Big Bore Boss build

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
it's awesome that you can run that much compression on pump gas.

I feel the need to quote you again, lol.

Once the E85 tune was nailed down the motor was switched to 92 octane pump gas. I've been fine tuning the driveability over the last few days and can say that it now drives and starts as well as a stock motor/tune combo does on gasoline. I let it warm up a little because of the 2618 pistons but that's the only difference between how I drive this and how I drove the last motor that had 4032 pistons.

The knock sensors are stacked in the center hole that's meant for one sensor. They still pick up a signal. It's enough of a signal that it retarded spark advance down to 26.25 at wot. 28 degrees was commanded. The a/f was a little lean at 13.5-13.6 during those pulls. I've since richened the a/f via the maf transfer function so it should now be at the commanded .89 lambda or 13.0x. Hopefully this will also allow the full 28 degrees of spark. I have no idea of where the spark should be with 12:1 and 92 octane so it's a good thing the knock sensors are working.

I'll get it on the dyno sometime soon. I'd say that the seat of the pants dyno is a little over 400rwhp. I can feel a difference between this and E85 at 34 degrees of spark advance. It's still strong, just not as strong as E85. The E85 tune feels like a stock motor with forced induction to me.

So far this build hasn't let me down. The track won't open until April so for now all I have is the dyno. I'd say this is a worthwhile build for anyone who wants decent na power with a modular motor. The price difference isn't much different and you have old parts to sell to offset the cost.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Procharger ordered yet? :poke:

If I was going to supercharge it I think that this time around it would be a dob with a 2.9 whipple. I'm not doing it though. The power delivery is perfect as is with e85 and pretty close to perfect with pump gas. All of the power is useable.

If we figure in the 15% drivetrain loss then this is making over 500 at the flywheel. Not bad for a na 3v modular motor. In fact it's more than the early GT500 made. I'm very satisfied with it.

The power level would be insane with a 2.9 whipple, e85, and the 12:1 compression.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So its in the back of your mind eh Bruce? You just cant help yourself. Great build!

I can't shut my mind off. I'm always having thoughts pop up, lol.

It would be very nasty with our new twin kit.

I agree. It's fairly nasty as is too. Good luck with the new twin kit. It really looks like it's going to be a winner, even if it's set up as a single. The beta layout I saw on here really looked good.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
If someone buys your spare shortblock you would be off to a good start on funds for a whipple.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If someone buys your spare shortblock you would be off to a good start on funds for a whipple.

Be that as it may, this setup is exactly what I want. If the shortblock sells the money will probably go towards a vehicle for daughter #2.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
Im just giving you shit along with the other guys. Im glad your content with your new setup. It's damn impressive for a N/A 3v and im sure it's a blast.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Im just giving you shit along with the other guys. Im glad your content with your new setup. It's damn impressive for a N/A 3v and im sure it's a blast.

I'm aware it's all in good fun. I just did a quick calculation and using a 15% drivetrain loss it made a little over 514hp at the flywheel. That's about 1.6 hp per cubic inch.

I think I'll get it on the dyno again this week and see where it is with 92 pump and 28 degrees of spark advance.

Any guesses? Redline is 7200 but it's been peaking and holding hp from 6300-6700 rpm.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Bruce want to build me a shortblock? S197Foum newest vendor???? Come on you know you want to? How about a 5.0 stroked 11:1 turbo 3v on e85???

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce want to build me a shortblock? S197Foum newest vendor???? Come on you know you want to? How about a 5.0 stroked 11:1 turbo 3v on e85???

If you were local I'd be happy to help you put one together. I do have a forged rod and piston long block for sale that is a little over 11:1 compression. It's stock stroke but made 699 with 19psi from a Procharger on E85 at one time.

The price for the long block is about half of what a new short block would cost. There is a link in my signature to the ad if you are interested.

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
Bruce, I am sorry if this question has been asked and it is a little OT from your build, but can the boss block be bored out a little more in the event something goes wrong with a piston, or do you need to sleeve it?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce, I am sorry if this question has been asked and it is a little OT from your build, but can the boss block be bored out a little more in the event something goes wrong with a piston, or do you need to sleeve it?

I don't know. I think there is enough left for at least .010 over but just don't know. It's one of those things you just accept with a build like this.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, just read the whole 13 pages... Man what a project!!!

So what are your feelings on the 8.5 quart oil pan...lol
You know where I'm going with this. LOL

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Wow, just read the whole 13 pages... Man what a project!!!

So what are your feelings on the 8.5 quart oil pan...lol
You know where I'm going with this. LOL

Works great and the price is right. It takes 8 quarts with this combo. That's the same thing that skwerl got with his 5.0 stroker based on a 4.6 block.

I don't really need the extra capacity. I decided to run super tech synthetic to keep the costs down a little. Once I researched the oil it turns out that it's rebranded from Warren Distribution. I have no issue using it.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/upload/saved/Mag_1_FullSyn.pdf

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Works great and the price is right. It takes 8 quarts with this combo. That's the same thing that skwerl got with his 5.0 stroker based on a 4.6 block.

I don't really need the extra capacity. I decided to run super tech synthetic to keep the costs down a little. Once I researched the oil it turns out that it's rebranded from Warren Distribution. I have no issue using it.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/upload/saved/Mag_1_FullSyn.pdf

Is it really an advantage to run such a large oil pan? I like the plug for a return. I really don't like that casting though...I wish they would have used stamping. Not sure I can use with with my a-arm brace.

I cannot use a socket to remove the drain plug as the a-arm brace is in the way. Not sure if the 8qt pan would clear it. Guess I'll stick with the 6qt. I guess as long as you change your fluid religiously you should be OK.

Do you

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back