Big Bore Boss build

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
what was the clearance between the oil pump pickup tube and oil pan?

Didn't check. The pickup tube is sized for the pan and comes with it. The pan is sized for a Modular motor, fits perfect. The new pickup tube is almost identical to the stock tube and the pan is almost identical in height to the stock one. The new pickup tube looks to be bent a little different and just a little bit deeper. It isn't binding on the bottom. I'm also using a 2013 GT500 pump with a 3v pressure spring.

Did you have issues with your Moroso pan, the windage tray, and the pickup tube? I seem to remember you swapped it out around Christmas time and there were fitment issues with the K member too? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I've decided to put the motor in tomorrow after work. Everything that can be prepared is prepared right now. I even unbolted the steering rack and disconnected the steering shaft. I can't put the flywheel or clutch on until the motor is off of the stand, there just isn't enough room for it to fit. All I have to do is get the motor bolted to the motor mounts and transmission. I'm hoping the oil pan doesn't have any clearance issues.

Edit: Thanks for the compliments guys. This is the first motor I've put together that had some bling parts, lol.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It was a Canton pan and yes I had issues - almost cost me a motor.

I check them all now.

That's what it was, the windage tray. Glad you figured it out before anything bad happened. So far Ford parts have done me well. The pump, pickup tube, pan, and windage tray/gasket are all production parts on the 2013/14 GT500. I'm not sure how well I like having 8.5 quarts of oil. As long as it stays na I'll probably just run Motorcraft blend after it's broken in. Or wait for Costco to put M1 on sale buy one get one free. They do that about this time of year every year.

The oil pump is even cast with 3v in the housing just like a 3v pump. I took it apart along with a 3v pump to compare. The only differences I could detect were the oil pressure relief spring and thicker billet back plate. The georotors and housings looked identical.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The GT500 pan fits. It was a pain to install the motor with it on though. A BMR K member would of gone far with this install. The transmission had to be jacked up in order to get the bolts started. I used some very long bolts to start the motor to transmission. Over time I've found this to be the best way to join them due to the resistance of the slave cylinder.

The last pic of the motor out of the car.

Motor in the car and bolted to the motor mounts. The transmission is also snugged up. It took about two hours of back and forth with the hoist and leveler. I was also lucky to have a neighbor come over and give me a hand for about an hour. I think it would drop in fairly easy with the aforementioned BMR K member installed.

Clearance between the GT500 oil pan and stock K member. It's there. If I was to do it over I'd use the stock pan. All this is doing for me is requiring 8.5 quarts of oil and it made the install a little harder. I'm really glad that I decided to unbolt the steering rack and shaft last night. The header never would of cleared if the shaft had been in the way.

There is still plenty of work to do but todays goal was accomplished.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
When do you plan on having it running? Now that the hard parts done there isn't much left.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Looking good

Thanks guys.

When do you plan on having it running? Now that the hard parts done there isn't much left.

I don't know. I think I'll try for the starter, ac and power steering pumps tomorrow. Then maybe the top end on Friday and finish up with the exhaust on Saturday.

I've realized that I'm too old to do too much at a time. I can still do too much but I pay for it the next day. A couple of extra days aren't going to matter much in the big picture.

Once it's running again I have to get the tune right fairly quick so I can hammer it for break in.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I've realized that I'm too old to do too much at a time. I can still do too much but I pay for it the next day. A couple of extra days aren't going to matter much in the big picture.

I don't have that good of control. Every time i have a big project i end up over working myself. Im not even old and i can tell my body can't take the same abuse it could 5 years ago.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Looking good! Cant wait to do the engine delete, delete , again myself.

I only do it about once every 14 months on average. I think you are up to every 5 months or so, lol.

Here's another picture of the GT500 oil pan and stock k member. Plenty of clearance once it's in.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Fired it up today. Had to McGiver a broken wire with a needle and some solder. It's only temporary until the new connector gets here.

This is first start up.

This is after about 40 miles.

The fuel trims are within a few percent of zero most of the time. I turned off adaptive in the tune prior to pulling the old motor so this tells me than my old tune should work just fine. I expected it to since the motor is still using the same maf, and cai.

It's powerful enough to blow the tires off in first and second without really trying. I've probably hit 5700 or so rpms so far. I'll progressively run the rpms higher until they get up to 7200 or so. At that point it should be mostly broken in.

No cels, leaks, or other worrisome things. My biggest decision right now is to switch to e85 now or wait until it's been on the dyno with pump gas. It would probably be safer with e85. I think I'll pick up 10 gallons of e85 tomorrow and do the switch. That way I don't have to be concerned with how well the knock sensors are working. I have them stacked on top of each other in the only location for a knock sensor the boss block has. It does have two bosses I could drill out and tap or install inserts into but for now this is working.

I don't know how well the camera sound quality is but the car sounds nice. The custom ground cams are working very well with the hot rod cam tune I'm using. There will be very little tweaks required.

Datalogs start tomorrow.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice

Street tires omit now ?

So when r u pulling it to our something different in? :poke:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sounds badass, Bruce. I only hope that mine sounds half as good when I eventually put it together.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Nice

Street tires omit now ?

So when r u pulling it to our something different in? :poke:

I'm running suv tires on Racestar 17x8 wheels on the rear. I don't think the drag radials will come out until spring but you never know.

I have no plans to voluntarily pull this motor. 4 times is enough to last me a lifetime. I have to say that this build gave me the most hiccups out of any of them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back