Help me get my vert low 8's in the 1/8!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got some more questions?

Any of yall beefed up your 8.8" rear ends? I know I'm no where near a bazillion RWHP like all you out there, but am working at it little by little...So what should I do for the rear end? Detroit True Trac, Moser Axles, LPW Cover (Does it work with the true trac), and thats about it...About how much power/torque will that handle? What else is there to do besides what I listed?
LPW works fine with true-trac - you'd be hard pressed to find anything that it won't work with...

As for beefing:
1. you have a Vert which means you will have trouble using the CHE axle brace (due to the body braces that go under the axle)
2. moser is good
3. once you get in the 400+ range - there are more than a couple of broken true-tracs (I managed to break one with less than that using a metalic dual-disc clutch in front of a manual trans)

As for power handling - weight and impulse forces (speed of application of available torque) are the enemy...

Auto trans means you are ahead of the game since without radical mods, the auto trans will lower your impulse forces relative to what a manual can do...

The carnage seems to start at 450RWHP - though in some cases it took a good long time...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I noticed Don's set up and his seems to have held up pretty well I think. What about anyone else?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Keep in mind, my ring & pinion and bearings were replaced a few weeks ago. They started to fail due to a combination of 26,000 miles, 820+ runs, and maybe a less-than-perfect install. The news ones are perfect, tho!

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, my ring & pinion and bearings were replaced a few weeks ago. They started to fail due to a combination of 26,000 miles, 820+ runs, and maybe a less-than-perfect install. The news ones are perfect, tho!

I'm confident about my current 4.10's in my car. I'm just thinking ahead right now of other things out there to do. I actually have an excel spreadsheet of everything!! It's kind of nerdy, but it makes me feel organized!

Your set up in the rear end is almost identical to what I'm wanting to do. Though, you have the moser girdle w/studs and I'm going with the LPW. You have a freaking Kenne Bell with some nice slicks beating the hell outta that 8.8" rear end. How do you feel about it? Does it still feel pretty stout? Holding up pretty good for ya, besides the gears of course...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
So far, so good! :thumb: And you're right, I do indeed flog it pretty hard (and often).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back