Those that paid a shop for a shock/strut/spring install

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I know do it myself... Yada yada . I work a ton of hours so don't have the time to install myself... What did the shop you had them install them at charge? And was the cost including the alignment ? Thanks for those who answer

tehdixie

the empire business
Reaction score
You're looking at 3-5 hours at what their hourly rate is (most shops these days are $70-100/hr) plus the alignment.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I think it was $200 (I had other things done at the same time). No alignment as the shop didn't have the tools.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Unless you buy camber bolts or adjustable mounts there isn't really any adjustment on the camber.

tehdixie

the empire business
Reaction score
Unless you buy camber bolts or adjustable mounts there isn't really any adjustment on the camber.

You can install the struts backwards and get a degree or two out of it. (Alignment arrow pointing opposite of how it should)

But yeah, every lowered s197 needs camber bolts and an adjustable PHB minimum. Preferably also ball joints, camber plates,, bump steer kit and adjustable UCA too IMO.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
You can install the struts backwards and get a degree or two out of it. (Alignment arrow pointing opposite of how it should)

Wonder if a shop would do that or would they worry about liability?

OP. The backs are super easy to swap in if you're looking to save some money.

Last edited:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score

But yeah, every lowered s197 needs camber bolts and an adjustable PHB minimum. Preferably also ball joints, camber plates,, bump steer kit and adjustable UCA too IMO.

Well, yes and no. Depends on how low. I didn't need camber bolts with my 1 inch drop. There was still enough room to get a proper alignment but I couldn't go any further. The pan hard definitely. Personally, and I didn't do it, but it's not a bad idea to throw the GT500 strut mount on at the same time. I've never had the popping problem with mine but again, that's only 1 inch.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I did the GT500 strut mounts and turned them 180 degrees with FRPP K springs (1.5" drop) and no adjustment was needed...

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm doing the install myself this weekend hopefully. Mechanic was going to charge me $180 to do the shocks/struts/MM plates. Without an alignment

I bought the spring compressor at harbor freight for $10 to try it myself

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
If you are replacing both the springs and struts you can pre-assemble them. No compressor is needed. I got a loaner from Auto Zone, but ended up not using it.
Just put a floor jack under the front suspension and relieve the pressure, then remove the fasteners and ease it down. Install the new set in reverse order. I'll try to find a write up and link it.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
You can do it. I did my shocks/struts, springs, and PHB on jack stands. I was able to borrow a friends shop space and tools (they have several big rigs so no lift, just a pit).
Just read all the reviews you can and BE SURE TO TORQUE EVERYTHING PROPERLY!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
StrangeStruts.jpg:original

I am putting mine in this weekend coming up.

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
I've done it myself 3 times.. Takes around 2 hours total

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm starting mine tomorrow morning along with the MM plates. Never tried it and figure I'd try it now since my wife is in Nashville for work til Thursday and I can use her SUV in case I get stuck or need something while I work on my car.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok I put them in, wasn't that bad at all. Just borrowed the neighbors spring compressor. Lets see what difference these bad boys make at the track this weekend.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I put them in, wasn't that bad at all. Just borrowed the neighbors spring compressor. Lets see what difference these bad boys make at the track this weekend.

I gots me some Strange too!! :clap: First thing I did was add some red paint to the center slot spot on the adjustment knob so I could read it clearly just looking under the car. I cant say they made my car any faster but it certainly is more consistent and since I bracket race, I'm happy.

If you have a impact gun the spring compressor part goes much quicker than a ratchet. I've done the install twice, its not difficult at all if you have the tools.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back