Foxbody

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
The list is actually surprisingly long for what was part of the fox chassis family. It was a real work horse (LOL) of a chassis for Ford.
It’s just Fox. Body was just naturally added when talking about the different auto platforms. Like GM, they just use letters like the f body. Most manufacturers use a letter number combo. Most of fords platforms are letter number combos with the exception of the fox and panther platforms. The actual workhorse was the panther platform spanning 33 years of dutiful service. S197 mustangs are part of Fords D2C platform.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Cervini stuff is pretty nice. After my puking gas and fire incident, I decided to "upgrade". 91 gt into 93 cobra clone with Cervini bumper and spoiler. Add 2 1/2 cowl hood. :)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A little history on my GT. When I found it for sale it had a list of modifications and parts that was extensive and it had a stack of seemingly legit supporting paperwork. After driving it I and reading through the paperwork I believed it to be all true. A great many of the parts I could see and everything jived. I was super critical with the condition of the unibody this time. Seller was asking $8K. I offered him $7K. For that money I got...

A clean '93 GT hatchback car
A DSS 331 Block & Rotating Assembly
AFR185 Heads
Crane Gold Race 1.6:1 Roller Rockers
Anderson Ford Motorsport Camshaft
Trickflow R-Series Intake
75mm Throttle Body
42 lb/hr injectors
1 5/8" long tube BBK headers
2 1/2" H-pipe
Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel with steel surface
Fidenza clutch
An aftermarket shifter of unknown pedigree (was supposed to be a Steeda, it's not)
3.73 Gears
An Auburn locker (yet to be verified)
Electric Contour fan conversion
QA1 Coil Over Front Suspension
QA1 Tubular K-Member
A FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft

And it was tuned and came with a dyno sheet I believe to be real.

331Dyno.png

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The parts list added up to almost as much as buying the car. So I felt I had found a fair deal for me. I never understood why the seller wanted to get rid of the car. He said he had it for three years and didn't drive it much. It seems to be well put together and well tuned. it has great throttle response and no matter what gear its in it wants to rip. At any speed in any gear it sounds like it's set on kill. I think he might have been afraid of it. At any rate, I was happy to have it.

The only immediately apparent issues were the T5 has some kind of squeaky noise when cold which I think has something to do with the throw out retainer. It had an interior that smelled of gear oil (almost impossible to get out). And it had a hot start issue. Once it was warm if it shut off it had to cool down to get started. Which a traced to the shitty battery relocation hack job it had. I'll leave that story and how I fixed it for another post.

Last edited:

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
A little history on my GT. When I found it for sale it had a list of modifications and parts that was extensive and it had a stack of seemingly legit supporting paperwork. After driving it I and reading through the paperwork I believed it to be all true. A great many of the parts I could see and everything jived. I was super critical with the condition of the unibody this time. Seller was asking $8K. I offered him $7K. For that money I got...

A clean '93 GT hatchback car
A DSS 331 Block & Rotating Assembly
AFR185 Heads
Crane Gold Race 1.6:1 Roller Rockers
Anderson Ford Motorsport Camshaft
Trickflow R-Series Intake
75mm Throttle Body
42 lb/hr injectors
1 5/8" long tube BBK headers
2 1/2" H-pipe
Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel with steel surface
Fidenza clutch
An aftermarket shifter of unknown pedigree (was supposed to be a Steeda, it's not)
3.73 Gears
An Auburn locker (yet to be verified)
Electric Contour fan conversion
QA1 Coil Over Front Suspension
QA1 Tubular K-Member
A FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft

And it was tuned and came with a dyno sheet I believe to be real.

View attachment 72305
How about a sound clip?

MrBhp

Reaction score
The parts list added up to almost as much as buying the car. So I felt I had found a fair deal for me.
That's the way to buy them! A few years ago there was a '77 Nova listed in the paper for sale. Not a super desirable car, but.. The guy had this huge list of mods. The thing had a full pro shop built chassis, certified cage, aluminum interior, fully built and chromed big block with multi stage N2O, glide with trans brake, etc... He had to have had at least 100k in the car. The last line of the ad read "must sell, first 15k takes it".

JJDAG

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds real nice, like the smoked lx tail lights on the silver looks nice. I had an 87 gt I ordered new black w red interior, I wish I still had it next to my 07 gt. Have fun with yours it very nice and looks like your only gona make it better!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I actually hate those taillights. They have LED bulbs in them and they look weird when lit up. I have a nice set of '93 Cobra style taillights waiting in the wings.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I actually hate those taillights. They have LED bulbs in them and they look weird when lit up. I have a nice set of '93 Cobra style taillights waiting in the wings.
+1 on the SVO/Cobra taillights.
Does your CC work with LED taillight bulbs? On my 91, CC did not work w/LEDs. I think the 3rd brake light needs to have a minimum resistance for the CC.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
They had to refer to the '79-'93 Gen 3 Mustang as the Fox Body so that it wouldn't be confused with the '67-'02 F Body Camaro.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on the SVO/Cobra taillights.
Does your CC work with LED taillight bulbs? On my 91, CC did not work w/LEDs. I think the 3rd brake light needs to have a minimum resistance for the CC.

That's a good question. I have no idea if the 3rd brake light works. I haven't checked. It's going to get regular bulbs when I change the taillights.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
The car has AFR185's with Crane Gold Race on them. But I am collecting parts for another future build that will use GT40 iron heads and a B303 cam. I might be interested in them. I'll PM you.

Any reason you are switching to GT40 irons? FI?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any reason you are switching to GT40 irons? FI?

The GT40's are for a planed whole different car. Different in pretty much every way. I've wanted a T-bucket for almost 20 years. I passed on a body a few years ago and have regretted it since. So I am collecting parts for that. I have a few major parts stashed. GT40 heads, B303 cam, Weiand Stealth intake, complete 302.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Project Update, Project Update!!!

Well I was able get a day without helping with the kids. So I jumped head first into finishing the interior swap.

Previously I swapped all the interior panels and door panels and carpet into this car from another car. I don't have, or I should say I can't find, the pictures I did take when I started this project. Probably becasue I started this swap almost two summers ago.

Any who, I got up and lit off the heater to take the chill off the garage. Around 9:30 maybe 10:00 I was able to get started and was greeted with this as my starting point. One Opal dash waiting to be swapped out for a black dash.

Start.jpg

Got started by dropping the steering column as much as possible.

Dash 1.jpg

I worked my way around the dash finding all the nuts, bolts and screws. Disconnecting a ton of shit.

Dash 2.jpg

Until it was out of the car on the floor.

Dash 3.jpg

And my mess looked like this.

Dash 4.jpg

At this point it was past lunch time and my stomach was grouchy. So I broke for lunch.

NOM, NOM, NOM

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After eating I got back to it. At this point I very seriously considered not changing the heater core. I really didn't look forward to doing it. But I had the part and had a fair amount of time invested so far. If I didn't change it and had to pull the dash again to change it, I'd be pissed about it. So I dug in.

Heater Core Swap.jpg

And it was a good thing I did. Because I found this. A bad core. Sent this picture to my brother and his response was "That bullet left the gun. Just hadn't hit you yet. Good thing you're changing it." Yup.

Bad Core.jpg

And I had bought this a couple years ago. One OEM FoMoCo heater core. These genuine units are getting rare.

New Core.jpg

So I put it in and reconnected everything. And started wrestling th eblack dash I had waiting into the car and also figuring where the hell the wiring harness laid exactly. A puzzle in and of it's self.

Almost back in.jpg

Somewhere along the line I broke this plug and pulled the wires out of it.

Broke Plug.jpg

Wires.jpg

I will have to repair this.

As I was getting the last of the fasteners attached and almost had it back in. I got a cramp in my forearm that gave me an almost painful gimp hand, or maybe call it a Spiderman hand. LOL!! Took almost 10 minutes to subside. Felt really weird to not be able to stop my fingers from curling up.

Cramp.jpg

And then at about 7:45pm I decided I had done enough and it was time to call it a day.

Call it a day.jpg

So my swap is now about 90% complete. I can finish this up over the next few days putting the seat and console back in and fixing my broke plug.

Last edited:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what shifter is in there? It looks like a upr shifter to me.

The black interior looks really good! I’ve driven a couple foxes over the years but they were all opal grey. I really want a fox with a black and white interior myself, perhaps one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've never liked opal grey. It always has a greenish tint and looks dirty to me. My '90 GT had a black leather interior. I can do without the leather, but I prefer the black interior. This interior has black cloth seats.

There are no markings on the shifter. I looked for a part number. But it has an UPR handle and knob, so I am sure it's UPR.

But it won't matter because I have a Pro 5.0 power tower for my TKO.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back