Drank the Kool-Aid - MGW

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
Took the plunge and ordered the MGW flat stick shifter based on the "cult like" following it seems to have - really couldn't find a bad review. Considered Steeda and really almost bought the Barton as it has a "cult like" following with the challenger crowd (and a similar story to MGW as far as the company goes). Will be installing that, along with an FRPP aluminum one piece driveshaft I just received.....going to tackle the spark plug replacement too (fingers crossed). If I get done "early" I may do cams, but at 76k on the motor, I would think I should do the timing components too. Opinions?

bullitt1011

Reaction score
I did the Hurst Shifter and love it no issues. As far as cams go I put Ford Motorsport cams on at 30,000miles I'm at 77,000 now and zero issues bonous 60's idle baby

Joe combs

Reaction score
I did the Barton on my 09 GT and love it...
You didnt mention what year the car was, but judging from the fingers crossed comment, I am going to take that as having the early style heads. Take your time and hopefully all goes well.

thumbnail_IMG_6765.jpg

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I love the MGW on my car, it's so damn nice feeling and VERY well built. One of those mods I wish I would of done years ago. That with the new clutch (almost broken in), but the shifting is totally different now. I haven't done a high rpm shift to see if the lockout is still there, yet.

I just had to deal with MGW's customer service and I was blown away. Very rarely do I ever run across a business that treats it's customers the way they do.

Due to a mishap, my shifter was damaged. I spoke to George (the VP/designer of the shifters) on the phone twice, very nice guy. They had my shifter repaired and re-boxed ready to be shipped back to me within an hour of receiving it! It was quite damaged as well. I hope you don't have to deal with their customer service, but if you do, it's top notch.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I bought MGW shifters for both of my Mustangs. Second one I picked up in person as their factory was 25 miles from the dealership where I bought my 2014 GT. George personally gave me the nickle tour of the place. On my way out the receptionist handed me a bag full of swag items. T shirt, coozies, etc.
The shifters are amazing, especially compared to the sloppy stock crap.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
MGW from foxbody to the S197 is an awesome upgrade hands down. Worth every penny. If there is one draw back...its the wait on the new one shipping , but they may have increased production since I bought mine. Worth every freaking penny. Loved mine. Had a Hurst prior and wish I had never bought it aside from the nostalgia of having it after running through the gears on the MGW. It's truly the Rolex of shifters for Mustangs and Camaros.

The reason you never heard of MGW in the MOPAR world is because they do not cater to MOPAR to date...but that could change. So MOPAR peeps have to settle for a distant second or even third best with the Barton.

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
I did the Barton on my 09 GT and love it...
You didnt mention what year the car was, but judging from the fingers crossed comment, I am going to take that as having the early style heads. Take your time and hopefully all goes well.

View attachment 84900

Yup, early heads as my car is an '06 - LOVE the look of the barton in your car - I went with the silver flat stick and black ball with the shift pattern on my MGW too - really cant wait for the improved feel and consistency - hopefully the MGW is tall enough for my preference too (really hate the "stubby" stock height)

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
MGW from foxbody to the S197 is an awesome upgrade hands down. Worth every penny. If there is one draw back...its the wait on the new one shipping , but they may have increased production since I bought mine. Worth every freaking penny. Loved mine. Had a Hurst prior and wish I had never bought it aside from the nostalgia of having it after running through the gears on the MGW. It's truly the Rolex of shifters for Mustangs and Camaros.

The reason you never heard of MGW in the MOPAR world is because they do not cater to MOPAR to date...but that could change. So MOPAR peeps have to settle for a distant second or even third best with the Barton.

I've got a T5 in my '66 and was looking at their shifters for those transmissions, but I don't see a handle that would work. It needs to be swept back pretty far as the location coming out of the trans tunnel is quite far forward.

redfire - did you go from stock to MGW in the fox car? I have a steeda tri-ax in there now and wonder how much improvement it would be.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
plenty of friends with mgw in their foxes. my experience is with s197 cars. everyone in our group with foxes running them love them as well. these are mostly hard core racers who power shift low 10 sec na setups and faster. the second choice with them is the steeda triax. i actually had a friend snap the shifter off of a steeda making a pass.

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
Just got the email the shifter has shipped (say that 3 times fast) - Time to fire up the heat in the garage and get the car in the air! Im actually driving it today, got a couple of days of steady rain and now a few nice sunny days....feels good to be out of the beater subaru!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
hopefully the MGW is tall enough for my preference too (really hate the "stubby" stock height)
Hi Danny Paladino,
FYI, if you might want a longer shifter handle (assuming that you've bought the OEM handle that the OEM knob fits on), MGW has the longer handle for their TR6060 version shifter available for a $15.00 cost that will work w\ the TR3650 shifter & these handles can be adjusted somewhat as well (the thread shank is approx 1 1\2" long thus can be adjusted using the lock nut).

If you do adjust the handle length w\ the lock nut, I recommend to not use the lock nut alone but use some 1\2" flat Grd 8 washers to space out between the top of the shifter & the lock nut to adjust the total handle length......the flat washers transfer the side loading from lock nut to top of shifter so none of the threads are exposed above the lock nut (weakest section of handle....threads are treated\designed for tensile loading, not side loading) so you can beat on it w\o fear of breaking handle as the side load is transferred thru the washers to top of shifter.....same as if the lock nut is against the top of shifter itself. Grd 8 washers are hardened so won't deform\crush.

I've drank this Kool-Aid myself & it tastes pretty darn good if I must say so.........the amount of adjustability this shifter brings w\ it is worth every penny......just as much as the overall build quality which is over the top.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a Barton with my 3650 and I didn't miss gears at the track like I did with the stock shifter. It served me well and I liked the robust feel of it.

I went with an MGW Gen 2 with the slightly longer handle and one of their weighted gripper shift knobs when I went to a TR6060 and the shift feel makes the car a joy to drive. The detailed engineering that goes into their shifters is incredible.

Both make excellent products and since I had 2 very different transmissions, I can't really say that one company is better than the other. They are both top notch IMO.

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
Hi Danny Paladino,
FYI, if you might want a longer shifter handle (assuming that you've bought the OEM handle that the OEM knob fits on), MGW has the longer handle for their TR6060 version shifter available for a $15.00 cost that will work w\ the TR3650 shifter & these handles can be adjusted somewhat as well (the thread shank is approx 1 1\2" long thus can be adjusted using the lock nut).

If you do adjust the handle length w\ the lock nut, I recommend to not use the lock nut alone but use some 1\2" flat Grd 8 washers to space out between the top of the shifter & the lock nut to adjust the total handle length......the flat washers transfer the side loading from lock nut to top of shifter so none of the threads are exposed above the lock nut (weakest section of handle....threads are treated\designed for tensile loading, not side loading) so you can beat on it w\o fear of breaking handle as the side load is transferred thru the washers to top of shifter.....same as if the lock nut is against the top of shifter itself. Grd 8 washers are hardened so won't deform\crush.

I've drank this Kool-Aid myself & it tastes pretty darn good if I must say so.........the amount of adjustability this shifter brings w\ it is worth every penny......just as much as the overall build quality which is over the top.
Thanks for the tip on the washers - makes sense - I take it I should leave at least the thickness of the stud threaded in the hole.....btw I got the "flat stick" model as I like that look better....I guess I could always have a friend that's a master welder modify and/or splice a longer handle on

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I got the "flat stick" model
Ok....what I typed concerning handle adjustment using flat washers is not referring to the MGW flat stick style handle (I am referring to the round "OEM" style MGW handles as these I bought\used w\ my MGW 3650 shifter), so you might call MGW & ask if they make a longer flat stick handle for the TR6060 shifter that can be used w\ the 3650-version shifter........

That is how I found out that they made a longer OEM style shifter handle than the 1 that they package w\ the std 3650 shifter............

Hope this helps.

Danny Paladino

Reaction score
Ok....what I typed concerning handle adjustment using flat washers is not referring to the MGW flat stick style handle (I am referring to the round "OEM" style MGW handles as these I bought\used w\ my MGW 3650 shifter), so you might call MGW & ask if they make a longer flat stick handle for the TR6060 shifter that can be used w\ the 3650-version shifter........

That is how I found out that they made a longer OEM style shifter handle than the 1 that they package w\ the std 3650 shifter............

Hope this helps.

I'm a little confused myself as I've seen 2 different flat stick styles from MGW......one is "fixed" one piece and the other (in the pic on their website) adjusts just like the the "standard" shifter...we'll see when it gets here! Whatever it is....I live with it for a while and modify it if need be

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If it isn't what you want, call and ask them about it. They will gladly do whatever it takes to make you happy as a customer.

Jim O

Reaction score
I've only heard good things about the MGW shifter so you can't go wrong. But I have the Barton flat stick ( I guess I drink cool aid also) and I have no regrets.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
This is what a flat stick looks like, on an MT82 at least. THE best shifter, you'll be pleased with it. And like skwerl said, if there's something you want to change, call them up. Their customer service is top notch.

20221215_074808.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back