Rebuilding...AGAIN! not sure if im doing it right

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
So today my engine finally gave out.... been kinda expecting it, but wasnt sure

it was a forged 298 in a teksid block with PP heads, comp stage 2 spr blower cams and a single turbo at 5 psi, made 440 rwhp and 480 trq

I got the longblock from someone else, only thhing i did was put the cams in, cams were on my stock engine before it threw a rod .... anyways I noticed the car had a noticable amount of BLOWBY on my new engine when i got it I had my valve covers vented to the atm, but since i just finished it up and got it tuned in november i decided to try to run it till summer with a catch can untill i could fix the problem... well at first the car was pretty nasty, but it slowly seemed like it got slower, and more and more blowby, the turbo would scream loud as hell but it wasnt pulling hard anymore and the gauge still showed it to be holding boost (gauge on intake manifold) last night idk what happened yet but blowby got INSANE :mad2: and the car didnt want to idle and had no power at all, got a check charging system light for some reason and it was cutting out like plugs got fouled, but i managed to get it home, pulled the turbo kit and valve covers only to find that the heads had a shit ton of oil sitting in the little valleys that didnt have holes and there was some oil on top of the intake vavles when i looked down in the heads after removing the intake....

the blowby was horrible lol im going to pull the engine down and figure out what happened to the rings or whatever and then rebuild it, it was stock bore so im hopeing it wont be alot maybe pistons rings and machine work but im gonna try to go back with this setup

same stroker kit dont know what bore yet
same heads PP
same comp stage 2 spr blower cams
76mm turbo
80lb injectors
duel gt500 pumps
wanna go 4r70

if anyone has any advice on anything better I should do let me know im open to all options my turbo kit is a modded on3 kit but im thinking of going s/c I would like to get into the 9s :helpme:

Last edited:

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
thanks man, hey if anyone konows where to buy bellhousings or torque converters for a th400 that will work with our car let me know Im weighing my options lol

GT RO

forum member
Reaction score
Get with Eric or Tommy at JPC racing .Ph. 1 866 572 7223 .Tell them Gerry sent you ( GTRO ) .Buy the way, I may have a tci th400 for sale with a SFI bell housing out of my low 9 sec. 3 valve turbo car .Not sure yet if Iam going to sell the converter though .

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
what are you asking for it and how much would a canverter run? I still may do a tr6060 swap idk yet...it was a 5r55, went 3650, and now need something stronger

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
If anyone has ring suggestions for turbo, I have no clue what rings to buy i want it to be like some of these other built guys and barly have teaspoons after 3000 miles

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
CP 9cc dish pistons in .020" overbore with CP file to fit moly ring set. Have the block bored/honed to fit the new pistons and put it back together with new bearings and billet oil pump gears after having it balanced.

Simple. Should be around $1700 or so.

GT RO

forum member
Reaction score
what are you asking for it and how much would a canverter run? I still may do a tr6060 swap idk yet...it was a 5r55, went 3650, and now need something stronger

ask Justin at JPC what would be a fair price . He will be able to give you a good price on a converter as well .

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks US-1... that helps alot so are the moly rings better than seamless? And how long does it usually take to seat... im always hearing horror stories on rings never seating

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I have -18cc dish Manleys that are 9:1 ... If I could do it over I would be at at 9:3-9:8 though since I think I'm going to E85 and one tune . What kind of boost are you going to run?

Last edited:

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
When i fix it im only going to run 8-10 untill i put some miles on it then bump it up ... i need a better fuel system cuz im on 39lb injectors and bap for now...it was wierd i raced my friends 408 stroker gto and walked it by a few cars... a few days later my car was dead even with him even on more boost and he did nothing.... i guess it was just filling the crankcase with pressure

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I got my TH350 and converter from Marco Abruzzi at Abruzzi racing. I have a JW bellhousing and flexplate. Marco's transmissions are awesome and he builds great converters. His prices are good too.

www.abruzziracing.com

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
[/B][/B][/B]

What kind of money did you spend... and whats your car run... i didnt see any boost in your sig lol

No boost, car only runs 13's right now. When I blew my TR6060, I decided to build for the future and get an auto. (I bracket race a lot).

I think with trans, converter, shifter, flexplate and bell, I have a little over $2g's into it.

Marco builds transmission for some of the best racers around. He also races what he builds.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks US-1... that helps alot so are the moly rings better than seamless? And how long does it usually take to seat... im always hearing horror stories on rings never seating

Perhaps you mean "stainless" ring sets. Stainless rings should only be used on race cars. Period. Proper way to seat a moly ring set is with varying loads on the engine during the first 30-45 minutes of run time. Easy way to do this is to obtain a "break-in" tune so the engine is safe to run until it can be put on a dyno. This will allow you to drive the car and vary the loads on the engine so the rings will seat properly.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back