4.6L 3V Build

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
In preparation for initial startup I staged a large fan in front of the radiator.
100_1243.jpg

Then commenced with the startup. Cycled the key several times to fill the fuel rails. Engine cranked for about 4 to 5 seconds and started right up. Lash adjusters rattled for about 2 to 3 seconds and quieted right down. Within 30 seconds all the air had worked itself out of the fuel rails and engine was running smoothly on all 8 cylinders. Here's a couple of pics at idle at about the 5 minute mark. Fuel pressure was 25 to 25 psi, water temp. 135* and oil pressure 75 psi.
100_1244.jpg

No CEL or wrench light, idling at about 750 RPM
100_1246.jpg

After about 20 minutes of varying throttle position (still no load) oil pressure is 20 psi @ idle (750 RPM), coolant temp 200* and fuel pressure 22 psi. JDM has the low speed cooling fan set to come on @ 200*. Engine idles with 17" of vacuum and has a 14.7 AFR. No leaks, unusual noises, blowby or unusual exhaust emissions.
100_1249.jpg

Shut the engine down to let it cool off to perform initial oil change. Checked for DTCs - none
100_1251.jpg

Even A/C still blows cold

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Drained the oil into a clean container and cut the filter open with a filter cutter. Here's a picture of the filter media (unfiltered side) and magnetic drain plug
100_1252.jpg

Strained the oil through a paint strainer to check for non ferrous particles
100_1254.jpg

wiped the bottom of the drain pan with a white lint free cloth
100_1253.jpg

Refilled crankcase with 6 qts of Valvoline VR1 10W-30 oil and reinstalled an OEM filter
100_1255.jpg

Boozshey

Reaction score
sweet. I will be bring my block over for you to start all over... hehe

I gotta say though, you took your time and it shows, that's awesome!!!

Boozshey

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I was told that 20psi is not a normal idle oil pressure... But I'm not expert by any means...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I was told that 20psi is not a normal idle oil pressure

I spoke to JDM about the low idle oil pressure and 20 psi at operating temperature is perfectly normal. This is also the exact same oil pressure my OEM stock long block carried at idle. When I tore the stock long block down, the rod & main bearings looked like they had never even been in a running engine.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Cool, well that's good to know then. Cause this last engine never got below 25 except when it would turn off... :/

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
what oil pump are you using? mine is around 30-35 at warm idle.....i have a warning light come on if it ever dips below 20. mine is 90-95 @ cold idle. this is with a SVT oil pump.im using a aeroforce electronic sensor (GM part) .......

congrats on the start up!!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
what oil pump are you using? mine is around 30-35 at warm idle.....

He also has modified the oil passage from the pump to the filter housing. Smoother and slightly larger which will "show" a lower pressure reading but is actually allowing for more volume and smoother flow.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This is also an electric gauge not a mechanical gauge. Hot low idle oil pressure with this engine is exactly the same as with the previous OEM long block. The GT 500 oil pump is the exact same oil pump as a stock 3V oil pump with the exception of the relief valve plug is longer which has no affect on low RPM oil pressure. Even the TSS oil pump gear doesn't improve oil pressure.

Since bearing clearances are slightly wider on this engine I would expect oil pressure to have been lower than the OEM long block.

If oil pressure were an issue I'm sure I would have seen evidence of abnormal debris in the filter. That's why I called JDM just to confirm.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Ford's spec for 3V is 75psi@2000rpm (if memory serves me), with that SVT pump you would see a little more than that.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
So what's the status? Any miles yet?

Nope no miles yet - still on stands in the garage. I'm not done eye fucking it yet. I may go and purchase a manual oil pressure gauge and recheck oil pressure again.

he just started it.....3 more weeks until he puts it in drive.....:roflmao:

at least...:thumb2:

May be more!!

When I originally started this project I dropped the insurance and turned in the tag. I'll work on getting that issue resolved in the next week.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back