My cheap as dirt Coyote swap.. 06 GT 500 to the wheels for $5000

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Then there is no reason GEN2 trucks would not be Plug and Play in a GEN1 Mustang other then the front cover. Who else agrees with this?
Because Gen2 timing is not compatible with gen1 control set, period. The gen1 computer can not control the phasers nor read the inputs from the sensors. The Can-bus of Gen2 uses a completely different protocol.

Suecra

Reaction score
Yes it does seem a 2015 low mile truck "alternative order of fire" engine for around $2500 or so is the way to go. The intake cam would have to be stock 2014 with the Boss exhaust. New front cover and a 500 timing kit. Seems to be no such thing as a core Coyote in a junkyard unless it's burned. It also seems the 2015 timing set is different then the 2014 in chain pitch.
You have to open it up, and spend more money making it work for the swap. The savings you get in swapping a truck motor is always outweighed by the cons, including the added costs, compression ratio, etc. Just my opinion, but do what you feel is best.

Suecra

Reaction score
So it turns out the Power by the hour harness makes this swap STUPID easy.

Well once you have deciphered the very basic instructions. Turns out all of my issues with communications to the computer and connectivity were due to a incorrectly wired OBD2 port and it frying my Forescan interface.

So you have their fuse box assembly and it requires a wire to run to the fuel pump, the Fan, Power and a Ground. Then there is a ignition wire, and run wire that go to the ignition column, (easily connected once you have the correct schematic, that I will include later). Then the last two wires go to the clutch switch and the brake switch. That's it! It plugs into the EEC and then to the transmission harness. Get your Computer flashed to disable PATS and load your startup tune.
Yoooo would be sick if you could include that schematic, I'm a little confused on the wiring for the steering column and the fuel pump relay since your doing it on the same chassis. Mostly because I already have a remote start installed from years ago and im confused on the fuel pump relay wire. Thanks!

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I think the age old saying is true. If you have to ask questions about it, then you should NOT do it. I am sure there is a very good reason 2015 Truck Coyotes are very cheap sitting on their side in the mud at a junkyard.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think the age old saying is true. If you have to ask questions about it, then you should NOT do it. I am sure there is a very good reason 2015 Truck Coyotes are very cheap sitting on their side in the mud at a junkyard.
I call that "research required" before proceeding.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I call that "research required" before proceeding.
Yes in deed.

Coming away from this I find the 2015 Truck Coyote

May or may not have Phaser Interlocks
May or may not have standard truck cams.
May or May not have Alternate Firing Order cams
May or may not have Boss Cams
May or may not have a different pitch timing chain
But does have a different front cover.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Yoooo would be sick if you could include that schematic, I'm a little confused on the wiring for the steering column and the fuel pump relay since your doing it on the same chassis. Mostly because I already have a remote start installed from years ago and im confused on the fuel pump relay wire. Thanks!
I'm going to do a how to with pics shortly but I ran the fuel pump wire directly to the pump. It simplifies things and gives a #10guage wire for no voltage drop.

upload_2021-5-15_9-20-19.png

upload_2021-5-15_9-20-22.png

upload_2021-5-15_9-24-49.png

Suecra

Reaction score
I'm going to do a how to with pics shortly but I ran the fuel pump wire directly to the pump. It simplifies things and gives a #10guage wire for no voltage drop.

View attachment 77853

View attachment 77854

View attachment 77855
Thank you these are like missing from the ford parts site and the uploaded manual, and even haynes. Makes it a little simpler once I get to that point. Finished my eletric steering conversion and it looks like my starter solenoid wiring is next up.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Here is a F150 vs a real GT engine in the same car using mustang intake and headers. The dealership tried to pull a fast one on this guy.

View attachment 77845

Let me get this right. This is a dyno comparison between an F150 and a Mustang GT Coyote engine (both presumably Gen 1) where both were fitted with a Gen 1 Mustang intake manifold and Gen 1 Mustang factory shorty headers.
Both sets of dyno figures were uncorrected but the weather data is shown for each. According to my calculations, the SAE correction factor for the Mustang Coyote dyno run was 0.930, while the SAE correction factor for the F150 Coyote dyno run was 1.009. That means the SAE corrected dyno numbers for each run are:

Mustang Coyote: 377.26rwhp & 367.67rwtq (looks like it was indeed a bone stock Gen 1)
F150 Coyote: 344.48rwhp & 357.52rwtq

As you can see, the difference between the two engines was narrowed quite considerably after the figures were corrected to the same standard, and that difference here really IS only down to the Mustang engine having more aggressive intake cams plus a half-point higher compression ratio. That half-point extra compression is worth an extra ~7rwhp & 7rwtq, while the Mustang intake cams only begin to make a significant difference above 5500rpm where the F150 HP curve flattens (and holds all the way to 6600rpm).

When using an '11-'14 GT ECU for a Coyote swap into an '05-'09 GT, you'll definitely need to have Gen 1 Mustang intake & exhaust cams with phasers though Gen 1 F150 exhaust cams are the same. Other parts that can mix and match for those building a FrankenCoyote:

'11 heads (12mm bolts) with '11 short block or Gen 3 short block (either F150 or Mustang)
'12-'17 heads (11mm bolts) with '12-'17 short block (either F150 or Mustang)

The timing cover has to be from a Mustang in order to mount the accessory brackets for those who bought an F150 engine.

Any performance add-ons such as a CAI, LT headers, Gen 3 Mustang intake manifold, and Boss cams are going to require a custom tune of the '11-'14 GT ECU.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Again my interest is in a 2015 F150 Coyote and exactly what cams are in it. Is it 2014 Truck Cams or 2015 Truck Cams or 2015 Truck Alternate Firing Order Cams or Boss Cams.

Suecra

Reaction score
Again my interest is in a 2015 F150 Coyote and exactly what cams are in it. Is it 2014 Truck Cams or 2015 Truck Cams or 2015 Truck Alternate Firing Order Cams or Boss Cams.
lmao if its a 2015 it got 2015 cams, why would it have 2014? im confused by the question.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
lmao if its a 2015 it got 2015 cams, why would it have 2014? im confused by the question.
Well it seems the 2015 Gen2 Mustang GT has 2013 Gen1 Mustang GT Boss Cams or so people say. So I am not sure why not a 2015 Truck Coyote could have 2014 Coyote Truck Cams.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Let me get this right. This is a dyno comparison between an F150 and a Mustang GT Coyote engine (both presumably Gen 1) where both were fitted with a Gen 1 Mustang intake manifold and Gen 1 Mustang factory shorty headers.
Yes. His original motor was swapped under warranty into his GT using his original intake and headers.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
They are the 2015 Truck cams. The GT has the same specs for the cams but the timing gear is different. Again Boss cams are $450 from ford, if you want to buy new and not shop for take outs, that are all over FB marketplace.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you these are like missing from the ford parts site and the uploaded manual, and even haynes. Makes it a little simpler once I get to that point. Finished my eletric steering conversion and it looks like my starter solenoid wiring is next up.
I had a hell of a time finding those schematics even through the ford manual. What is the deal with your solenoid? Its on the same harness as the electric steering.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
They are the 2015 Truck cams. The GT has the same specs for the cams but the timing gear is different. Again Boss cams are $450 from ford, if you want to buy new and not shop for take outs, that are all over FB marketplace.

Standard Fire or Alternative Fire for the 2015 Truck? Then your saying 2015 Truck cams have 2014 Timing gear since only 2015 GT have a different timing gear. Or your saying both the 2015 Truck and the 2015 GT have the same Boss cams but only the 2015 GT has a different timing gear?

Suecra

Reaction score
Standard Fire or Alternative Fire for the 2015 Truck? Then your saying 2015 Truck cams have 2014 Timing gear since only 2015 GT have a different timing gear. Or your saying both the 2015 Truck and the 2015 GT have the same Boss cams but only the 2015 GT has a different timing gear?
Let me clarify what I think your asking: All truck cams and mustang cams are different, all the way from gen 1 to gen 3.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Standard Fire or Alternative Fire for the 2015 Truck? Then your saying 2015 Truck cams have 2014 Timing gear since only 2015 GT have a different timing gear. Or your saying both the 2015 Truck and the 2015 GT have the same Boss cams but only the GT has a different timing gear?
Let me clarify what I think your asking: All truck cams and mustang cams are different, all the way from gen 1 to gen 3.

So how many can there be?. What your saying is there are three sets of Truck cams Gen1 Gen2 and Gen3 and three sets of GT cams Gen1 Gen2 and Gen3. Plus the Boss Cam. That is 7 sets in all that exist. I am not sure I believe that.

I do believe all Gen2 GT's have Boss Cams. What I am asking is exactly what cam is in the 2015 Truck and is it the "Alternative Fire" cams or the same or slightly better cams then in the 2014 Truck.

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
So how many can there be?. What your saying is there are three sets of Truck cams Gen1 Gen2 and Gen3 and three sets of GT cams Gen1 Gen2 and Gen3. Plus the Boss Cam. That is 7 sets in all that exist. I am not sure I believe that.

I do believe all Gen2 GT's have Boss Cams. I am asking is exactly what cam is in the 2015 Truck and is it the "Alternative Fire" cams or the same or slightly better cams then in the 2014 Truck.

Let me clarify it for you:

Gen 1: F150 and Mustang GT have same exhaust cams. Intake cams are different. All Boss 302 cams are different from both.

Gen 2: F150 and Mustang GT have different intake AND exhaust cams from each other and from Gen 1. The Mustang GT shares the same exhaust cams as the Boss 302 but not the intake cams. The F150 DOES NOT have Boss cams.

Gen 3: F150 and Mustang GT have different intake AND exhaust cams from each other and from Gen 2.

Basically there are seven different Coyote intake cams for each side, and five different exhaust cams for each side. Those differences relate to cam timing as well as valve lift. If you're using a Gen 1 Mustang ECU in your 05-09 GT, you need stock Gen 1 Mustang cams. Anything else would require a custom tune. You also need the Gen 1 Mustang cam phasers and timing chain kit.

As far as I know, the cylinder firing order for ALL Coyote engines is the same 15486372.

@LarryJM I can list the part numbers of all the cams if you like, but you can also find them on the Tasca Ford website.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back