. The above sludge deposits pix is gonna give me nightmares.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
I follow your logic. However, it takes a fairly considerable amount of vacuum to effect the boiling point of water. The boiling point of water at 29.5" (atmospheric pressure at sea-level) is 100 degC. Reducing the pressure down to 28" will only lower the boiling point of the water to approximately 99 degC. I imagine a pot with the lid on and then a pot with a vented lid. The vented pot(engine) has no prob in a very short amount of time evaporating all the water in the pot. Even with a small vent. So with all things equal I understand what your saying with the PCV system.

True, the effect of minimal vacuum is "minimal", lol.
But having some flow coming out of the crankcase is significantly better than relying on ring blowby to push vapors out.

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
The BMW we had went 15K between oil changes. If it was bad why would they do it? They have to cover it under warranty if it breaks.

That said I follow the manufacture recommendations regarding oil changes.

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
I change mine every 90 days. Even though it may not even have 500 miles on it. I don't like letting oil sit.

What happens to oil that sits in a sealed crank case?

I have a car that had it's oil changed 2 or 3 years ago. It's seen about 40 miles in 3 years. I have no intention on changing it anytime soon.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
The BMW we had went 15K between oil changes. If it was bad why would they do it? They have to cover it under warranty if it breaks.

That said I follow the manufacture recommendations regarding oil changes.
I'm a service advisor at BMW they push them as far out as possible bc they pay for oil changes under maintenance 4years 50k miles. Same as the warranty. And by the time you really notice any effects from it the car is out of warranty anyway. Plus they encourage you to extend the maintenance and warranty which they profit off of which extends from 4/50k to 6/100k and again most issues you will have will be towards the end of the warranty running out. I encourage my customers that plan on keeping their car past warranty expiration to pay for one in between the scheduled oil change. Lease customers don't care bc they turn it in and get a new one before the maintenance and warranty is up, which is most of the customer base that buys new BMW's. Something that customers don't usually know is if your car hasn't hit the mileage for scheduled service they will cover one after one year from the last oil change as well. And depending on the model and engine the oil change interval isn't an exact mileage either. The cars computer sets it based off of driving conditions/fuel economy. So the better gas mileage the car sees the further out it may set the interval. I had a car go 19k before it set the indicator for service and that was in under a year. The guy drove quite a bit of hwy.

Last edited:

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
I'm a service advisor at BMW they push them as far out as possible bc they pay for oil changes under maintenance 4years 50k miles. Same as the warranty. And by the time you really notice any effects from it the car is out of warranty anyway. Plus they encourage you to extend the maintenance and warranty which they profit off of which extends from 4/50k to 6/100k and again most issues you will have will be towards the end of the warranty running out. I encourage my customers that plan on keeping their car past warranty expiration to pay for one in between the scheduled oil change. Lease customers don't care bc they turn it in and get a new one before the maintenance and warranty is up, which is most of the customer base that buys new BMW's

Good info. I'd buy that. Who owns a BWM after the warranty period anyway? Haha. We got rid of ours.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Good info. I'd buy that. Who owns a BWM after the warranty period anyway? Haha. We got rid of ours.
Sorry I added something to my last post. More info for you.

"Something that customers don't usually know is if your car hasn't hit the mileage for scheduled service they will cover one after one year from the last oil change as well. And depending on the model and engine the oil change interval isn't an exact mileage either. The cars computer sets it based off of driving conditions/fuel economy. So the better gas mileage the car sees the further out it may set the interval. I had a car go 19k before it set the indicator for service and that was in under a year. The guy drove quite a bit of hwy."

mustang1200

Badass
Reaction score
Sorry I added something to my last post. More info for you.

"Something that customers don't usually know is if your car hasn't hit the mileage for scheduled service they will cover one after one year from the last oil change as well. And depending on the model and engine the oil change interval isn't an exact mileage either. The cars computer sets it based off of driving conditions/fuel economy. So the better gas mileage the car sees the further out it may set the interval. I had a car go 19k before it set the indicator for service and that was in under a year. The guy drove quite a bit of hwy."

I bet my mom goes 45K between oil changes. Way past the indicator. I remind her, but she doesn't listen.

The biggest complaint I had about our BWM was the lack of a physical dipstick. That is so engrained as a must have I just couldn't stand it.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I bet my mom goes 45K between oil changes. Way past the indicator. I remind her, but she doesn't listen.

The biggest complaint I had about our BWM was the lack of a physical dipstick. That is so engrained as a must have I just couldn't stand it.
I agree, I would be lying if I said the electronic level sensors never fail haha

Back