Flapjack's 5.4L Twin Turbo Build Thread

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I just realized I really didn't have a thread over here... so here goes.

The car was a 2005 V6, but now has a 3v 5.4L. After numerous problems (and failures) due to shoddy MMR engineering, I'm now running a stock 5.4L until such day when there's funding for a fully forged engine. I already have hammered out the specs with JPC... but until then, I'll be running 7.5lb springs with 61mm ball bearing turbos (.82AR / stage 5 exhaust wheels).

The car has already been converted to E85, which will make it more boost-friendly. To support up to 1000 RWHP (the chassis is still not ready for that much), a triple pump Walbro return-style setup will be used with 105 Bosch injectors. I haven't installed that stuff yet, as I'm just gonna do it all in one pop (no sense in having to tune it twice).

At this point, I'm still waiting on a 2nd turbo and set of headers, as I let Jim at TurboHP send out my stuff to a guy in need. I'm not too upset, as I'm now getting ball bearing turbos, which I had originally wanted in the first place.

Anyways, here are some pics. Everything's been Jet-Hot coated, which looks awesome (put a pic of one of the tubing pieces for show). It's gonna be a few weeks until the build starts, but I figured I'd start the thread now.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
if you need any 5.4 parts i have a TON....also i can get you any ford parts for very cheap. just let me know, good luck with everything.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Sicks... but what is your reasoning with not going to a 4v?

I like my 5.4 3V but the 4V seems just so much more efficient.

PS: That nice pretty exhaust housing won't stay like that long. :)

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
The 5.4 was cost effective... well, except for the original MMR intake ai had (running a JPC now). When I decided to swap out the V6 (which I had up to 440 rwhp), I tried to find a 4.6L, but couldn't find one cheap. The 5.4s were more plentiful and lower priced to boot. There is no way I could've gotten a 4v for the price I got the 3v for, even factoring in the cost of the intake.

There's also a little sentimental reason. I've traditionally been a Chevy guy, but I've always loved the Mustang and the F150. It was only natural that I combined them. Plus, no one had put a 5.4 3v in an S197 that I could find. It seemed like good ground to break. Between me and Mike Ivey (Twin Turbo Ranger on ModFords), and the various vendors that lent their expertise (like PMP) we figured it all out and have helped quite a few people do the swap along the way.

Now that JPC has an affordable, bolt-on intake for the 3v 5.4L, this swap can actually be quite affordable.

As for the exhaust housing on the turbo, that Jet-Hot coating should hold up well. Jim at TurboHP had a some headers that were 5 years old and still looked pretty good. Granted, the turbo will wear quicker than the headers... but it should hold up pretty well. If not, oh well.... that's what turbos are supposed to look like. :)

Sent from my Vibrant using Tapatalk

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
YOu and me both have been tinkering with these dang cars since what late 05 LOL both were v6's then now both 5.4's ..

I even had your motor at in my stang for several months. LOL.. wow time is flying

figured you would be done by now mange. ( dont worry im not either LOL)

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
YOu and me both have been tinkering with these dang cars since what late 05 LOL both were v6's then now both 5.4's ..

I even had your motor at in my stang for several months. LOL.. wow time is flying

figured you would be done by now mange. ( dont worry im not either LOL)
No shit. Funny how time flies. I can blame a certain company for my lack of progress. Not going to, though... I've moved on.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually SPYDER7724 has a 5.4L 3V for the last couple years. He also ran in the 10's na with it. You might want to get with him and he may be able to get you over the humps on the install.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like a fun project! I have one question though. Shouldn't the intercooler have a divider separating the two inlets?

You know something like this

_________^________

This way the two inlets aren't colliding with one another but instead being split and diverted individually. I'm not expert but it seems like the current way might hinder flow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back