The Definitive "Hard To Shift" Thread

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
I bought an aftermarket warranty for my car because it has gone past the 3 year factory warranty. Only problem is the warranty only pays $55 per hour and the local Ford dealer charges $87. Mitchell's calls for 10 hours to pull the tranny and fix the 2nd gear syncros...so it's looking like $370 plus $150 for the deductible to get this fixed.

RH

Shitty warranty or dealer or both.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice the shop rate in the warranty contract...or I would have bougth from another company.

RH

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I bought an aftermarket warranty for my car because it has gone past the 3 year factory warranty. Only problem is the warranty only pays $55 per hour and the local Ford dealer charges $87. Mitchell's calls for 10 hours to pull the tranny and fix the 2nd gear syncros...so it's looking like $370 plus $150 for the deductible to get this fixed.

RH

Wow, I think I'm going to get all the shit in mine fixed before I hit the 36K mark. I was considering purchasing the extended warranty, but um, I don't think they'll cover a car that is going from a v6 to a power adder 3V...

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead!

It's been well over a year for some of you folks who have installed the CHE torque limiters.........any issues? Has it helped and continued to help with high RPM shifting?

I am currently on the stock clutch/fly wheel(most likely sticking with this combo).....

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead!

It's been well over a year for some of you folks who have installed the CHE torque limiters.........any issues? Has it helped and continued to help with high RPM shifting?

I am currently on the stock clutch/fly wheel(most likely sticking with this combo).....

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how much help I will be at this point, but here is what solved my issues.

1.) Synchro TSB performed - 1-2 synchro was no bueno
2.) When performing #1, found that stock pressure plate was iffy, and installed a McLeod RST (stock flywheel is a McLeod Alum on the PJ)
3.) CHE K-brace and torque limiters

I can bang gears again!!!

Best ET to date - 10.88 @ 128 powershifting the MGW. Still works great.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
since i pulled my engine/trans to do the top end and a spec 3+ & aluminum flywheel i've had problems shifting in all gears at any rpm. it's like i have to pull it out of gear and wait a second for it to go into the next gear. i have a bmr k-member & tri-ax shifter. had absolutely no issue before doing the work.

DraggnRoush

Jimi Hendrix Blues
Reaction score
Last Saturday @ New England Dragway, I got my all-time best 60' time of 1.609 (damn that felt GR8!) but then MISSED 2nd gear! I still managed to pull off an 11.843 ET & 120 mph trap speed, but it would've been under 11.5 if I'd not missed 2nd.

I BELIEVE the issue causing the missed 1-2 shift @ 6000+RPM is the twisting shift linkage... I'm definitely installing a CHE K-member brace w/ torque limiters over the Winter so I'll be ready to race next Spring. I already have Prothane motor mounts, so adding the CHE unit should solve my 1-2 shift issue.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try to throw you guys for a loop.

When I roll to a stop and take the car out of gear, I go to put it in first and it grinds pretty bad. If I put the car in second, and then into first while holding the clutch down, it does not grind.

If I jam it into 1st while it is grinding, and then take it out of first, while keeping my foot on the clutch, when I go to put it back into first, it doesn't grind.

Any thoughts?

BACNBLAK

Old and Wise(guy)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll try to throw you guys for a loop.

When I roll to a stop and take the car out of gear, I go to put it in first and it grinds pretty bad. If I put the car in second, and then into first while holding the clutch down, it does not grind.

If I jam it into 1st while it is grinding, and then take it out of first, while keeping my foot on the clutch, when I go to put it back into first, it doesn't grind.

Any thoughts?

Back in the day (1960s), this was always the procedure for putting the trans into first: Take a stab at second then slide it into first. I still do this today, even with my viper spec T56.
Here's another old tip, if you can't get the trans into first, put it into reverse, go backwards an inch or so, then put into first. Works every time. :highfive:

Last edited:

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
I need these torque limiters bad! I've owned 2 06 GTs and both have had shifting problems into 2nd like everybody is talking about.
:deadhorse:

3rd is pretty easy to get into but miss about a quarter to a half of power shifts without letting off the gas and 4th i can power shift into 99% of the time without the limiter. I imagine this torque limiter will fix the 1-2 shift the way everybody is talkin about them.

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score
Reviving from the dead but as a new to me 2005 GT owner I'm concerned.

The car has been great for a month. Two weeks ago we had some nice weather (55-60F) and I loved it. Car drove great, etc. Then we got 5-8" of snow and it's been <30F ever since the 18th. It SEEMS like ever since driving in that snow storm, or ever since the weather has gotten colder (again), my car HATES going into 2nd at high RPM's quickly.

Before I could RIP that sucker as hard as I could right into 2nd with minor resistance (normal) and light em up. Now when doing it, I get a GOD awful grind. If I go slowly up to 6k (so theres no torque on the motor/trans mounts) and rip it in, it grinds just barely... but WOT @ 1-2 and it's bad. Sounds like a missed shift, but it goes in.

I plan on changing the fluid with something else as a precautionary measure, as I'm on stock fluid @ 78k.. but I dread it is the syncros going and that's going to be one costly fix.

What do you guys think? It literally seemed like one day it was fine the next it sucked. I'm almost sure it was like that because I remember the day it first did it, I had trouble getting it into 2nd all day. Note that low RPM shifts in the cold mornings, and regular driving, all feels normal. I can tear it into 2nd @ 4k just perfect.

Last edited:

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
^ Just get motor mounts and the torque limiters from CHE like everybody has said. If you don't wanna do it that way then wait for the T56 for our cars with the direct mount shifter lol. I still haven't done motor mounts or the torque limiters! I need to

ayabrego

Sprayed yaaa
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has problems shifting into reverse under normal driving conditions. I always feel like I have to slam it into reverse. Any ideas?

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
^ I hope you're joking. And do you have rims from the new edge? Sorry to go off topic I was too curious

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back