Stand Alone ECU's

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is right having a hand held tuner and not being able to look at or change the tune and parameters set on your own car.

I know people with stand alone ECU's such as Hondata and AEM that laugh at me when I say I can't even look at my parameters. Is there a readily available, easy to install (ETC compatible) stand alone out there for the 4.6L 3V? Or are there any programs for hand held tuners that allow you to view and change parameters yourself?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is right having a hand held tuner and not being able to look at or change the tune and parameters set on your own car.

I know people with stand alone ECU's such as Hondata and AEM that laugh at me when I say I can't even look at my parameters. Is there a readily available, easy to install (ETC compatible) stand alone out there for the 4.6L 3V? Or are there any programs for hand held tuners that allow you to view and change parameters yourself?

If you really want to control your tune and see parameters why don't you get the SCT proracer package. You can blow up, ah, um, I mean tune your own car and always have access to it and change what ever you want.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you really want to control your tune and see parameters why don't you get the SCT proracer package. You can blow up, ah, um, I mean tune your own car and always have access to it and change what ever you want.

Believe me, I have no intentions of blowing up my car. I do however would like to know when my car is in danger of blowing up again.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha, just messing, but if you get the proracer package you should be able to get a gander at everything. A buddy of mine is going this route with his 99 cobra that he just put a built engine and S/C on. He is still having the local SCT tuner do the tune, but using his computer, hand held tuner and software.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I have the SCT pro racer package for one of my other Ford cars. It basically gives you access to almost everything you would need for tuning.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the pro package also and there are some thing you can't do with it but it is still a good investment. If you only want to see what everything is doing with your car you can data log almost all parameters with your SCT X-whatever.

Earl

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is more than just looking at what is going on. I want to be able to change parameters if need be. For example I want to be able to do things that a tuner might not do, like re-normalize my spark tables for more than 100% load and reorganize my fuel tables were they "raped"...

Oh, and maybe keep my knock sensors turned on at WOT...

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are going to get the Racers package you need to talk to your tuner and see if he will give you your tune in an .mtf format file. This is the only file type you can do anything with. Most tuners will not give you the mtf file because they don't want you to be able to give it to someone else but if you are working with a local tuner he probably will.

Earl

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
If you are going to get the Racers package you need to talk to your tuner and see if he will give you your tune in an .mtf format file. This is the only file type you can do anything with. Most tuners will not give you the mtf file because they don't want you to be able to give it to someone else but if you are working with a local tuner he probably will.

Correct. Some tuners will email .mtf files but charge you for it if they know you have the SCT Pro-Racer software package. It also helps to of bought the package from them. ;)

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score
PRP is better than stand alone systems if your making less than 1k RWHP.

Stick with ford stuff till ur making serious power.

-Matt

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of your posts lately Explicit and I think you are making this too complicated. Once the car is back together, call Eric Brooks and dicuss tuning from a remote location. Eric successfully tuned a 660whp car in Winnipeg than runs on 91 pump gas while in Georgia. They make a pull, send the datalogs to Eric, and he sends back a tune to load in the car, rinse and repeat until the tune is satisfactory. At least you can be assured that it is tuned by one of the most knowledgeable people around.

Or if you can find enough interested people, organize to fly him up. I really wish I'd got involved in bringing him to Winnipeg this past summer.

Last edited:

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im not making this complicated, I am just checking my options, doing research. I obviously never did enough of that last time.You see, my problem is that I am 500kms from the nearest dyno. Then I will have to call someone who is 2000kms away to tune my car. Or I can go to someone who is capable of tuning my car who is 600 to 800kms away and hope it does not blow up a week after. Not many options.I need to get my car dyno tuned and make (Tuner recommended) changes on my own, not make a 1700km round trip everytime I change something like injectors.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get the racers package and you will need a good wideband gauge. Eric can then tune your car from data logs you don't have to have a dyno to get it very close. You make a data log of the parameters Eric wants and send it to him, he will then send you a corrected file to try. He can even tell you what to change, you can make the changes yourself and see the results without going back and forth so much.

Without a dyno close by or a reputable tuner that knows these cars I would definitely get the package and do the tuning with Eric.

Earl

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is probably what I will end up doing if he is up for that. I guess I will have to get in contact with him come Spring.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let me make this short and sweet. The ONLY standalone system compatible with the 3V is the Big Stuff 3. Let's just forget about the over 5 grand it's going to cost you when it's all said and done and just concentrate on the fact that even that one which is 'compatible' is in no way shape or form ready to roll out of the box. It requires some complex modifications that to date, only 3 people in the world have done. (Burcham, Ken @ MD, and myself)

It's extremely complicated to say the least although it is awesome when it's done.

Bottom line - unless you NEED it for 1000+ HP, forget it and stick to a tuner package...:chairfall:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I know people with stand alone ECU's such as Hondata and AEM that laugh at me when I say I can't even look at my parameters.

Let them laugh. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE AN AEM ON YOUR CAR! Biggest pile of shit on the market.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back