Phase change or peltier intake cooling discussion

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Just brainstroming some different ideas based on some of the custom computer builds I have done and was thinking some of this may conceptually apply to cars.

What do you guys think about using either a phase change cooler or peltier cooler in direct contact with a metal intake? Could it keep the intake tubing sufficiently cool enough to lower the intake temps? Would the electrical system of the car be able to supply enough juice.
Open for discussion!

07 Boss

Reaction score
You need surface area to conduct heat efficiently. The intake tube is not in contact with enough air long enough to effect air temp with any significance. Don’t try and reinvent the wheel. Use tried and true methods.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1. Those technologies could work on things like intercoolers and heat exchangers where there is large surface area and the fluid has dwell time

Would they be any better than what's used today, not likely. Killer chiller rings a bell.

But really no need to get into physics as it would be extremely cost prohibitive to upscale from the get go.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I figured as much but was using a peltfier for some extreme PC cooling last week and it got me thinking.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back