Whipple 4.0L Dyno Results on the Lethal Performance 2010 GT500

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Are you running sportline springs? And what 2 step are you guys using?

Yes we're running Sportline springs. We're also using the MSD 2-step.

We just put in some QA1 double adj. shocks and made a few other changes so we'll see how it works next time out. If it's still too bouncy in the rear we'll have to go with another spring.

Jared

stanglifemike

aka boostedbanana
Reaction score
Very nice build guys!!!! That colot combo is just GORGEOUS too. Looking forward to some solid track #'s, hope it all goes good

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well after a long week and a lot of support from all of our friends Jake@Power By The Hour got a chance to check the car out. We did a leakdown and compression test and the motor passed with flying colors. The plugs were swapped, a new alternator was put on the car and we made a few other tweaks. We also believe we figured out why the car was acting the way it did last time at the track.

None the less we'll be picking up the car tomorrow and throw it on the dyno at UPR just to make sure it's all good. Then it's off to the track.

Thanks to everyone for their support. Jon L., Jeremy@UPR (Huge Thanks), Al Papitto and Jake@Power By The Hour.

Hopefully things work out well tomorrow and we can post some new times.

Jared

Jared,

can you tell us where the water was going from the overflow tank ? If there wasnt a had gasket leak where would it go unless you had a leak somewhere ?

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Jared,

can you tell us where the water was going from the overflow tank ? If there wasnt a had gasket leak where would it go unless you had a leak somewhere ?

Come to find out there was loss of coolant. The car was put together and barely driven before going to the dyno. At the dyno the coolant tank was full. It was never checked after that until we took it to the track. It must have been an air pocket either in the motor or somewhere else in the coolant system that finally made it's way out. However it wasn't noticed until that day at the track because no one checked the tank level until then.

We'll be at the track this Wednesday. I'll report back then.

Jared

HARLEYDEALER

Reaction score
Come to find out there was loss of coolant. The car was put together and barely driven before going to the dyno. At the dyno the coolant tank was full. It was never checked after that until we took it to the track. It must have been an air pocket either in the motor or somewhere else in the coolant system that finally made it's way out. However it wasn't noticed until that day at the track because no one checked the tank level until then.

We'll be at the track this Wednesday. I'll report back then.

Jared
Jared, I had to top my tank off several times after my build, it took several days to level out. Merry Christmas to you and good luck you lucky dog, our track here in St. Louis closed in October, so we won't know what we have till spring. Bill

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Jared, I had to top my tank off several times after my build, it took several days to level out. Merry Christmas to you and good luck you lucky dog, our track here in St. Louis closed in October, so we won't know what we have till spring. Bill

Merry Christmas to you as well Bill. Unfortunately we didn't make it out today as the track was closed. They don't reopen until after the new year but as soon as they do we'll be there. We put the car back on the dyno the other night and picked up some more power with a little fine tuning from Jon. The cars power continues to climb even after 7400rpms. I'll have Christy scan the graph. It's quite impressive. We're going to be shifting at 7200-7300 next time out. Last outing Jeremy was shifting closer to 6800. We expect to see major improvements in our ET's with the changes we made. Still running the 4" upper making 21.5psi.

Jared

GI Joe

Reaction score
Congrats on great looking and performing car...now go out and run a 9X

Jared..What width tire is that on the rear?

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats on great looking and performing car...now go out and run a 9X

Jared..What width tire is that on the rear?

Thanks Dave. We're pretty confident that next time out we'll run a lot stronger. We re dyno'd the car pulling it a little higher in the rpm range. The power never stops falling off so we're going to be shifting at 7200-7300 instead of 6800 like we were before. It should make a huge difference.

10.5" on the rea tires.

We'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Shifting at 7300 that's sick! nice build man, and a hell of a good shifter.

MARZ

Reaction score
779 horsepower at 21 pounds of boost on a Mustang dyno seems pretty much in-line to what others are making.

For comparison, I'll quote a couple of articles highlighting the new KB 3.6L.

In a test conducted by Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords on a Shelby GT500 SS http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1002_kenne_bell_3_6l_twin_screw/index.html

At 15 PSI
KB 2.8L - 643 HP / 552 TQ on Dynojet
KB 3.6L - 674 HP / 570 TQ on Dynojet

Using the same pulley (3.25-Inch) KB 2.8L vs 3.6L
KB 2.8L - 619 HP / 528 TQ on Dynojet
KB 3.6L - 774 HP / 678 TQ on Dynojet

At 23 PSI
KB 2.8L - 746 HP / 670 TQ on Dynojet
KB 3.6L - 832 HP / 727 TQ on Dynojet

Also interesting, according to Mustang 5.0 Magazine, is the fact that the 3.6L supercharger, even with its liquid-cooling, featured higher temperatures than its 2.8L counterpart, devoid of LQ.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...kenne_bell_twin_screw_supercharger/index.html

I'm not sure what 779 Mustang Dyno horsepower equates to on a Dynojet but, again, those numbers at 21 PSI for the 4.0L Whipple seem to be pretty much in-line to what the 3.6L LQ KB makes at 23 PSI. I'm also curious as to what kind of torque the 4.0L made during Lethal's dyno run.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of voodoo Jon Lund and the folks at Evolution Performance are into, but for the sake of comparison:

Evolution's KB 2.8L @ 22.5 pounds of boost
858 horsepower
801 lb-ft torque

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=839

Evolution's Whipple 3.4L @ 20 pounds of boost
822 horsepower
837 lb-ft torque

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=815

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I looked over this thread.... Jared is making very valid points and all you guys can't passed what other people are making on other dyno's with a lesser blower blah blah blah. Like Jared said et's are what matters I know when I slap my gt500 long block in my car I will be putting a 4.0 whipple on it. Im tired of hear " my buddy's car made XXX hp and ran 2 seconds slower then it should... also don't just look at peak hp numbers because who gives a dam? It's all in the set up and this car has it going on. I can't wait till these guys really start pumping out more boost out of this 4.0.

Jared I fought that same bouncing issue with my car and sportlines... even with the qa1's it didn't solve it. Change the springs and the car is a differn't animal.

Ps- for all you guys NOT impressed if you can do better.. go for it.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
This is the first time I looked over this thread.... Jared is making very valid points and all you guys can't passed what other people are making on other dyno's with a lesser blower blah blah blah. Like Jared said et's are what matters I know when I slap my gt500 long block in my car I will be putting a 4.0 whipple on it. Im tired of hear " my buddy's car made XXX hp and ran 2 seconds slower then it should... also don't just look at peak hp numbers because who gives a dam? It's all in the set up and this car has it going on. I can't wait till these guys really start pumping out more boost out of this 4.0.

Jared I fought that same bouncing issue with my car and sportlines... even with the qa1's it didn't solve it. Change the springs and the car is a differn't animal.

:allhail:

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks Matt. It's good to see someone else that knows dyno numbers mean squat especially when you're not comparing the data from the same dyno, same day, same conditions. FWIW we have been back the dyno since and made more power with the same setup however I'm not even going to post the numbers because they mean nothing. What matters is ET. Tonight we cracked off a [email protected] with the car going sideways in 2nd gear. We trapped 114mph in the 1/8th. That's with the same 4" upper pulley, C16 and still no Methanol. Now for those that still want to argue about dyno numbers I put up the challenge for them to go and match those times first and then we'll talk. For now we're gonna work towards making it in the 8's with the 6 speed.

Speak to you soon.

Jared

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
You cant hide from the MPH Dam.. thats moving. NICE JOB. Dyno #'s mean squat. time slips tell the story for all the haters out there! :laughlots:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back