plasti dip beware

panama

forum member
Reaction score
I plasti dipped my rims to try out colors before I get them powdercoated, and when I went to pull the plasti off it took the paint off as well. Not all the paint but big sections, enough to make it look like total ass. Just watch out what you plasti, now I'm stuck until I powder them.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
I've only started pulling the plasti off one rim but they are Privat made by konig. I'll post up some pics.

Last edited:

1SickSaleen

Reaction score
Ah man that sucks. I have a small project in line as soon as I recieve my cans of plasti-dip. I had to order online, every home depot around is backordered. The wheels I plan to spray with plasti-dip are chrome.

Yours wheels were originally painted??

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
That has me a bit nervous as I plastidipped the factory rims just to see how a black rim setup would look on this car.
100711104844-1.jpg

panama

forum member
Reaction score
IMAG0114.jpg

I still have some plasti on the sides of the spokes but it pulled the powder coating off to like a chrome underneath

Last edited:

panama

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going back to plasti until I can powder them. This stuff is a pain to peel off lol. It pulled most of the paint off, just left a little of it on. Sucks started peeling it off and it was shiny on the plasti

panama

forum member
Reaction score
IMAG0116.jpg

This is what it looks like if it takes your finish, bad feeling right there.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
IMAG0117.jpg

If I hadn't of listened to my buddy and tried a red color I wouldn't have found this out. I think its chrome underneath. Why would a rim company paint on a shiny slick chrome surface is beyond me.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
After I stuck the bulitts back on I was messing around with this. If you spray some break cleaner on the plasti dip just goo's off. Going to try the chemical it says on the plasti can tomorrow after work.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lots of aftermarket rims are cheaply made and/or painted. All this does is verify that the Plasti Dip bonded better than the original paint.

I may spray my cheap-ass Race Stars today if I have time.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'd say thats a bad paint job issue rather than a plasti-dip issue.

YerBuddy

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone plasti stock wheels on a 2011+? I was thinking of doing this, but now not so sure...

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Anyone plasti stock wheels on a 2011+? I was thinking of doing this, but now not so sure...

The OP had a bad paint job onto which he applied plasti dip too.
lots of people do it fine on stock rims.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree looks like a poorly painted rim to begin with. Plasti only peels off smooth hard surfaces, not pourous surfaces or paint underneath it will bond.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back