127500s for turbo?

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
i need some feedback i will be going with a single turbo kit and currently have the 127500 comp cams low miles. would these work for turbo or should i go back with stock or different ones. also which mass air should i go with pmas HPX or the ba5000 sct

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I camt speak for the cams with a turbo. However, My friends car is an 06 with THP single turbo kit. It uses a BA 5000 and runs like stock.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I would think the 127500's would work fine, the 127350's I am running work fine with my single 76mm turbo, they are probably not optimum but they work. I have a BA 5000 maf works great.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
You could set the timing chains one tooth of to retard the cams some since you are locked out. Or buy some adjustable timing gears. I would swap out the lockouts for limiters though if I were you. I am only running lockouts because I had to with the valve springs i chose. When I had those cams(locked out full advance) the power peaked then started to fall off at about 4000rpm.

Start at page 21, post 401 of my build thread to see my results with those cams.

I am running an HPX MAF, numbers are in my sig. It has worked up to just over 20lbs of boost. S&H sells them for a pretty decent price.

Last edited:

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
COMP 127500's work great in my turbo motor. Sound great at idle and run strong up top.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
It is a lot better when people actually give little more info than just "they work great".

Niner555, is your VCT locked out? How much boost have you ran with the cams.

The guy is trying to get feedback, so a more detailed post would probably be more benefical to him

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
yes please.... i talked to my tuner and he said to keep them but still want feedback on others that have used them in the past thanks

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My cams are basically the 127500's but ground on a 115 LSA so they are more turbo friendly. I run them with Livernois springs and limiters. What springs are you running. I have the Livernois because they told me they would work fine with the lift on these cams and their limiters.

Your 127500's will work well, they just aren't the best for a turbo with the 112 LSA. I would recommend running the limiters to get the most from these cams, or as mentioned, retard them on install.

Earl

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
I use the COMP limiters with my 127500 cams. I would not lock-out the phasers if using a lower load spring like the COMP #26113 valve springs, which I use. If running higher load springs, then locking out the phasers may be a good idea. I have run up to 12psi on my particular engine and it has run well at those boost levels.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My cams are basically the 127500's but ground on a 115 LSA so they are more turbo friendly. I run them with Livernois springs and limiters. What springs are you running. I have the Livernois because they told me they would work fine with the lift on these cams and their limiters.

Your 127500's will work well, they just aren't the best for a turbo with the 112 LSA. I would recommend running the limiters to get the most from these cams, or as mentioned, retard them on install.

Earl

This.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
the limiters definetly help with the 500s. I am using trickflow springs so i had to run lockouts.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Can I add an additional angle to this thread?

What would be an optimum cam to run with boost?

What cam would give me a pronounced lobyness, but still be appropriate for boost?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
^Depends on a laundry list of things. One cam for one car will/may not work on another

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like Josh said a turbo specific cam will vary greatly depending on your setup since its a load based power adder. In general though turbos work great with stock cams or wide lsa cams with some more lift and less duration.

Edit I see you said boost in general. Different power adders respond differently to different cams. So what type of boost are you talking about.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Can I add an additional angle to this thread?

What would be an optimum cam to run with boost?

What cam would give me a pronounced lobyness, but still be appropriate for boost?

I think the 127550 sound nice. They are proven power makers with boost.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Exactly Jeremy, I can't assume he is talking about a turbo car also. There are way too many unknowns in his question.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I think the 127550 sound nice. They are proven power makers with boost.

I was going to have L&M grind me a set of cams.. but now I am really leaning towards the 127550's for that very reason. If I have some weird power curve or something I will look into custom cams.. but till then I think I may just go for the 127550's and use the lockouts, and 125 springs.. Billy and several others are on to this and had good results with that setup. Adjustable crank gears are the way to go no matter what imo..

As mentioned, no way to really know based on variance in setups are all over the board here.. that would be the true advantage of having a custom cam but even then.. someone is still guessing when they build the cam (granted it is a very good educated guess lol). IMO,, unless you have data nobody can build an "optimized" cam without trial and error for each particular build but that can get expensive real quick.. And then again, you are not running a 500 mile endurance race where seconds/lap are critical either

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW here is the Livernois cam chart. Notice that all of these grinds are based on a shelf comp design. Usually there is a small change like lsa. For instance the stage 3 supercharger cams are the same specs as 127500 but with 113lsa.

I've read that the stock cams are 117 lsa but that information was incorrect. It was on a crower website. When the stock values are entered into a cam calculator they come out as 114 lsa. Stock cams seem to work well with a turbo, maybe that's why the chart has 114 lsa for the turbo cams?

Product Description

3vcamsnonotes-1-.jpg

Another FWIW. I'm running a set of the stage 3 supercharger cams but the intake centerline has been changed to 108 which is where the livernois shelf cams would be with 6 degrees of retard. My cams are installed locked out.

They work great and I don't notice any loss on the bottom end. I'm mentioning this for the guy who is putting cams into his na motor but thinks he will add boost later on. I'm also using 26113 springs which are technically not stiff enough but I've taken the motor as high as 7400 rpm and not had issues.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
i am running the livernois springs also as they stated they would work with my cams so then i should get limiters and go with it or lock out and retard

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back