The Great Intercooler Water Pump Test

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by Department Of Boost, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Department Of Boost

Department Of Boost Alpha Geek

And 4-5 months more of fantastic snowmobiling!!!:rockit:

2. RusElKnight

RusElKnight Junior Member

Man, I didn't see this on the DOB forums. But I'm glad I didn't go with the meziere 20gpm. Saved me some coin for sure.

3. wht67

wht67 Member

Back from the dead.... Any test results on the newer GT500 pump?

4. Department Of Boost

Nope, I have been slammed. Next week.:wink:

5. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

I'm waiting for the results with anticipated breath. Dunno what size fittings are on the in + out. If it comes with 3/4" fittings..then what ? If you can morph it up to say 1.25" hose, you still have the 3/4" bottle neck, but flow, on paper should still improve. If you get ur hands on one, perhaps measure that for all of us, plus weigh + hwd.....and how much current it sucks under load. Measure the Vdc...right at the pump when u do this.

Depending on type of motor used, some will improve with more vdc..some don't.

http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/gonn...pumps-in-series-to-maximize-cooling-motorama/ You may have read this info b4. 1-2-3 Bosch pumps in series...vs 1-2-3 jabsco cyclone pumps in series. 2 x Bosch is better than 1 cyclone. 2 x cyclones is better than 3 x Bosch...and very effective. The gain from a 3rd pump is minimal, 6%. Either 2 x bosch or 2 x cyclones was the most effective setup.

Apparently, liquids follow the same basic rules as air pumps. If you want to double the flow rate, you have to quadruple the pressure. Required pressure goes up to the square of the ratios. Triple the gpm means 9 x the pressure...which is extremely difficult to pull off. Even a 50% increase in flow rate requires a (1.5 x 1.5) = 2.25 times increase in pressure.

Your method of lowering pressure requirements by using 1.25" fitting on everything in the path, ic-he-degas-pump etc, will work good. Even using 1.25" hoses on 3/4" fittings will work... the pressure should drop where the bigger diam hoses are used.

That re-programmed stewart emp flows a bunch.... but the damned things sucks 25A !

Extrapolating the data... two of the 13-14 GT-500 pumps in series...along with 1.25" fitting and hoses, where ever possible, and big enough ga wire to minimize V drops is probably going to be as good as it gets.

6. Department Of Boost

It has 3/4" fittings.

I haven't run this exact test, but something like it. With the EWP150 (turbo pump) at 1.25" everywhere (a full system with IC, HE and hose) it moved 19gpm . I put a 1" ID 1" long restrictor at the IC (in and out) and flow dropped to 16.75gpm. If you run the turbo pump at 1" everywhere it flows 14gpm. So there is absolutely an improvement in running bigger lines and keeping the restrictions to a minimum. But, if you run the Turbo pump at 3/4" everywhere it flows 8.5gpm. So it takes a pretty good whack at 3/4".

Fuzzy math says that if you run the Turbo pump and everything at 1.25", but pout a 3/4" restriction in you get 11.4gpm. Fuzzy math though. But maths out that there is an advantage running 1.25" everywhere on a 3/4" restriction.

That said the 13' GT500 pump will have to work VERY well to be a better buy than the Turbo pump. The Turbo pump is a lot less money, it has 1.25" ports and I don't think the GT500 pump will out flow it. Maybe it will on a full 3/4" system, maybe. But I highly doubt it will at 1" and 1.25".

I have one here. That's the plan.

Interesting link. All that data is theory though correct?

Yeah, it's a BEAST! I'm skeptical that two GT500 pumps in series will outflow it though.

That will cost about the same as the Lingenfelter pump.

7. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

That's informative data you have collected so far.

I have not stacked 2 water pumps in series, but have done it with 2 x identical centrifugal air pumps, and yes the pressure (under load) goes way up. For folks who have oem 3/4" fittings and hoses on everything, adding a 2nd Bosch pump in series may well be a cost effective approach.

I'm stuck with 3/4" fittings and hoses on my 2010 M90 IC-degas-pump-HE loop. To modify all of it would be a real bitch of a job. Short term solution would be a 2nd pump in series, or a bigger pump..and /or 100% distilled water + water wetter in the loop. There is also an issue if a bigger pump will even fit where the oem Bosch pump resides..which is in front of the oem 18" tall x 21" wide Roush HE.... just down from the top right hand corner of the HE. Everything just barely fits as it. I don't have any more depth to play with.

Loads of room between He and AC rad. But the oem power steering cooler ( with it's circular fins) is a super tight fit, sandwiched between bottom of HE and the AC rad. I'd have to fab 4 x new shorter HE standoffs, then relocate the pwr steering cooler to... in front of the HE. Or re-locate any new IC pump assy altogether.

Per that fellow's analysis, 2 x Bosch pumps will flow 53% more. That should be easy to actually measure.

If you look at his heat xfmr info, note that 1 kw = 3150 btu's. You are correct though, it's all theory. Another method to extract more heat in the IC ( HE too) is to make it from copper, instead of Aluminum. Cu conducts heat way more than Al, but that's not the issue here, as you have shown that the IC is not the issue, it's the lack of flow rate through the IC. Cu is almost triple the weight of AL...so that's another issue, esp for a HE. As is, you are already extracting enough heat in the IC.... to boil the coolant. Using 100% distilled water + water wetter and /or a Cu Ic is probably pointless..... until the flow rate is increased by a substantial amount.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  8. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

This looks promising. Ripple vs jacuzzi. Sounds like double the gpm to me.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  9. hamish

hamish forum member

Looking forward to any results you find on this 2013/14 Gt500 Pump.
    Good luck with the testing.

10. DiMora

DiMora More Is Better

Any 13/14 GT500 pump results yet? Let's resurrect this thread.

I'm about to go with a Stewart EMP High Volume Intercooler Pump 25 Amp model number ST-1030085005P0005A because I know it is proven and I hate buying stuff twice (or in the case of pumps and intercoolers, 3 times now for me as I try new experiments with various setups). (It looks like Stewart EMP found out Lingenfelter was re-programming their pump and charging an extra $100.00, so now they do it themselves and sell if for the same price as the original pump ($450). Lingenfelter also sells that model number pump now since it has the "Lingenfelter" programming now right from the Stewart-EMP factory. The question now is does the 12/14 GT500 pump do as well as the EMP for less money ($250 shipped)?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018