Finding TDC using a piston stop

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I have a question, I understand how a piston stop works. I put the piston stop in the spark plug hole and turned it by hand CW and came up with 337 degrees and then I turned the motor CCW and came up with 277 degrees. Split the difference and I come up with 307 degrees. That should be my TDC right?

My only question, is how do I know what length to set the screw at?

I would think that if the screw is all the out into the combustion chamber it will stop the piston sooner and if it is all the way in, it won't stop the piston at all. Any help? Please? My TDC indicator is too short or else I would have used that.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
It doesn't matter because once you split the difference in the readings, you will end up at the same degree mark no matter the depth of the stop. Picture a pendulum swinging real wide back and forth, then picture it swinging just a little back and forth. The mid point for either swing is the same.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys! I think I ran into some issues degreeing my cams today so I figured I would start from the beginning and try and figure out what's happening.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
It doesn't matter because once you split the difference in the readings, you will end up at the same degree mark no matter the depth of the stop. Picture a pendulum swinging real wide back and forth, then picture it swinging just a little back and forth. The mid point for either swing is the same.

+1.

go302

Tits McGee
Reaction score
Scott, what did you end up using as a piston stop? I have the same kit and am having the same problem. Can't find a piston stop that fits my threads anywhere.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back