If I could do it over drag race bitch & moan thread

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Memorial weekend is my tracks biggest race of the year. Friday night 21 cars in my sportsman class. I make it to the semi final round, only 3 cars left. One lucky bastard had a bye into the finals. I'm racing a 16.8 second Isuzu rodeo. I'm running my 12.90 Pro Street tune. All night I dialed in a 12.85 but decided to change it to 12.90 as my previous run seemed slow. Was also cutting killer lights all night in the .5's all night. I cut a .53 to my opponents .70 I catch him doing 108 to his 80mph .....let off and hit the brakes and cross the finish line. Lost the race I ran a 12.85 (my previous dial in). He broke out too but by less. Fuck....I could have braked more but didn't , got lazy and didn't stand on it. If you bracket race you know what I mean. I have made the finals every race this year.....fuck me I want a do over! LOL. Sat night lost in round one....God I really suck now. Sunday was a rain out. Now I get to live with the pain for a month till our next race. :dead2: LOL

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ah shit that is one of the worst ways to loose, since you already had it won, just didn't scrub off enough.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Fender racing is not my favorite way of winning, but you gotta do what you gotta do to win. Sounds like a big brake kit is in your future, Patrick!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Cant blame the brakes....I totally blew it, didnt hit them hard enough, got lazy. It will never happen again either! Lesson learned. LOL

Yeah Paul....you know it. Been haunted about it since Friday night, its an awful feeling. Everybody knows I'm and racer and ask how the weekend went. ....LOL..

Last edited:

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
I've been on the other side of that. Slowed down too much to not break out and gave the stripe back by .006. Bullshit!

Last race I was in a decided to dial the car hard and not give thought to hitting the brakes. I won a double break out race by .0011. I was .029 under and he was .030 under. My .033 (.533) to his .036 light. I run low 8's in the 1/8. It was a 6 second truck. He tried to cover me and burp the pedal but I stayed in it and ended up winning the whole thing!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been on the slow side too.....but I was a car length out...way too far. I know better. Thats what bothers me, huge driver error. LOL.

I am running a new tune and new tires which are taller so I had no baseline as to what the car would run and the weather was gawdawful. DA was 2125 ft on my first two runs then dropped to 1500. Car got faster and I kept winning by braking so I had no good data at what it would run. So my dial in was a guess. In the end 3rd is way better than losing in the round one. I won 4 races before this one so that aint a bad night really.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I do pretty well at bracket, but there have been times where I feel like it's going to be my fastest run and I just go for it knowing I am going to breakout just to see my ET :roflmao:

Next year I will get serious about winning some money now that the car mods are done and I know I'm not going to get much faster.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Memorial weekend is my tracks biggest race of the year. Friday night 21 cars in my sportsman class. I make it to the semi final round, only 3 cars left. One lucky bastard had a bye into the finals. I'm racing a 16.8 second Isuzu rodeo. I'm running my 12.90 Pro Street tune. All night I dialed in a 12.85 but decided to change it to 12.90 as my previous run seemed slow. Was also cutting killer lights all night in the .5's all night. I cut a .53 to my opponents .70 I catch him doing 108 to his 80mph .....let off and hit the brakes and cross the finish line. Lost the race I ran a 12.85 (my previous dial in). He broke out too but by less. Fuck....I could have braked more but didn't , got lazy and didn't stand on it. If you bracket race you know what I mean. I have made the finals every race this year.....fuck me I want a do over! LOL. Sat night lost in round one....God I really suck now. Sunday was a rain out. Now I get to live with the pain for a month till our next race. :dead2: LOL

I lost two years in a row at Atco Raceway in the Modern Muscle Shoot out that way to the same guy in the finals.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The only thing worse than breaking out is red lighting. I don't beat myself up too much if I break out, but the couple times I've red lit, I'm pretty hard on myself for.

With that said, I'm going bracket racing tonight. It's an NHRA thing, so all safety rules apply. That means I have to slow it down to 11.50. Last weekend I was running 10.30-10.40. That's a big gap to make up on the breaks every time.

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I have one particular race that eats at me to this day, and it happened 9 years ago.

I qualified for the IHRA Div 3 bracket finals. I was running modified eliminator and got on a pretty good run. It was a huge race, about 5 wins in I started to think I had a shot. I was cutting ridiculous lights, worst one was a .015 in the first 8 rounds. So in the finals I was afraid to give it away with a red light, so I came off the throttle by 400 rpm. I had an .053 light...... to his .030. I ran almost dead on and he was off .023. He took the race by .002..... to this day I feel like I gave that one away. I wanted the Ironman soooooooo bad. And it was practically in my hands.

Now I just don't have the opportunity to race enough to get the seat time to be that competitive again.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Good stories here, we all know the pain of a win given away. LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back