Main bearing cap removal

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Are the main caps still held on by jackscrews like they are with the 3V? I took out one of the side bolts real quick and shined a light down there to see if i could figure it out but I'm not certain. If they are does anyone know what size Allen Wrench to use to relax them?

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
To be honest, it maybe that no one knows what the hell your talking about. Just a guess...

I'll take a stab at this starting with the basics. Each cap has 6 fasteners. The 'side bolt' you took out reveals no picture of what the other fasteners look like or what they are. Having looked in my manual, the inner main cap fasteners have two 'bolts' and two nut/stud combos on each cap. There is no indication that any of them have an allen screw insert.

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, that could very well be the case. It is a 6 bolt main, 4 top bolts and the 2 side bolts.

I can see what the manual says but I am almost positive there are jack screws on the 4.6L 3V that are located behind the side bolts. You loosen those up and they release tension on the main caps and you can now take them out (the workshop manifold doesn't say anything about them either).

Now I am wondering if that is the case with the 5.0 block as well and if not how do you remove them?

Last edited:

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
There is no mention of SET SCREWS or, in your vernacular, jack screws that have to be removed. Even the figures show none.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
No jack screws in the 3V or Coyote,

3V,

Coyote,

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
You just need to wiggle them out with channel locks; be careful. Pull up and wiggle on one side then alternate until it's mostly free, then pull it free.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back