Mickey Thompson's (New-Street-Comp) UHP tire tested Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I drive my car maybe once a week so "the price point" was important to me. when I sold my wheels with the nitto 555's the guy buying them was saying the tires look brand new.

I've had 4 different sets of tires on the car in the 2 or so years since I've owned it and for the money spend these tires they are by far the best value for the sizes offered. if I had a lot of money to throw at tires and the car got drove more I would have went with a different brand.

also I don't know how these MT would act on a warm day, my 555's were on the car during the summer and its been cold when I got on it with these MT's. might make a difference...might not.
David,

If you don't have a real high HP Mustang the MT tires will be just fine.

But ........

I would say if a person was running 4:10 gears and Plus 400-450 RWHP the MT tires even in the summer are not going to hold.

I've ran a lot of different wheels and tires and honestly what I have found with Street-Tires with say a wear factor of 300 or greater.

They will not [Hold] on the street from a stop and a person just really jumps on the gas.

It's just the way it is as those tires were never meant to hold on the street with low gears and high HP.

They are designed for quietness, wear, looks, rain etc. with normal power.

As my HP & Trq. increased I can tell you this as a fact.
Not one tire that has been under my Mustang would hold on the street from a stop under full throttle.

Since I know that to be the case and don't wish to run Street Legal (Drag-Radials) that have No-Wear & throwing Crap all up on the rear fenders as well as underneath.

I'll stick with a good looking tire that performs OK but not Super Sticky for drag-racing on the drag-strip or street.

I hope you find the MT Street Comp tires to your liking as I have ran them for years now.

I'm waiting to see your's with the Bright Yellow Lettering. :hi:

Terry

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see your's with the Bright Yellow Lettering. :hi:

Terry

HA.

here is a quick PS the wife did.

I was gonna order the tredwear letters but they only had the factory letter design in white and I would have had to order the race font to get it in yellow so I decided to paint the letters in.

I ordered the yellow paint markers through summit yesterday so by next week they may be done.

I don't think it looks to bad but im open to all opinions.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I drive my car maybe once a week so "the price point" was important to me. when I sold my wheels with the nitto 555's the guy buying them was saying the tires look brand new.

I've had 4 different sets of tires on the car in the 2 or so years since I've owned it and for the money spend these tires they are by far the best value for the sizes offered. if I had a lot of money to throw at tires and the car got drove more I would have went with a different brand.
I guess I just can't understand why you'd have so quickly sold the tires that you considered to be a best fit for your needs - or how you could either wear out so many other tire sets or become so dissatisfied so many other times in such a short period of time. Especially when apparently driving the car so infrequently.

I mean, I can see how you might go through 4 or more sets of tires in two years if you were at least semi-seriously involved in road course track days, autocrossing, or drag-racing. But at that level in any of those activities, NT555's wouldn't be a normal choice.

Norm

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
I guess I just can't understand why you'd have so quickly sold the tires that you considered to be a best fit for your needs - or how you could either wear out so many other tire sets or become so dissatisfied so many other times in such a short period of time. Especially when apparently driving the car so infrequently.

I mean, I can see how you might go through 4 or more sets of tires in two years if you were at least semi-seriously involved in road course track days, autocrossing, or drag-racing. But at that level in any of those activities, NT555's wouldn't be a normal choice.

Norm

I was getting rid of the old 18 inch wheels which had the nitto's on them and going up to 20's is why I got rid of the nitto's. ive been through so many sets of tires from changing wheels basically.

if the nitto 305/35/20's didn't run around $350 and up each i'd have went that route cause I did like them but I could get the 4 MT's for about the price of 2 555's

it was about the $$$$

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
David,

I was glancing at your profile on here and saw that you are in Springfield, KY.

I am originally from Frankfort, KY. before and after coming back from Vietnam in 1966.

I then went to work for IBM in Lexington, KY. on New Circle Road in Lexington.

I was a top producer in the engraving dept. I worked in and had the opportunity to test and train for a Customer Engineering position.

That did work out and when interviewed by Branch Managers from other locations/States one of them was from Nashville, TN.

He asked me if I would relocate to Nashville and I accepted his offer.

So off to Nashville, TN. working for IBM in Nashville, TN. for many years.

Later I went into selling IBM equipment as well as many other top brands of office equipment and moved to Franklin, TN.

I think your Bright Yellow Mustang is going to look KILLER with the Yellow Lettering on those new M/T Street Comp tires. :beerchug2:

carlettrs_zps7874f244.jpg

Terry

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
I know exactly where the IBM office is your talking about Terry. I used to live right off Winchester road in Lexington when I worked at Toyota in Georgetown. like they say its a small world.

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
Rich,

Heck, we don't need to do PM's this is just a tire talking/discussing thread.

I did read your post a few times so I might answer what you wish to know.

Let me explain something.
Me being a much older fellow than probably the majority of people on here.
I wanted to run a name from back when I was driving the 60's & 70's Muscle Cars.
Mickey Thompson goes that far back in time so I took the time to check out their current product lines for Tires & Wheels.
I luv the M/T SC-5 wheels and decided what the heck might as well give their MT Street Comp tires a try also.
So I did both and they have and still are working just fine.
The wheels on my Highland Green (Dark Green to most people) Bullitt Mustang really look good.
I knew when I went with their wheels for the rear-end being 10.5" wide the 275/35-20" tires were to small for that wide of a wheel.
But I also knew there just was No-Way MT was not going to come out eventually with a wider rear tire in the 20".
So now I have the 305/35-20" for the rear-end and also the 275/35-20 for the front.

With all the above being said on my decision for wheels & tires.
Let me tell you what I think on tires for a Mustang that is not going to be Raced on a Drag-Strip [Frequently].
Or for that matter raced at Road Atlanta in that series.

The MT Street Comp tires look great.
They handle really well on the street.
You don't drive when it's raining but if you did happen to get caught in it the tires work very well.
Something else that I just thought of they balance out extremely well.
No SHAKING of the steering wheel at all !!!
They are quiet on a normal surface and I like that.
They are not some Super Expensive tire that can run a person $2,000.00 dollars for a set of four.
And in many-many cases those super High-Dollar tires have a Soft Tread Compound so the mileage for tread wear really "Sucks".
These have a tread wear rating of 300 so they do last awhile under normal driving conditions.
I also like the way the tread looks on them when they are dressed with the BLACK Satin tire dressing.

If I was not going to run the MT Street Comp tires I would go with the Continental DW (Dry/Wet) tires.
I also ran those for a great many years.
They have the same characteristics of the MT Street Comp tires.
(My opinion is the Continental DW are Stickier for Racing)

So Rich maybe I have answered and possibly been a little help in your next selection of tires. :hi:

BTW,
You can PM me any time if you wish to discuss things Off-Line.

Thanks dude! That is some good info. I'm not sure what you call an older guy, but I'm 53. I've ran some of the nice older cars as well. Loved my Cobra Jet Torino :beer:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know exactly where the IBM office is your talking about Terry. I used to live right off Winchester road in Lexington when I worked at Toyota in Georgetown. like they say its a small world.
David,

Talk about a small world.

My Niece and her husband are Line Managers at that Toyota Plant in Georgetown, KY.

Also my Mom was born in Georgetown, KY.

Thanks dude! That is some good info. I'm not sure what you call an older guy, but I'm 53. I've ran some of the nice older cars as well. Loved my Cobra Jet Torino :beer:
Richard,

Well I suppose one would not say you are young and I am at 69 so I sure ain't buddy. :hi:

LOL,
Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guys,

These are cell pics sent to me so not the best images.

Here is a picture of the Mickey Thompson Street Comp 305/35-20's.

I'm running the M/T 275/35-20's on the front.

Terry

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
They don't look much wider than the 275/35/20's

I have the cooper versions 275 all around .

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They don't look much wider than the 275/35/20's

I have the cooper versions 275 all around .

Here is a comparison pic of the 275/35-20 M/T and to the right the 305/35-20" M/T Street Comps.

The specs for the two are,

275/35-20" Tread Width is 9.7".

305/35-20" Tread Width is 10.6".

There is a lot of difference between the two tires if seen in person.

Terry

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
You're right, side by side it looks wider for sure, just by it self though it doesn't. I'm sure in person it looks good though!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're right, side by side it looks wider for sure, just by it self though it doesn't. I'm sure in person it looks good though!
Mario,

Your right when seeing it by itself in a picture it's hard to tell the actual size.

I had both the 275 and the 305 so I could see them side by side.
Not the picture I posted the new tires that were going on in the 275 & 305 sizes.
Then you could really tell the difference.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you lowered on anything? Do the rears rub at all?

Mario,

I have not seen mine in person yet so keep what I say in mind below.

I was running the Steeda Ultra-Lite springs Front & Rear.

But ..............

Had to change those in the rear to the UPR adjustable coil-over-kit.
That was necessary to be able to adjust the rear height from the top of the tires to the fender lips.
My understanding is they have now adjusted that distance to like 2-fingers from 3-fingers initially.
(I don't recall what George said that distance was in inches)
I have not talked with them since they further adjusted that rear clearance.

Keep in mind IMO you also need an adjustable Panhard-Bar.
So you can adjust your tires exactly Left & Right.

Also I do know from the driving they have done in it.
It drives very well as in ride quality.
They did mention that the rear UPR coil-overs are pretty stiff and don't give much.

That being the case they felt like they could lower it (REAR) just a bit more than what's seen in the above pics.
Simply because they don't feel like the rear-end is going to be bouncing up and down while driving.

Steeda Ultra-Lite Front Springs:

SteedaUltraLiteSprings2.jpg

Comparison of Steeda Ultra-Lite & Stock Front Springs:

SteedaUltraLiteSprings3.jpg

Picture of Front Steeda Ultra-Lite Spring installed:

SteedaUltraLiteSprings5.jpg

Terry

Dlford52

Reaction score
Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tire Review

Is anyone here running the relatively new street comp tires by Mickey Thompson?

I'm considering a set and wanted to see the positives or negatives anyone could share from experience.

For what it's worth, I was looking to purchase the Michelin pilot super sports, but apparently they are on national back order.

The wheels I got are 20" staggered Saleen speed stars (30 & 50mm offset)

I was considering 275-35-20 and 305-35-20. I do have LCA and a watts link, so I was thinking I could get away with the 305s, feel free to share if you have any experience with scrubbing using this size.

I don't want my tires to stick out beyond the fender, so let me know if you know whether or not they would, or if the rears would be to tall

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back