started my cams tonight

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Started installing my cams tonight after work. Got the covers an plugs out. Started on the followers, but decided to call it a night and start fresh in the morning. I'll be sure to post pics of the valve spring installation as I get there tomorrow. I was pretty nervous but once you get into its not that bad.....yet.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Yup the 127300. I bought them from Bruce almost a year ago, finally got time and all the parts.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the progress and post up some pics if you have any. I have been thinking about the Hot Rod cams, but like you, I have been a little nervous about doing it myself.

Good luck!

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Just pulled all the followers, about to swap springs. Hold on for pics. If your at tdc you can't drop valve can you if your air goes out? There doesn't seen much clearance at all ptv wise.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
I would need three hands for a video. I'll try to get a vid of the valve spring once I get a helper here. I was wanting to see one of those before I did this. I thought about one of the followers because they seem tricky but there not too bad. The exhaust side is a bitch though.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

this is all setting the tool up. Once you compress the spring, you use a magnet to pull the follower out. It's pretty easy once you do it, but on the one I was trying to photograph it slipped and wedged. I figured I better pay more attention to my task at that point.....

panama

forum member
Reaction score
btw the Freedom tool rocks. A little tricky to get in on #7 but not impossible. I'll put a follower back in and video on second thought. Once your doing it, it really makes more sense than when you are just looking at it.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/OgIqvx9yKZ8

Here is the removal of a valve spring. I'm really tired so it's not the best video in the world. I had a horrible time finding an air fitting for the new head design spark plug and that can stress you out quite a bit when your motors open. My girl filmed it on her ipad and it didn't rotate the best way but hope ya'll enjoy. If you want any specific pictures of anything while it's open, let me know.

Last edited:

panama

forum member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/_CzyUpuNEhg

Here is the installation of the new spring. It's not oriented correctly I know, but my girl would cut me if I tried to get here to do a second one. If I can get a helper tomorrow I'll try to get a bigger video. Not much room in there though to record and work.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Valve springs are finished. They are not for the mechanical challenged by any means. Took some good pics though, will post later. Have a day set aside for that part alone.

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh to be young.... I spent several days changing my springs. I could do 3 to 6 springs before my back started screaming and I had to take a break.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Man I turned 30 two weeks ago. I now know what it feels like to be at least sixty lol. It was getting ridiculous towards the end. It'll all be worth it when I start that beast up tomorrow if the cams go in smoothly. I can see the finish line but it feels so far away.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
So here is a bare valve stem after you remove the old spring and seal.
IMAG0400.jpg

New valve stem seals from Livernois. Much much tighter than the oem. Couldn't get to two exhaust ones though......Use a socket to push it down over the valve. If they make a special tool to remove these, buy it. I used multiple types of needle nose pliers. FML
IMAG0401.jpg

Valve spring
IMAG0402.jpg

Retainer
IMAG0403.jpg

Setting up the tool and compressing to expose grooves in the valve.
IMAG0404.jpg

One keeper on.....these little guys are tough. Tiny and small. Buy extra. I lost one on the k member somewhere and one shot off under the intake. If they are not aligned correctly or you release the tool to quick, they become airborne.
IMAG0405.jpg

Both Keepers on and pressed together. Put a dab of grease and use a magnetic tipped screwdriver to put them on. Some of the valves won't compress far enough. You'll spend two to twenty minutes on these alone. Keep a bottle of patience and od on it.
IMAG0406.jpg

You can see an already done and the one that is about to be finished next to each other. The exhaust are truly the hard ones. Gravity is not your friend. The upside is the set screw on the tool is exposed which is awesome.

Last edited:

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Cams are finished. Back hurts like no other. Ran it for twenty and letting the motor cool to heat set the valve springs. Going to take it for a gentle spin later. There is a crappy bid on YouTube but I can't link it from my phone but you can see from my other links.

Peace.

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
Hope all the work is worth it when you put your foot into it. I just spent the day putting new valves in on my dirt bike, looks a little familiar haha.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Luckily I didn't lose anything down low, that or I can't feel it with the 4.10s. It screams up top, can't wait for long tubes to help it out that much more. It was all worth it for the idle, almost wish it had more lope, but it just sounds mean. Like angry, definitely not stock. I'll try to get a decent vid up once I can get a good camera. I guess anytime I do work on the car it I've got a mixed feeling about it while doing it, messing with something not broken, but that quickly changes :)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back