JLT Cold Air Intake, FRPP 4.10 gears, and BoomTubes!

Preston951

Foglight delete kit!
Reaction score
After over 12 months of being 99% stock in the power department, I pulled the trigger and went all out with a JLT, 4.10s, and Boomtubes. I also got a 91 octane Tillman's Performance tune with an SCT X3. :beerdrink:

I've had the gears and CAI on for about 2 weeks, but I wanted to use them for a while before I said anything about them. The Boomtubes have been on for a few days. WOW. More below!

JLT Cold Air Intake
This thing is a LOT nicer than a lot of people (that don't have it) think. It's ENORMOUS. Pictures make it look small. It takes a very small about of time to install. The hardest part for me was fitting the rubber elbow over the throttle body. :lol2:

FRPP 4.10 gears
I never really realized how much the stock 3.31 gears in my auto sucked until I put these in. I now get thrown into my seat on acceleration and spin the tires every shift. They seriously blow the 3.31s out of the sky. I'm pretty sure 3.73s would've been great as well, but the difference in RPMs wasn't big enough to discourage me. At 70mph I'm @ 2500rpms. Not to unbearable.

Boomtubes
HOLY CRAP! These are so much louder than I expected! I got them used for $200 from a member on here, and well, they were worth it. But damn, I'm going to have to get used to them. I think in combination with the 4.10s they're a little louder than usual. I'll try sound-deadening in the trunk and be done with it.
But besides the loudness, they sound incredible! The SLPs must be even louder and more obnoxious. The Boomtubes are basically straight pipe with baffles in them. I really like them. And so do my friends! :beer:

Tillman's Tune
Bad experience with these guys. The performance tune is great... But it took 3 weeks to get it and the damn 91 Street Race Tune says "Tune File Size is Not Supported" or something like that when I try to load it. I'll have to contact them about that. I'm wondering how much different it'll be from the Performance.

Nevertheless... The car is now a BEAST! The performance matches the looks. :victory: Driving "aggressively" in town yields about 16mpg, but I can get 20mpg in the city if I keep my foot off it. Highway I'm still getting 24-26+mpg with the 4.10s. I haven't been to the track yet, but I'm guessing its much faster than stock. It sure feels and sounds it! Tires spin from 1-2, 2-3, and chirp on 4-5. I haven't done a 4-3 downshift yet, but that'll be interesting. It takes NO time at all to be at cruising speeds, and even less to be over the speed limit. :evillaugh:

Money well spent. I still am having trouble wiping this big grin off my face! :rockon:

Next up will be suspension. That will sure be fun. :thumb:

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
congrats...I have a CAI, Tune, and H Pipe...the 4.10's go in saturday...i expect the same fun results :)

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great choices on the gears/CAI. I agree the 331's were nothing compared to the 410's which really woke the car up. Nice to see the mpg is what I see as well.

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the props, I'm glad your happy with the CAI.

Thanks
Jay

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new power. You are now probably addicted and will find yourself saving for that next mod.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new mods. You got luck and a good deal on the boomtubes-they are hard to find in the classifieds.

Preston951

Foglight delete kit!
Reaction score
congrats...I have a CAI, Tune, and H Pipe...the 4.10's go in saturday...i expect the same fun results :)

Sweet man! I put the CAI and 4.10s in at the same time so I didn't really feel the individual differences they brought. Did the H pipe add any significant gains for you?

Great choices on the gears/CAI. I agree the 331's were nothing compared to the 410's which really woke the car up. Nice to see the mpg is what I see as well.

Thanks Greg!

Thanks for the props, I'm glad your happy with the CAI.

Thanks
Jay

The CAI is great and one of the cheapest on the market. I'll be honest with you Jay, it's not the flashiest one, but it sure as hell performs! :beer:

Congrats on your new power. You are now probably addicted and will find yourself saving for that next mod.

:argh:
Yep. I think I'm going to tackle some suspension stuff next. I don't really know where to start. I've been thinking about throwing an Eibach kit on there and being done with it. :question:

Congrats on the new mods. You got luck and a good deal on the boomtubes-they are hard to find in the classifieds.

Yep - The previous set on here literally sold right when I asked for pictures. I knew I had to jump on it then or I'd have lost them.

I want 4.10's so bad!

:lol2: They're freakin' sweet man. Go for it!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the UPR springs(Eibach) on my car and it really lowered my car to the point it looked slammed in the front and when I had a passenger in the car I would hit the bump stops in the rear; if you are planning on taking the car to the track I recommend the CJ springs as people who have used them have cut .2 or more off their 60ft times, they do lower the car and they were $75 shipped from Hurricane.

Plus if you are not afraid to do your own work and have air tools/basic garage tools you can do the spring swap yourself and save some money.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
if you are planning on taking the car to the track I recommend the CJ springs as people who have used them have cut .2 or more off their 60ft times, they do lower the car and they were $75 shipped from Hurricane.
How much will they lower it?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm..not sure since I went from the Eibach's to the CJ's...I can measure the distance from the ground to the center top of the wheel well and post them so you can compare that to whatever your stock measurement is....not sure if it matters what tire you have but I have the 245/45/19's on mine.

Preston951

Foglight delete kit!
Reaction score
I had the UPR springs(Eibach) on my car and it really lowered my car to the point it looked slammed in the front and when I had a passenger in the car I would hit the bump stops in the rear; if you are planning on taking the car to the track I recommend the CJ springs as people who have used them have cut .2 or more off their 60ft times, they do lower the car and they were $75 shipped from Hurricane.

Plus if you are not afraid to do your own work and have air tools/basic garage tools you can do the spring swap yourself and save some money.

Cool stuff! I've never heard of or seen the CJ springs before. Could you link me? :thanks1:

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
Ahh the BoomTubes, disturbing the peace since when ever they were developed! They are the bees knees brotha!!! Congrats on all the mods and new found pavement punishing power.

Preston951

Foglight delete kit!
Reaction score

Lol, I finally made the connection between "CJ" and "Cobra Jet" right after I made that last post. The thing is, I'm looking for springs that work well for both road course and drag racing. I'm under the impression the Cobra Jet springs are for drag racing. :question:

Ahh the BoomTubes, disturbing the peace since when ever they were developed! They are the bees knees brotha!!! Congrats on all the mods and new found pavement punishing power.

Ahh, that man himself! :beer:
The Charger looks good bro! Are we gonna get any pics of this thing? Or are we gonna have to stare at your sig all day? :lol2:

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
Lol, I finally made the connection between "CJ" and "Cobra Jet" right after I made that last post. The thing is, I'm looking for springs that work well for both road course and drag racing. I'm under the impression the Cobra Jet springs are for drag racing. :question:

Ahh, that man himself! :beer:
The Charger looks good bro! Are we gonna get any pics of this thing? Or are we gonna have to stare at your sig all day? :lol2:

LOLZ. Its been raining since I picked up the new Hemi:wtf1:. Damn rain only shows up in the damn desert in damn las vegas when I get a new car. I'll get pics of the traitor mobile as soon as it stops raining. :beer:

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
LOLZ. Its been raining since I picked up the new Hemi:wtf1:. Damn rain only shows up in the damn desert in damn las vegas when I get a new car. I'll get pics of the traitor mobile as soon as it stops raining. :beer:

Don't start throwing around that "Hemi" word around here and getting cocky! lol j/k. One of the stang guys will be putting you in your place! :roflmao: And yes I also would like to see pics of the "traitor mobile" when you get around to it. :beer:

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
Don't start throwing around that "Hemi" word around here and getting cocky! lol j/k. One of the stang guys will be putting you in your place! :roflmao: And yes I also would like to see pics of the "traitor mobile" when you get around to it. :beer:

Oh, I'm quite sure. LOL It'll be different because I'll be like, "hey jerk, I used to have one of those and you're doing it wrong!!!":roflmao:JK

All that aside, I do miss the Stang, but I'm enthralled with the really cool features the new car has. I went grocery shopping today and was quite impressed.

*end thread jack* enough about my car, lets see some vids of the Boom Tubes!!!

GONE_N_60

The Bad Guy
Reaction score
Just curious but why the downgrade? LOL i kid i kid.

But no really, why?

It was financially more viable for me at this time in my life. Trading in the 'Stang allowed me to pay ALL of my credit card debt, save a ton on my car insurance, and lower my monthly car payment. I want to be able buy a house by the age of 28. I'm 22 now and graduated in December, so I kind of want to get started on a lot of stuff in my life. It is also nice to have something with a little more utility and room. Plus it won't be a sledge hammer to the face if my girl gets preggo between now and when ever.

I'm going to miss the crap out of the CS but I think it was the best decision for me at this point in my life with the goals I have.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back