Blown S197's w/ automatics???

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever broken, trashed, torn-up an automatic with anything under 500 rwhp on a positive displacement blower (whipple, KB,...)

thanks

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well--below500 rwhp I had to replace a converter. Above 500 you will find alot of cases of transmission failure. If you go to the ET thread, you can see all of the faster cars have moved on to the 4R70W.

But with the exception of the converter, you should be fine below 500 rwhp.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
WOW!!! I read that thread a while back... you are running a saleen w/ 2.87 pulley... probably making 12-13 lbs of boost? Are you really making 470 rwhp? were you consistently running the car hard at the track?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Vehicle has NEVER seen the track. I know, I know - why build a vehicle with those mods and never take it to the track. Some dumbass agreement I made with my wife.

Back to business. Boost is closer to 14.5 psi with a kickass JDM tune - probably right at 525 RWHP.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I have had to rebuild my trans 2 1/2 times. The Art Carr TC damage it and the trans was rebuilt by Tony (Larrys Transmissions). So another Art Carr TC was installed and that damaged the trans to where it only needed a few parts replace. On my fourth TC (TCI 3200 stall) which lasted two months trash my trans and had to have the trans rebuilt again. Now I have the PI 3 stage multi-disk TC and have up around 10K miles on it. I haven had one problem with the PI. When my trans were damage, I was only making about 354hp.
With all the problems I was having, Adam didn't want to trun up the boost on the car. Since then I've added some mods and for a long time I was at 421hp. About a two months ago I got Adams CAI for the Saleen and now making 447hp/425tq.

If you plan to get a new TC, get the PI 3 stage $900+, it's well worth the money and less of a headache.

Get the trans rebuilt by Tony, he does mods to the trans which will help save it if the TC goes bad. At least you'll have less damage to the trans with his mods.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
Vehicle has NEVER seen the track. I know, I know - why build a vehicle with those mods and never take it to the track. Some dumbass agreement I made with my wife.
Nothing wrong with that, my car has never seen any type of track either, and probably won't ever see a drag strip :)

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
445 RWHP killed my tranny.
Lonestar Performance in Garland tx killed mine. They didnt know about the alinement tool and just threw a converter in there and sent me on my viberating ass way, only to kill the pump in 4 mi. at 500 rwhp.

OH YA HAVE I SAID FUCK LONESTAR LATELY!!!!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back