Roadrace To Drag Race Project-Lend A Hand

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
There are companies that make carbon fiber tunnels and "claim" to shave off 75 lbs. I have never done one on the s197 so don't know but sounds like wishful thinking to lose 75lbs. If you had no interior it would be cool. That and rid the dash shit which is also heavy. Weight is the enemy, not your power. Light stuff is super expensive. When you said you shaved off 11 lbs on the r-spec manifold I about creamed my shorts... that is significant when you have done about everything else.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
There are companies that make carbon fiber tunnels and "claim" to shave off 75 lbs. I have never done one on the s197 so don't know but sounds like wishful thinking to lose 75lbs. If you had no interior it would be cool. That and rid the dash shit which is also heavy. Weight is the enemy, not your power. Light stuff is super expensive. When you said you shaved off 11 lbs on the r-spec manifold I about creamed my shorts... that is significant when you have done about everything else.

HaHa, I don't need any lessons in weight. I used to run gun drilled titanium fasteners on the motorcycles because everything else was already carbon! And I got down to 143lb at one point (I'm 6' tall). I even had lightweight leathers!

I'm looking at this whole weight thing. There will probably be a carbon hood and decklid in my future. Maybe carbon fenders too. When I have the car stripped down it is going to get the "treatment". If I can get it down to 3400# with me in it, IN STREET trim, I will be pretty happy.

I'm going to pretty much gut the interior. A Racepack dash, a defroster (so I can drive it when it's cold out and still see), some seats and a shifter. Maybe some buttons and switches.....little ones.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the hood on '05-09 cars aluminum already? I ask because some of the carbon fiber hoods for the '10+ are actually heavier than the stock one.

Could you use a Tiger Racing hood? That would also give you an advantage in aerodynamics.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the hood on '05-09 cars aluminum already? I ask because some of the carbon fiber hoods for the '10+ are actually heavier than the stock one.

Could you use a Tiger Racing hood? That would also give you an advantage in aerodynamics.

Are you sure? My carbon fiber hood, with a 4 inch cowl, weighs 7 lbs. Not kidding.

Tis true. It is much, much stronger though.

I'd much rather have 1/8" thick titanium tunnel.

But if you have a trans with an SFI case and bell, you don't need a strong tunnel (as long as you also have the appropriate driveshaft loops too). There was a racer somewhere where their arm got pretty messed up because a rotating driveshaft somehow made its way into the drivers compartment. That would really suck.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? My carbon fiber hood, with a 4 inch cowl, weighs 7 lbs. Not kidding.

Yeah, but the ones that are actually heavier are the "show" hoods that are made to look cool for hard parkers as opposed to being functional.

Gmitch knows better than to get one of those, I'm sure.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
6 foot 143 pounds with clothes......Holy fucking hell.

No, that was nekkid! My nick name at the track aside from "That phucking guy I can't beat" (j/k) was Skeletor, LOL!

I was one skinny mofo.

Yeah, but the ones that are actually heavier are the "show" hoods that are made to look cool for hard parkers as opposed to being functional.

Gmitch knows better than to get one of those, I'm sure.

This^^^^^ It would probably be a lift off CF hood. I'll put big louvers along the sides of the cowl for aero.

The Tiger hoods won't clear the 4.0L blower, so if I go that big I would need another hood. And I want to draw air for the blower through the back of the cowl.

Tis true. It is much, much stronger though.

I'd much rather have 1/8" thick titanium tunnel.

But if you have a trans with an SFI case and bell, you don't need a strong tunnel (as long as you also have the appropriate driveshaft loops too). There was a racer somewhere where their arm got pretty messed up because a rotating driveshaft somehow made its way into the drivers compartment. That would really suck.

This is what I was thinking. If the case and bell are "armor" and the DS loop(s) are correct in theory you don't need any cover at all. I've seen cars like that, I think it's crazy, but to each their own.

I'm thinking if an explosion of some sort makes it through the "armored" stuff it won't make any difference if it's Ti or aluminum.

Last edited:

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Mine weighs 7lbs also
ebudu5at.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All the shit that isn't on the car is going - I have removed zero items in a while. Car is in storage while I work on becoming a rich fuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back