2014 GT - My Newest Project (As if I needed another one)!

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
So at this time the car has had the cats removed and an airaid cai. Appears to be stock other than that.
Just with the cats removed it is loud as hell! I’d like to quiet it down a lot!

I assume it’s been tuned, but have no way of knowing at this time. Has a light on the dash for the traction control and the advance trac or whatever it’s called. But no other warnings. I haven’t scanned it yet to see if there are any codes.

Took it for a short drive tonight. It runs strong, no noises, no smoke(except off the the tires).

More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I was able to save the OTA pipe. Amazing what you can do with a port-a-power and a little heat!

I removed the mufflers and used body hammers to correct the dented tips. Did a little smoothing with a sanding disc and re-polished. Almost can’t tell they were damaged.

Needs exhaust gaskets between the headers and mid pipe.

Ordered taillights off eBay. Ended up right at $600 including tax & shipping.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Those little flat exhaust gaskets should be easily found. Good to hear you got a good deal on those taillights. Awesome that you could fix the other stuff.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Those little flat exhaust gaskets should be easily found. Good to hear you got a good deal on those taillights. Awesome that you could fix the other stuff.

Now the hunt is on for some body parts. I’ve found a dismantler a few hours away that has a black 2014 in stock. I’m going to try to get all the body parts, bumper cover, right front fender, etc. from them. Would save a lot of work and $$ on paint and body work.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
2d1ea912eb7bf145b2bcbc71e4953690.jpg

Well that definitely answers that question!

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Never really paid much attention to the amount of difference between the OG S197 and the refresh. Only minor suspension differences, but the outer skin and interiors are way different.
9ebe603c921d55b91dfc0cc4bac70b1a.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
One of the things that I hate about the 5.0 Coyote is the obnoxious popping of the exhaust when aftermarket exhaust is installed.

The control pac based tunes do not "popcorn". Infact, my car sounds way different vs oem tune.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
The control pac based tunes do not "popcorn". Infact, my car sounds way different vs oem tune.

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you are saying here, but IMO every 5.0 Coyote that I have been around that had a tune and/or aftermarket exhaust just sounds like dog shit! Hope I don’t offend anyone, but that’s my opinion! Prove me wrong please! Because I really don’t like the way these cars sound and I hope I can make this one sound good. Or I may just put it back to stock.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you are saying here, but IMO every 5.0 Coyote that I have been around that had a tune and/or aftermarket exhaust just sounds like dog shit! Hope I don’t offend anyone, but that’s my opinion! Prove me wrong please! Because I really don’t like the way these cars sound and I hope I can make this one sound good. Or I may just put it back to stock.

Agreed that the Coyote does not have the best tone...especially with certain aftermarket applications. Ford changed the firing order when they designed the Coyote for 2011 to the same used on the old Flat head V-8's back in the early days. Thus the main reason for the tone change aside from revving way higher than your average push rod engine or mod setup through 3V.

I personally can't stand the sound of them when guys run X-pipes, with Corsa, Roush, or Borla exhaust. Sounds like a ticked off woman from Queens, NY screaming her lungs out through her nose. I hate that raspy trumpety sound. I stick with H-pipe setups and prefer running catless with GT500 exhaust or running cats with AWE exhaust. Both give a deeper sound with little to no drone at all. Doesn't make it sound like a classic Mustang 2010 or older, but IMHO it helps. That all said I have no plans to revert to an SOHC or pushrod setup any time soon. I'll keep my Coyote.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Agreed that the Coyote does not have the best tone...especially with certain aftermarket applications. Ford changed the firing order when they designed the Coyote for 2011 to the same used on the old Flat head V-8's back in the early days. Thus the main reason for the tone change aside from revving way higher than your average push rod engine or mod setup through 3V.

I personally can't stand the sound of them when guys run X-pipes, with Corsa, Roush, or Borla exhaust. Sounds like a ticked off woman from Queens, NY screaming her lungs out through her nose. I hate that raspy trumpety sound. I stick with H-pipe setups and prefer running catless with GT500 exhaust or running cats with AWE exhaust. Both give a deeper sound with little to no drone at all. Doesn't make it sound like a classic Mustang 2010 or older, but IMHO it helps. That all said I have no plans to revert to an SOHC or pushrod setup any time soon. I'll keep my Coyote.

Yeah I do like the way it runs though! Sound, meh. Mine has an X pipe but it looks factory, with the cats cut out. It don’t have a terrible rasp, just loud! I’d like to quiet down just a bit.

I just wondering if mid pipe mufflers would sound better on these engines than the axle back muffler. Something to ponder and maybe try down the road.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You can make a huge difference in the sound of your Coyote if you get rid of the crossover. Run dual exhaust with no X or H crossover will get rid of the busy little motor sound.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
You can make a huge difference in the sound of your Coyote if you get rid of the crossover. Run dual exhaust with no X or H crossover will get rid of the busy little motor sound.

Really? All these years we’ve been putting H-pipes in the exhaust to slow down the exhaust pulses. Now your telling me the Coyote needs them run straight out instead of having a crossover. That’s interesting.

Sounds like a nice experiment when I get the time.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

Running a V8 engine without an exhaust crossover isn't a good idea. A crossplane crank V8 has uneven firing intervals on each bank so while running without a crossover will produce more old school rumble, it'll impair performance 'cause exhaust gas pulses will become "stacked up" inside each down pipe instead of being scavenged efficiently.
A well designed X-pipe provides the best scavenging since it'll provide an easy route for exhaust gases from each downpipe to either continue flowing on the same side or cross over to the other side.
If you don't want the rasp, just run chambered mufflers instead of straight-through units. It's also a good idea to retain the cats both for emissions purposes and to dampen the sound. Ditching the cats for the sake of gaining 5-6hp isn't worth it unless your car is never driven on public roads.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Run it with no crossover, and you will lose tq all right. Try it if you don't believe us.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I do like the way it runs though! Sound, meh. Mine has an X pipe but it looks factory, with the cats cut out. It don’t have a terrible rasp, just loud! I’d like to quiet down just a bit.

I just wondering if mid pipe mufflers would sound better on these engines than the axle back muffler. Something to ponder and maybe try down the road.

i ran the solo system on my 17gt fi setup. that was a mid muffler design. system sounded very nice. it was the quietest they offer and their no drone tech worked almost as well as awe exhaust does.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Run it with no crossover, and you will lose tq all right. Try it if you don't believe us.

I would really think it would affect high end HP more than torque down low.

And this thing has torque like a tractor, lol!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back