Do you change your oil even if its only got like 1,000 miles but several months old?

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
I've always wondered if the old x amount of miles or every 3 months thing was true or just a marketing gimmick to sell more oil. I drive my mustang very little due to having several vehicles and bad weather, so I noticed today that my little sticker in the window that I put up every time I change the oil is like 3 months past due, except my miles are nowhere close to the limit (I do my oil about every 4,500-5,000 miles with full synthetic). I probably drive my car less than 400 miles a month, so it would take over a year to rack up enough miles to get to 4,500. Should I just change it anyways or am I throwing away money? Whats the general consensus?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would, condensation builds up because of the engine not heating up and being able to burn the moisture off.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I change mine just once a year before putting it away for the Winter. It only gets driven 6 months out of the year with maybe 1500 miles tops.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I change mine just once a year before putting it away for the Winter. It only gets driven 6 months out of the year with maybe 1500 miles tops.

I do the same but wait till spring. Why let clean oil sit for 3-4 months.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I change mine once per year in the spring. The car sits a lot during the winter but does usually get driven at least once every 4-6 weeks during the 3-4 months of cold weather. Total mileage on the car is 4000-5000 per year.

Oils these days are exceptionally good compared to what used to be. I used to do every six months but not any more. Waste of motor oil.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Change mine every six months, which ends up being about 2,000 miles. Have been using mobil 1 extended performance filters and oil since the first oil change.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Its cheap insurance, change it and don't penny pinch the $30-45. If you're driving it so irregularly your not paying to fuel it so by that logic the cost of oil should be trivial/moot.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I do once a year. Same that Ford recommended in the manual and the smart indicator seems to follow it as well. I was down to like under 20% oil life this year and I did it a little early. I use a Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft full synthetic. My manufacturer date was 12/12 so I did one around 11/13 last year and did one end of 10/14 this year. This way there is fresh oil in it in the winter when it's driven less too. I have under 1300 miles on it still.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I will be changing it next week then. Its funny because I bought this car with the intent of driving it every day (I used to be that guy that made fun of those crazy mustang fanatics that try to keep their miles low and garage it all year).......but then I bought a beater F150 for bad weather (St. Louis, some snow, lots of ice), and I find myself not driving the mustang whenever their is a hint of moisture out, so I turned into what I used to make fun of. Hah.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Someone make sure Darren gets the memo, if his oil pan is not full of playdough already.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Once a year with Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance, got 90,000 on it, runs like a top. Anything more than that with this oil and it's a big waste IMO.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It won't hurt it but some people out of an abundance of caution like to waste a little motor oil to feel better. My car will sit 4-6 weeks at a time in the garage during winter with temps ranging from 30-60 degrees.

I'm much more likely to blow it up myself before anything else is going to harm it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back