Learning to make fast go fast!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Did not get much done over the Thanksgiving holiday, I cleaned everything up and started to install the crank and I had zero clearance. Had to drop the block off Monday for a line hone. I have .0025 on the rods and the mains now. I was able to get the long block assembled through the week and got it almost ready to drop in tomorrow morning. Just need a trip to the auto parts store first.

The stock stroke Kellogg crank I had bought had been drilled and tapped and stripped again before I obtained it. I had to drill and tap it again to a 5/8-18 bolt. I should be able to two the balancer to at least 120 ft lb now. This is the largest bolt that can be used without getting into the outer section of the crank snout and affecting the strength of the crank.

I am going to leave the crank support off this time and see how things go. I guess we will see what I can do with this non stroker engine. It will be in the car tomorrow and fired up. Wish me luck! (For the sixth time) lol

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I had to use the inner part of the crank snout itself with an insert for one of my motors. It worked fine. I had broken a tty bolt off and couldn't extract it because the tool steel hardened ez out broke off in the crank!

I'd suggest that you look up torques for the bolt diameter and pitch you are using. IIRC a 5/8 uses less torque than the stock tty or arp in stock thread pitch and diameter. It's even less if it's lubricated (think thread locker or a bolt that's supplied with surface lubricant).

At any rate I think you will be very happy with the stock stroke motor. Good luck!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I had to use the inner part of the crank snout itself with an insert for one of my motors. It worked fine. I had broken a tty bolt off and couldn't extract it because the tool steel hardened ez out broke off in the crank!

I'd suggest that you look up torques for the bolt diameter and pitch you are using. IIRC a 5/8 uses less torque than the stock tty or arp in stock thread pitch and diameter. It's even less if it's lubricated (think thread locker or a bolt that's supplied with surface lubricant).

At any rate I think you will be very happy with the stock stroke motor. Good luck!

What I see online shows 180 ft lb.

http://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/bolts/tighteningtorque.htm

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Hey Billy. When your pulling/putting motors in do you do the motor/trans at the same time? Do you go through the top/bottom?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I wouldn't go by what the bolt will take but rather what it will take to secure the balancer.

IMO 180 will be too much for an insert. I'd go with the lubricated torque for a grade 2 or 5 bolt and use blue Loctite for the lubricant. Then I'd recheck the torque every time I ran the motor for the first few times.

That is the procedure I went through when I had to use an insert on my last motor. It worked for many thousands of miles.

I wish you success with whatever you decide to do. You will certainly be able to feel if the insert is pulling out when you torque the bolt and if you feel it pulling out it's too late.

The balancer bolt will only hold as much torque as the insert will take. Too much torque on the insert would be just as bad as too little on the bolt imo.
I plan to do 120 with blue lock tight. 180 is more then I want to crank on it. Mine is not a insert though. I drilled and re tapped the crank to a 5/8-18 bolt and have the same grade 8 bolt I am using.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I plan to do 120 with blue lock tight. 180 is more then I want to crank on it. Mine is not a insert though. I drilled and re tapped the crank to a 5/8-18 bolt and have the same grade 8 bolt I am using.

You read it before I had my edit complete! I'm sure it will work out fine.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Didn't quite get done yesterday, got a late start , but here is where I'm at. A few hours after work this week and it should be buttoned up. I ended up torquing the new crank bolt to 150 ft lbs with a small amount of blue lock tight on it.

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't quite get done yesterday, got a late start , but here is where I'm at. A few hours after work this week and it should be buttoned up. I ended up torquing the new crank bolt to 150 ft lbs with a small amount of blue lock tight on it.

I've seen those brown towels somewhere...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
It's all done and ready to crank tomorrow afternoon when I get home! Putting a full charge on the battery now.

Something I have been thinking about today, what will make more power and run the fastest times with this 285" stock stroke motor with my setup.

3.9 pulley at 7500 rpms or 3.4 at 6500 rpms? Both are at a 77000 rpm limit I'm willing to spin my F1a.

What do y'all think?

travelers

Reaction score
For initial testing I think 3.4 would be the place to start. What was Lito's recommendations?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
For initial testing I think 3.4 would be the place to start. What was Lito's recommendations?

I have not asked. He supports what I ask sence he knows I won't hold him responsible for what I do.

I'm leaning towards the 3.4 at 6500 rpm a after seeing the boost ramp looking like a twin screw. I am starting it with the 3.9, but only for initial testing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back