Boss intake vs stock.

BigFudge

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question about the stock intake vs boss. My car went a best of 7.74 @ 93mph with the stock intake, stock converter, stock suspension. The best so far with the boss intake, Circle D 5c converter and full suspension is a 7.57 @ 93mph. Is the boss intake hurting me? Best 60' so far with the boss is 1.63...best with the stock intake and stock converter 1.83. Car shifted at 7200 with the stock intake, shifts at 7700 with the boss. I could feel an instant loss of torque down low after installing the boss and after tuning. I only run 1/8th mile, don't plan on going 1/4. Stock 3.15 gear out back. I'm running through the traps at the middle of 3rd gear with the boss intake. With the stock intake manifold I was going through the traps at the top of 3rd gear. Thanks for the help guys!

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The boss intake is known for loss of torque down low on NA setups. A local tried one on his 12 auto and put the factory intake back on because of the torque loss off the line. It has provided some success for a guy that is running a Paxton setup, but not sure if that is current. HE went through a whole engine upgrade that is still under wraps while it is being tuned. As you have found it does help up how however if you wish to take the engine to that limit.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Throw the stocker back on and see what happens?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I have been a best of [email protected] with the stock intake. Boss setup best was [email protected]. Same rear gear.

60' with stock was 1.46 and Boss was 1.52.

That said, tuning was different, fuel was different, air was different, suspension was different and I haven't sat down and crunched the numbers to see where the gains came from.

In past testing in the 1/4 mile, similar conditions and no other changes to the car outside of the tune and intake, the Boss was better for a 1.5 tenth gain in the 1/4 mile.

Other cars I have tuned I see about 1.5 tenths difference in the 1/4 mile between the stock and Boss as well with 2-3 MPH gain.

IMO if you want to stick to 1/8th mile racing a 3.55 or 3.73 rear gear with the Boss would be best. 3.31 has worked well for me with the stock intake in the 1/8th and I am currently working on testing other gear ratios.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back