swflastang05's build thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Awesome!! Looks so clean!!

Is that the MSD 2 Step RPM launch thing...? The one that comes with a harness that plugs between the coils and coil harness?

Yes it is,

How does it work? Is it good? Do you recommend it?

I have it wired to my cruise off button, since my auto trans doesnt allow me to rev up like a stick car before launch the 2 step is supposed to be the next best thing, although I've read it's really hard on mod motors, particularly the pins the timing guides rest on so I'm a little hesitant to use it again. It was really intended for stick cars anyway, from what I understand. Us auto guys just use it since there's no trans brake option for a 5r55s!

My Procharger tank used to leak when it was under pressure. I found it to be a weld on the bottom back side. Do you have an air compressor you could use to test it at about 30 psi?

Interesting, mine only leaks under pressure too, I do have an air compressor but wonder how could I pressurize the tank? I guess I could screw the cap on, then plug the big hole and pressurize the small hole?

Looking good, you are clearly down to the short strokes now!

Thanks, yes it's gettin' there, so frustrating though to get held up by such a stupid problem! I guess it's better than a big problem though, lol!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Just pressurized my tank with water inside and it poured out from the threads, doesn't look like the weld is bad. Thanks for the idea of pressurizing though, that's a million times easier than installing the darn thing over & over then driving around the block to build pressure! Now to figure something out to stop the leaking! I was even thinking 3M 5200 that I use on my boat, IDK!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Just pressurized my tank with water inside and it poured out from the threads, doesn't look like the weld is bad. Thanks for the idea of pressurizing though, that's a million times easier than installing the darn thing over & over then driving around the block to build pressure! Now to figure something out to stop the leaking! I was even thinking 3M 5200 that I use on my boat, IDK!

Use some RTV.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Use some RTV.

Just tried some liquid Teflon, if that don't do it Black RTV will be next!

Should of seen me driving around without a nose on my car, the nose and my new hood are off getting painted now so I was driving around doing some pulls for Lito lookin' like a BIG POS!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
^^ LOL! Yea my nose had some road rash from bottoming out when the car was really low on Eibach pro-springs, its on Cobra Jet 5300-RA's now so it's not as bad. Not to mention my new hood, and good thing since my current (old) hood hits the blower and is quickly chipping away!

Okay liquid Teflon was another epic fail, so onto Black RTV! I'll let it cure overnight then test again, if it still leaks, I see welding in the future!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
We have a winner, the RTV worked! Now I can reinstall the tank and get back to tuning with Lito!

My painter sent me a pic of my hood yesterday too, hopefully get it back in a couple days and can have my car whole again :)

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I got my hood and nose back on this week, upgraded all SC tube clamps to 3/4" T-bolt style, and upgraded some vacuum / boost lines to -an style line. Lito says we're just a couple tunes away from being able to switch to e85! Can't wait for that! If all goes well I'll be able to strap it to the Dyno next Saturday on e85.

Today I drove out to my favorite open road way out in the middle of nowhere and made my first "pass" with the new motor, blew the tires off all trough 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd! That's peddling through 1st & 2nd and with only on 13lbs boost so far! I like it!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Well I drove enough miles this weekend to finally be able to change the oil, then my stomach dropped when I looked at the oil that came out, it had a metallic wave in it. If you move the oil container you can see kind of a metallic swirl in the oil, also if you stir it with something. I pulled the valve covers and didn't really see anything bad however the PS time chain was super loose on the top side so I pulled the timing cover. Other than that chain being super loose I don't see anything really out of the ordinary, I wonder if that tensioner failed? It looks collapsed now compared to when I assembled the motor, take a look here's from when I assembled the motor:

Here's what it looks like now, super loose chain:

Collapsed tensioner? IDK

I have another timing set so I can replace the tensioner and chain, etc. but I wonder if that's the problem, and if so why did it fail?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Phaser issues possibly? Have you inspected the cam on that side of the engine yet? I wouldn't immediately suspect any issues with the cam because if it were dragging then the top of the chain would be tight and the bottom would be loose.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I would deffinitely change the tensioner. As for the Metallic swirl, carefully inspect any metalic components associated with that chain for some form of rubbing.

If you need a Tensioner let me know. I work for Auto Nation Ford in Ft Lauderdale

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Phaser issues possibly? Have you inspected the cam on that side of the engine yet? I wouldn't immediately suspect any issues with the cam because if it were dragging then the top of the chain would be tight and the bottom would be loose.

Yes both cams look fine, and the phasers are locked out so there shouldn;t be any issues there?

I would deffinitely change the tensioner. As for the Metallic swirl, carefully inspect any metalic components associated with that chain for some form of rubbing.

I ended up changing both tensioners, thanks.

If you need a Tensioner let me know. I work for Auto Nation Ford in Ft Lauderdale
I had an extra timing kit, don't ask me why, lol

Answered this in your other thread. It looks like you have the tensioner arms swapped.

Yes I did, holy cow how could you tell that in the pic! I replaced both of those today too!

They look swapped, not sure though.
Yep sure were, I haven't really convinced myself yet that was the issue, but I'm putting it back together and will drive some more and see what happens. Hopefully that was it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back